Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to book Google Flights fare without calling BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott

Quick question, pulled up a fare on GF that is only bookable by phone. Flight Centre haven’t been able to pull up the price. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to book through OTA opposed to speaking to BA or Cathay.

https://goo.gl/flights/MgMZX
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Try Expedia
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Looked at ITA get slightly higher fare (not exact flights but same dates) but unable to book using power tools.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d call BA and book direct with them. Why don’t you want to call? I’d rather use the airline than an OTA
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
The OP mentions flight centre, does that not mean that he already tried, but they couldn't match the fare he found?
Or am I misunderstanding?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
It's been my experience that when Google Flights says book by phone it really means Google Flights isn't reading the fare rules correctly and that combo of flights and fares isn't bookable at all. The fact that a travel agent couldn't get it to price either seems to be pointing in that direction.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:52 pm

That fare is too good to be true.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
You are better phoning up BA (don't use the 0844 number from a mobile or you will need a second mortgage). Alternative numbers are available. Don't try and call the status lines unless you have status, they ask you to verify it now.

I see n reason why the fare is not available because if you strip out one of the shorter flights you get similar options on other OW carriers. Commonly phoning BA will give you a crazy price because they need to book things like the cathay flight in an expensive class.

EG. My WT+ flight form GLA-LHR-HKG-TPE then TPE-HKG-PEK then PEK-LHR-GLA in a couple of weeks was £2,600 but I dropped the TPE-HKG-PEK leg and save £900. Then book that leg direct with CX for about £180 in Economy flex or £220 in PE flex.

Call BA and see what they can do and ask them if one leg is a crazy price. Look at the linking sectors to get a rough price in advance and if the BA price is complementary then go for it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Can you see the same fare via ITA Matrix? If you can find it there the fare conditions/information could be helpful
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Originally Posted by FinnRolo
The OP mentions flight centre, does that not mean that he already tried, but they couldn't match the fare he found?
Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes unfortunately the TA at Flight centre couldn’t match the fare. No luck in ITA matrix either... must be too good to be true :-( ... I guess it is back to £1500 economy fares.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Calum
Is it? In June I flew WLG-SYD-HKG Stopover HKG-LHR, LHR-DOH-MEL on BA/BA codeshares for around £550. That fare doesn't look that crazy!

Edit: Ah it's around Christmas, ignore me!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
You do realise it’s economy?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
You are better phoning up BA (don't use the 0844 number from a mobile or you will need a second mortgage). Alternative numbers are available. Don't try and call the status lines unless you have status, they ask you to verify it now.

I see n reason why the fare is not available because if you strip out one of the shorter flights you get similar options on other OW carriers. Commonly phoning BA will give you a crazy price because they need to book things like the cathay flight in an expensive class.

EG. My WT+ flight form GLA-LHR-HKG-TPE then TPE-HKG-PEK then PEK-LHR-GLA in a couple of weeks was £2,600 but I dropped the TPE-HKG-PEK leg and save £900. Then book that leg direct with CX for about £180 in Economy flex or £220 in PE flex.

Call BA and see what they can do and ask them if one leg is a crazy price. Look at the linking sectors to get a rough price in advance and if the BA price is complementary then go for it.
I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago on a business class booking that was LHR-HEL-SIN-BKK-HEL-LHR

It was a last-minute trip and the direct flights on BA and SQ were over £4,500. Google Flights found me the above routing for £2,400 with the SIN-BKK in CX on an A350 that went on to HKG. When I tried to book it online on BA as a multi-city booking it showed no flight. When I tried online with Finnair it gave me nearly the right price but it substituted Jeststar for the CX flight. I called up BA and after a lot of huffing and puffing they came back with a price of...[drum roll] £8,700! I then called Finnair (where I have no direct status) and a very helpful person managed to book the whole itinerary in C (with zero change or cancellation fees) for the GF price plus a small booking fee. I flew it this week and all worked smoothly. The long haul Finnair flights were on lovely A350s too and the first couple of flights have credited to my BAEC account after 5 days.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
Is it? In June I flew WLG-SYD-HKG Stopover HKG-LHR, LHR-DOH-MEL on BA/BA codeshares for around £550. That fare doesn't look that crazy!

Edit: Ah it's around Christmas, ignore me!
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You do realise it’s economy?
Ahhhh my eyes were letting me down, I thought it was J. Very good deal for economy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.