First BA flight after reached Gold

Old Aug 12, 18, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

First BA flight after reached Gold

Hello,
I am new here at FT and I found great posts and informations. In JUN I reached the BA Gold status and on friday last week I hat my first flight with BA in CE after I reached the Gold level.
I was a bit dissapointed that I didnīt get a welcome from the cabin director either on the in or outbound flight to/from London. I read here that the new Gold members got a nice greeting after they reached the level but nothing. Maybe the status has no value anymore for the crew, I think there where only 2 Gold on a full flight outbound Ifrom London what i could see on the IPhad of the purser from 1C. By the way I ordered AVML that was really great.
What is your experience?
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:17 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by chan36 View Post
Hello,
I am new here at FT and I found great posts and informations. In JUN I reached the BA Gold status and on friday last week I hat my first flight with BA in CE after I reached the Gold level.
I was a bit dissapointed that I didnīt get a welcome from the cabin director either on the in or outbound flight to/from London. I read here that the new Gold members got a nice greeting after they reached the level but nothing. Maybe the status has no value anymore for the crew, I think there where only 2 Gold on a full flight outbound Ifrom London what i could see on the IPhad of the purser from 1C. By the way I ordered AVML that was really great.
What is your experience?
It's very random. As GGL my hit rate is way less than 50%. There is a whole thread on it somewhere....
chan36 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by chan36 View Post
I was a bit dissapointed that I didnīt get a welcome from the cabin director either on the in or outbound flight to/from London. I read here that the new Gold members got a nice greeting after they reached the level but nothing. Maybe the status has no value anymore for the crew, I think there where only 2 Gold on a full flight outbound Ifrom London what i could see on the IPhad of the purser from 1C.
From posts on here I would say it is totally random. Unless you enjoy the spectacle of other people looking on while the crew member says "Hello Mr....er....[insert sound of tapping on ipad]....Chan".

If done sincerely it is good, otherwise you haven't missed much.
chan36 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
You'll be surprised to find your BAEC gold (OWE) status gets more attention when flying one of the Oneworld partner airlines. IME, especially when flying CX and JL
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming flight with CX in DEC so I let me suprise!
Old Aug 13, 18, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
You'll be surprised to find your BAEC gold (OWE) status gets more attention when flying one of the Oneworld partner airlines. IME, especially when flying CX and JL
BAEC silver as well. The chance of upgrades on CX shorthaul can be phenomenal
chan36 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Also AY. Always get a warm welcome and champagne as a BA gold. (And hold luggage on hand baggage only fares!)
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I'd say out of the last 100 flights I've taken as a Gold it has been acknowledged around 3-4 times. Twice it was awkward, and twice it was done well,. So on the whole it doesn't happen that often (more on long haul than short haul) and when it happened its not always welcome.
chan36 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia View Post
BAEC silver as well. The chance of upgrades on CX shorthaul can be phenomenal
I was already in J-class for the tier points so no upgrade, but the JL domestic auto-boarding gates are clearly programmed to highlight the presence of OWS/OWE and give a different bong so that the GA nearby could offer some espeially cheerful greeting while I wandered past in my own noise-cancelling cocoon.
chan36 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Nordic Choice Gold
I remember the cabin attendant introducing himself to me, welcoming me on board and shaking my hand,

This was in CE on NCL-LHR
Old Aug 13, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Be thankful, when it does happen the Gold welcome is always incredibly awkward
ppp909 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
You can go from no recognition to extremely awkward reading a script to extremely well done greetings. It all depends on the crew.

You will get more consistency on other OW airlines as stated up thread. You will find AA can be extremely inconsistent as well, they also will refer to you as Exec Plat rather than OW Emerald.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Back when I was a Gold, my first flight as a Gold was out of Gatters, back when they were using the North Terminal. On the F-lounge desk there was no fuss, but once seated a member of BA staff came over to where I was sat, asked if they could join me, thanked me for choosing to fly BA and partners enough to make Gold and if I had any questions or needed anything explaining.

I didn't get an "iPad" Gold greeting on the aircraft that day, but I was one of the last to board, had POUGed on the flight, and being carry-on only and a full CE cabin on a 737, there wasn't much overhead space left. Seeing that I was struggling to find space for my carry on, one of the crew came over. I offered to gate-check the bag. The crew member said "No, let me just see if I can put my own bag in the wardrobe or flight deck, and make space for yours. It's the least I can do for a loyal customer."

My last proper Gold "thing" I remember was on a LHR-MAD flight, and the Purser (it being a EF flight) came down ask how I was - no iPad in hand - and if they could get me a drink from the CE bar. Sadly, I didn't feel like booze, so I guess I missed out, but instead she fetched me coffee in a proper cup and some CE biscuits or cake (can't remember exactly what now).

I do recall taking other flights where the In-charge crew member has hovered near my seat with their iPad but then not said anything, which is almost worse.

As others say, when it's done well, you feel appreciated as a guest of BA. When it's done robotically, it feels exactly that.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The OP is in good company. I never received a "Welcome to Gold" greeting the first time I achieved the status. Over the years I occasionally get a Gold greeting, but usually I do not. I don't find it awkward and it is a nice touch, but I don't expect it. I received one recently on both the outbound and inbound sectors whilst travelling in WTP on a long haul flight. I can imagine that on certain short sectors (especially status heavy routes) it is probably asking a bit much of the crew to give sch a greeting if there are more than 2 or 3 golds in the cabin.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
LHR-DUS this week, CE outbound and economy inbound.

Got absolutely no recognition on the way out - not called by name, no welcome back or thank you and everything seemed to be delivered begrudgingly.

Same-day changed the inbound leg, so ended up with the entire 5ABC block (front row of economy) to myself when first ticketed at 2 a.m. but the seat block either never happened or didn't last, so I was in C as a GGL, a gold was in A with another passenger (status unknown) in B. I got the full CSD greeting and a free bottle of water; gold in A wasn't greeted at all. Would still have preferred the seat block, tbh, especially as the B seat passenger put a largeish backpack under the seat and accommodated the lack of footroom by spreading out his knees.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: