Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What a performance - Little Tier Point Run goes Pete Tong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat

Well,to say a little tier point run, has gone completely Pete Tong then that would be an understatement.

This was supposed to be a simple LBA-LHR-LBA (BA1341/BA1344) run, to earn the 65 points needed for Silver, after I lost 3 months of travelling due to a family bereavement and a broken foot.

So...

Amazing quick security at Leeds Bradford Airport, super friendly lounge staff, and a bacon buttie in the Yorkshire Lounge If it wasnt a pain in the a$%Ł to get to from the bottom end of Yorkshire this may be my new airport of choice, rather than crossing the border to Manchester

BA1341 LBA - LHR Delayed by 40 Minutes due to Baggage in the hold not matching the manifest so a 35 minutes to Terminal 5A t

Just before reaching Regent Street, notification that BA1344 LHR - LBA had been cancelled and they had rebooked me on the 9.20am flight tomorrow (14/08) errrm , nope things to do people to see, first agent offered only offered refund, but put me throughto Customer Relations, who where baffled why he hadnt offered me MAN or NCL. so back through to Changes who told me to start MAN had one seat in ET or NCL which was in CE, i said NCL and it was agreed that I would claim back Trains and Taxis to LBA to get me car. so all was well, back in an Uber to Paddington for the HEX.

BA1336 - Whilst in the Uber, my phone pinged again for me to find out that my new flight had been cancelled, so spoke to the Silver Line, and one the best agents ive dealt with in a long time. who looked at the booking and said everything to Manchester was full, so the only thing left was either accept the rebook for tomorrow, or take a refund, and claim back the train fare and taxi fare to LBA and any other expenses.

As i was meant to be travelling in CE, they all mentioned when asked if booking first class as acceptable and they all said they cant see why not as i booked CE on a cash booking, do as anyone had issues with this as most trains north are rammed from 3pm onwards especially during the school holdiays in Standard.

He also said to claim the TP's as only being 25 points away and not for the want of trying Customer Relations should credit them to you (any one else has this ??)

So here I am sat on BA Flight LNER 1533 to Leeds class 43 HST rather than Airbus A319 :-)

Just to add the other week I had the same with FlyMayBE, first flight cancelled then the nearly rebooked flight cancelled, and then spent 4 hrs in a taxi from SOU to MAN

Whilst at Kings Cross, when i bought my ticket, the guy at the desk mentioned they are seeing more and more BA passengers buying tickets to Leeds anc claiming them back off BA....
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There seem to be quite a few cancellations today including one rotation on pretty much every domestic route. Don't know whether this is still problems arising from crew/aircraft out of place on Friday - added to that it seems there has been significant storms over mainland Europe for a few days now.

BA1396 LHR-MAN 1600
BA912 LHR-FRA 1610
BA440 LHR-AMS 1610
BA398 LHR-BRU 1620
BA1344 LHR-LBA 1700
BA956 LHR-MUC 1720
BA1454 LHR-EDI 1725
BA718 LHR-ZRH 1730
BA580 LHR-MXP 1805
BA1492 LHR-GLA 1815
BA1336 LHR-NCL 1815
BA838 LHR-DUB 1840
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I feel for you and am currently telling myself off for laughing as I read this. You couldn't make it up if you tried could you.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA
I had my LHR-LBA flight cancelled at the start of the year and was told they'd pay me back for my train home both on the phone and in person. They refused when I put in the claim, but then settled once I'd filed on MCOL. Good luck, I hope you don't have to go through that. I've not booked anything with BA since, I'll soon be flying Virgin for the first time in about 20 years, and today booked a Thomas Cook trans-Atlantic flight (it can't be any worse than BA, where my last A380 flight had a cockroach in the seat which walked over my neighbour's food tray!)
EuropeToAsia likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Don't count your chickens. I had a VS lgw-jfk reward flight booked back in April. It was brought forward and my partner got notification but I didn't so just to be safe I checked the app and found my flight had disappeared. Long story short 8 phone calls, Ł40+ of phone charges and 4 days later ( less than 48hrs before the flight) virgin sorted it but not before an agent had told me it was my fault as I'd "phoned three times the day of the booking so you probably made it happen".

Suffice to say I cashed out my miles with VS and delisted them as a pref carrier after that debacle.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

There are currently some nasty weather conditions coming up the ECML, bolt lightning and very heavy rain, so can understand why they are not flying us through it.

Its a case laugh or cry, and i chose to laugh, and as i told the missus im having an adventure, and the present i bought for her has cost me nowt now

@ stevekinguk I hope it doesn't come to that, as a walk up single back to Leeds ain't cheap, as KARFA will agree unless you book months in advance. I must admit the service is rather good on LNER 1st Class, a lot better than my usual route home via the Midland Mainline.. and on par with Club Europe, but with a table to work on and WiFi :-)

Ahh well over the last 5 years and over 400 flights ive only ever had 2 cancellations, both in the last 3 weeks, lol

@twclam we have a Thomas Cook booking as well, in order to try something new, booked Premium Economy to Barbados next March, so looking forwarc to trying a different type of Airline
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There have been some pretty harsh weather cells crossing East Anglia today tracking south-ish. One of those could definitely cause you to reconsider your desire to takeoff or land until 20 minutes later when it is gone. That would also decimate the domestic schedule, as noted above.

Some people on the road outside my office were making new close friends. New close friends with umbrellas
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:23 am

@atmorris I will concede that, imo, VS premium economy product is better than BA's. I have 6 sectors on VS and whilst none on BA's from sight and chatting to a couple about their experience of BAs virgin seem to come out better.

Hope you have a good experience just be ready to out your foot down regarding club house / lounge access at outstations ( if your ticket gives it to you) as Premium Econ access ease can be patchy at best if not a major station for VS. I've always goyten in but it's taken some arguments at times
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by atmorris
He also said to claim the TP's as only being 25 points away and not for the want of trying Customer Relations should credit them to you (any one else has this ??)
I had a similar situation and BA gave me ORC for the flight even though I took ground transportation.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:36 am

There are currently some nasty weather conditions coming up the ECML, bolt lightning and very heavy rain, so can understand why they are not flying us through it.

Its a case laugh or cry, and i chose to laugh, and as i told the missus im having an adventure, and the present i bought for her has cost me nowt now

@ stevekinguk I hope it doesn't come to that, as a walk up single back to Leeds ain't cheap, as KARFA will agree unless you book months in advance. I must admit the service is rather good on LNER 1st Class, a lot better than my usual route home via the Midland Mainline.. and on par with Club Europe, but with a table to work on and WiFi :-)

Ahh well over the last 5 years and over 400 flights ive only ever had 2 cancellations, both in the last 3 weeks, lol

@twclam we have a Thomas Cook booking as well, in order to try something new, booked Premium Economy to Barbados next March, so looking forwarc to trying a different type of Airline
Dont forget to have one of the sausage rolls. My Labrador swears by them on the train.
atmorris likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Dont forget to have one of the sausage rolls. My Labrador swears by them on the train.
I did indeed have the warm sausage roll and brown sauce, now if only they did a warm pork pie as well.. mmmm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:15 pm

I did indeed have the warm sausage roll and brown sauce, now if only they did a warm pork pie as well.. mmmm
They also have black pudding in the full english before 11.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
This was supposed to be a simple LBA-LHR-LBA (BA1341/BA1344) run, to earn the 65 points needed for Silver,

If it wasnt a pain in the a$%Ł to get to from the bottom end of Yorkshire this may be my new airport of choice, rather than crossing the border to Manchester
This wasn’t how the North of England Tourist Board described the joys of living up north to me in another thread on this forum over the weekend.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:16 pm

I have worked out the Peter Tong is not a good person but where does that come from? Was he a mass murderer or worse, for example, a steward who poured the F whines in the galley?
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Greenpen; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:22 pm Reason: Error in punctuation.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I have worked out the Peter Tong is not a good person but where does that come from? Was he a mass murderer or worse, for example, a steward who poured the F whines in the galley
Hi,
From here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Tong

It is rhyming slang for " going a bit wrong"

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.