Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed connection: BA says I landed at LGW but I actually landed at LHR (what to do?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection: BA says I landed at LGW but I actually landed at LHR (what to do?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm a newbie to flyertalk, so this may be the wrong place for posting.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice about a way to proceed. It's a bit of a saga so I apologise up front. Having said that, it may be an interesting/ unusual experience.

BA0547 from FCO to LHR on Weds 18 July 2018. The day of the Fire Evacuation at ATC in LHR, followed by Amadeus IT problems.
We had a connecting flight LHR to ABZ (BA1316). The interval between arrival (LHR) and dev (to ABZ) was one hour and five minutes (tight but do-able).

During the flight, the Captain said we were being diverted to LGW (it would become apparent that this was due to the fire evacuation at LHR's ATC). Soon after he said we were back to landing at LHR.

We landed at LHR and quickly got through passport control at flight connections but our boarding passes would not allow us through the electronic gates.
We were directed back up to zone 3 of LHR Term 5 to BA customer desk. Around this time the computers also died on BA. We were near the front of the queue, which soon turned into hundreds of passengers.

We got a letter from BA, along with verbal advice that BA couldn't help us, but to keep receipts and invoice BA, then had to find our own way regarding transport, accommodation, sustenance, and so on.
We did not have our bags (the bags arrived home on Sat evening), so we got basics at Boots (LHR), got a hotel in London (they were going thick and fast), then got the train into London.
In the morning BA said the earliest we could get transport home was in three days time. This was no use to us (I had work) so we made alternative arrangements (i.e. train to Aberdeen and taxi home).

We believed we were entitled to refunds and compensation, so I went through Resolver.
BA were quick to refund hotel and refreshments, along with cost of missed flight (i.e. LHR to ABZ). They said we were not entitled to cost of travel home as we had made these arrangements off our own bat.

Using Resolver, I went through the process of negotiation with BA for the 8 weeks to no agreement.
They argued extraordinary circumstances for the delay (but in the mean time I made a freedom of information request of the CAA - they informed me that the FCO - LHR plane gates opened at 1630, and the LHR - ABZ closed 1730 - therefore there should have been enough time to make the connection - i.e. one hour). My argument was that the delay caused by the fire evacuation also affected the other flights in the same way, so the extraordinary circumstances did not apply. BA held their stance.

I took the case to CEDR for adjudication. BA soon made an offer to refund our train fare back to Aberdeen, which I rejected, as I believed I was also due compensation according to EC 261 (and more for the lack of support). BA's main argument was that the flight was diverted to LGW, landing there at 1628. They provided logs which they interpreted as such, to the adjudicator. I tried to make the case that I had evidence (e.g. CAA freedom of information letter, receipts at LHR, as well as being there) to show that my arrival was actually at LHR. I expected CEDR to investigate the actual arrival destination and come to the correct conclusion that BA0547 did actually land at LHR. After a further 8 weeks, CEDR have come back to say that BA have proved that the plane landed at LGW, therefore I missed the connection. They have said I am partially successful and offering the same as BA (i.e. train fare home).

So now I'd like to get advice:
Should I accept and leave it at that (in the knowledge that I landed at LHR and BA are getting off the EC261/2004 compensation hook by 'proving' I landed at LGW)?
Should I accept and then try to take the compensation to small claims (Scotland).
Should I reject and then try to get the refund and compensation to small claims.
Was anyone else on the FCO to LHR flight BA0547 that day and missed their connection? Have they fared any better?
[I was with my wife and daughter, along with another couple and their daughter]
Should I go to the press (it should be at least embarrassing to BA that they don't know where their planes land - as well as CEDR not following this up)?
Has anyone gone through the small claims process after adjudication has gone against them?

It seems crazy to me but I'd love to hear from anyone.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Alex261
I am moving your thread to the BA Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks obscure2k.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

you may get more help on the dedicated EU261 thread The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Alex261,

I see you've successfully found the dedicated EC261 thread, so I'll close this thread and invite our members to follow your post in the main thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA foum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.