FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA ski destinations... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1924718-ba-ski-destinations.html)

tinkicker Aug 12, 2018 12:47 am

BA ski destinations...

I haven't been ski-ing for years but the family are keen to try it out. Has anyone got suggestions for BA European family ski destinations closer to budget than Klosters. Looking to use RFS flights to get there and if there is an Accor group hotel I have a few of their points kicking about as well. Thinking Jan 2019 but we can always plan on for next season instead.

Thanks.

squawk Aug 12, 2018 1:25 am

The obvious ones that come to mind would be Innsbruck, Salzburg, and Geneva. In all cases, a hire car makes life easier at the other end, though I think it’s easier in Austria to get to various places by rail.

ThatT1Feeling Aug 12, 2018 1:55 am

Flaine was a good resort we found for families this year - quite close to Geneva and an easy journey. We’d previously been to La Plagne a few times which is also good for families but a longer journey from Geneva. I think your bigger challenge will be finding RFS availability- but this will be easier if you avoid half term of course.

FoxtrotOscar Aug 12, 2018 2:03 am

Check out Cervinia. Fly to Turin (usually very affordable) and it’s about an hour and a bit up the valley in a hire car. Very family friendly with lots of big blues. You can pop over into Switzerland if you like. Italian skiing and food much more affordable than its neighbours.

TedToToe Aug 12, 2018 2:18 am

I would recommend Garmisch Partenkirchen, which we did last year. Flights to and from Munich tend to be cheaper than, say, the likes of Innsbruck. There is definitely a Mercure hotel there.

FlyerTalker39574 Aug 12, 2018 2:54 am

Btw BA have added flights to GVA and TRN from LGW for the winter schedule using some monarch slots, there may be more RFS availability on these routes. STN also has flights to CMF on CJ.

endoman Aug 12, 2018 3:01 am

tons of advice to be found over on Ski Club 2.0 , snowHeads ski forum

How old are family? Can anyone ski? Are you taking skis with you or renting?

Jan should be good for snow in most places, but potentially cold, ( it's when I take first trip of the year cos it's cheaper and less busy)

Crofton138 Aug 12, 2018 3:07 am

Fly into Chambery and then arrange getting to Courchevel 1850 where there is a Mercure.

tinkicker Aug 12, 2018 4:00 am

Originally Posted by endoman (Post 30073309)
tons of advice to be found over on Ski Club 2.0 , snowHeads ski forum

How old are family? Can anyone ski? Are you taking skis with you or renting?

Jan should be good for snow in most places, but potentially cold, ( it's when I take first trip of the year cos it's cheaper and less busy)

Kids are early teens, no one can ski (apart from me ish and it's been 20 years) or has any stuff so it's really just a taster. Trying to find creative ways of using avios / hotel points etc I'm accruing through work to do stuff we probably wouldn't pay to do. So if we can bag BA flights RFS, cheap(er) accommodation and not outrageous beginners ski instruction then we'll do it. I've been thinking Bulgaria, Slovenia, Romania as the cheaper end of Europe.

clubeurope Aug 12, 2018 4:09 am

How about Courchevel? BA does a seasonal to Chambéry apparently, which is around an hours drive from Courchevel. Otherwise it is around 2 hours from Lyon Saint Exupéry which is served year round from Heathrow.

Diver Boy Aug 12, 2018 4:51 am

A bit more of a drive from Turin but Puy St Vincent is a nice small resort. Haven't been for a couple of years but had a decent level of beginners slopes, one of the guys was a complete novice but has lessons and really enjoyed it.

FeedbirdNiner Aug 12, 2018 4:56 am

+1 for Turin if you are budget conscious. Usually cheap and we've found reward availability fairly easily. Car hire is also cheap from TRN - then you've got a plethora of good resorts within a two hour drive. I'd recommend Montgenevre for a family or Sestriere.

endoman Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker (Post 30073400)
Kids are early teens, no one can ski (apart from me ish and it's been 20 years) or has any stuff so it's really just a taster. Trying to find creative ways of using avios / hotel points etc I'm accruing through work to do stuff we probably wouldn't pay to do. So if we can bag BA flights RFS, cheap(er) accommodation and not outrageous beginners ski instruction then we'll do it. I've been thinking Bulgaria, Slovenia, Romania as the cheaper end of Europe.

Courchevel would work, but is mighty expensive, look for English instructors if possible , plenty in 3V. Smaller resorts also worth a look, but may not have Accor hotels. Austria would suit as well, Innsbruck has many ideal places on the doorstep.

tinkicker Aug 12, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by endoman (Post 30073816)
but is mighty expensive, .

Alas that would count it out immediately :-)

endoman Aug 12, 2018 8:31 am

There's a Mercure in Arc 1800, maybe not classically pretty, but great skiing and potential for English instruction.