Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sleeper service and F lounge offering in Vancouver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I flew YVR to LHR on Friday which was delayed by 2 hours due to the late arriving inbound because of weather at LHR. The F lounge offering in YVR is pretty poor - some curly sandwiches on display, crisps/nuts and cookies and soup offered from a small kitchenettes - so my poor kids were starving by the time dinner was served at around midnight. The CC serving us asked whether we had not had time to have a meal in the F lounge and was shocked when I said there was not really anything to eat. A few minutes later that CSD appeared and again queried the food offering in the F lounge, apologised and said that it was not good enough and that she would be logging it as feedback (even thought I had only mentioned it in conversation and had not complained).

The CSD then went in to say that as the flight is a sleeper service BA is obliged to provide hot food in the lounges and that the lack of hot food explained why they were having a surprisingly high take up of the full meal service in both F and CW. It only occurred to me later that maybe the soup was the obligatory hot food offering but, if so, it’s pretty poor.

i have to say I was surprised that the YVR flight is considered a sleeper service as I thought that only applied to TALT flights from the East coast of the US.

We had excellent service on both the outbound and inbound flights with personable and attentive CC including a CSD on the outbound flight had worked for BA for almost 50 years. The VYR outbound flight at 17.20 is well timed allowing for full enjoyment of the F experience and we flew like a rocket on the return in just 8 hours 9 minutes.

I was able share the FT instructions for cooking a BA steak medium-rare resulting in 3 perfectly cooked meals. The chef did say that it is a bit of a challenge to cook the steaks separately when cooking for a full F cabin as they only have 2 ovens but she gave it a go anyway.

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Perhaps the crew were incorrect, as the BA website does not list Vancouver as a sleeper service route.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The crew member was indeed incorrect. This is not a sleeper service, nor is there any sleeper service west of Chicago as far as I know.

This does not excuse such poor offerings in a BA F lounge and I'm glad if she logs it, especially considering the widely better options available from some other North American West Coast airports.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It's been a while since I flew from YVR, but always had full meal service on board.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The lounge guide BA Lounge Database | North America

states that the food offering is

variety of sandwiches / wraps
savoury and sweet snacks

Also

no preflight dining

There is food e.g. noodles / dim sum / burgers in the CX lounge
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
By the new Club World standards, YVR-LHR comes under the same menu as all other Canada departures which is a full dinner + the breakfast card service the next morning. Maybe this is what's meant by the sleeper service?

BA85 is the standard post-5pm meal service. Full dinner service + tapas/light meal summer service.

Perhaps we should update the Dashboard with a full worldwide catering guide? I'd be happy to contribute.

Had (perhaps the most proactive ever?) lounge attendant in the Flounge there. Yes, the lack of food was disappointing but we planned to eat onboard. If you're looking for something and the BA84 is delayed you can try and get into the Cathay lounge's noodle bar when it opens, though it might be tight timing.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

We asked at check-in whether there was another OW lounge and were told CX was not open. As it happened, due to the delay we probably could have gone to the CX lounge as I noticed it was open on my third traverse of the concourse trying to entertain the kids.

I was was aware of the limited lounge offering so had no expectation of food. I just though it odd (and endearing) that the CC were so concerned about it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
When I flew BA from Vancouver in June we were given invitations for the Plaza Premium lounge due to the BA lounge having capacity issues. The BA check-in agent hinted fairly obviously that the food was better in there, and it was, up to a point... although that probably wasn’t saying much!

They have a noodle/soup bar in the PP
lounge and my OH was seemingly impressed with her fishball noodles.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
When I flew BA from Vancouver in June we were given invitations for the Plaza Premium lounge due to the BA lounge having capacity issues. The BA check-in agent hinted fairly obviously that the food was better in there, and it was, up to a point... although that probably wasn’t saying much!

They have a noodle/soup bar in the PP
lounge and my OH was seemingly impressed with her fishball noodles.
Yaaaaaa! if OP got a PP then should definitely go into the PP (i.e. Skyteam) lounge~ much much better food/drinks than BA or even CX lounge from my experience
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by shek3112
Yaaaaaa! if OP got a PP then should definitely go into the PP (i.e. Skyteam) lounge~ much much better food/drinks than BA or even CX lounge from my experience
Have you been to the new CX lounge? The new one that opened a couple of years ago? The noodle bar is fantastic. I had one of the best burgers I have ever tasted there, and I love me a good burger. I believe it opens at 8pm. That would have been my first choice.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The crew member was indeed incorrect. This is not a sleeper service, nor is there any sleeper service west of Chicago as far as I know.

This does not excuse such poor offerings in a BA F lounge and I'm glad if she logs it, especially considering the widely better options available from some other North American West Coast airports.
F section is closed for refurbishment at YVR.

Everybody is squeezed into the J section, which with a 380 running during the summer is a tight squeeze for the space.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
As someone who has used this route regularly for 20 years, there has never been a sleeper service and the lounges have not offer substantial catering precisely because it is a fully catered and relatively long flight.

Obviously if flights get delayed and you are hungry not ideal, but you can hardly expect BA to provide full catering for a rare mishap. The CSD in this case was simply wrong.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

There was definitely an F section on Friday. 3 dining tables of 4 plus around 18 armchairs in an L shaped room. Very tight squeeze for a full A380 F cabin plus guests and golds/emeralds.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew in F from YVR on BA a couple weeks ago and I too was shocked as to how poor that F lounge was. It was very small, only hot food was vegetable soup and food and drink offerings seemed identical to the Business lounge. It was also packed in both the F and J lounge.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
We asked at check-in whether there was another OW lounge and were told CX was not open. As it happened, due to the delay we probably could have gone to the CX lounge as I noticed it was open on my third traverse of the concourse trying to entertain the kids.
Normally it doesn't open in the evening until boarding is commencing for the BA flight. There have been a few times where I've been tempted to run over there for some noodles prior to BA84, but I'm always worried that I'll spend so much time enjoying them that I'll miss the final boarding announcement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.