Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should First wine not be poured in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I have rejected a few bottles of wine in restaurants after tasting, and never done so lightly. I have always asked the server to try some on the understanding that if they think it’s OK I will stick with it. None have accepted the offer and all have replaced the bottle every time. I think it’s a fair and necessary process with wooden corks. Nothing to do with just being fussy or theatrical.
If there is a problem with the item , then the right to have it replaced exists regardless - there is no need for theatrics on it

No different to if there was a problem with the meal itself - there isn't a meed for the waiter to provide a small piece of the meal for tasting before serving the whole meal in order to be able to complain if there is an issue
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:32 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by ppp909
I can't imagine many restaurants would open a bottle allow you to taste it and then decide you want a different one, at the restaurant's expense. The whole point is to allow you to tell if it is corked. How good you are at this varies from person to person.
I specified wine by the glass pourings where they absolutely let you change your mind if you don't like it. For a new bottle it is to check if it is off as you said.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why would I want to taste it? Do you expect to be offered a taste of every course of your meal before they serve it?
Are you trying to be obtuse or have you never been to a grown up restaurant?
NoY, Jagboi, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by latteland
Are you saying on the 777 they wouldn't have known better?
I am saying that the more experienced WW crew should have know better.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Perhaps just coincidence but mixed fleet in F I always have wine poured in galley and brought to seat , worldwide - bottle brought to seat every time! I may just be unlucky but had a dreadful F flight to ORD this week with a mixed fleet crew - had to walk to galley multiple times to get not only wine but twice to request if the water glasses could be brought out - crew did absolute minimum they could possibly get away with!
I alwayschad seat pouring until earlier this momth to and from jnb. Mixed fleet crew eas excellent.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why would I want to taste it? Do you expect to be offered a taste of every course of your meal before they serve it?
Wine, especially where a traditional cork is used, can very occasionally be 'corked' which means that air or other contaminants have tainted the wine so that it tastes 'off'. Other factors which can lead to a wine being in poor condition is faulty storage. So whereas a screw top wine has little/less chance of being corked, if it's been sitting around for a while say, in hot conditions, the wine will of poor quality. Drinking a corked wine won't kill you but if you were served mouldy bread, you would likewise send it back. In any case, wine is often an expensive part of the meal, so if it's obviously not right why wouldn't you send it back? No self respecting restaurant would quibble with that.

A few years ago when BA were serving Chateau Talbot in F, we did have a corked bottle. At first I thought it might be my taste buds playing havoc, or a lack of airing, but it just wasn't right. Unfortunately cabin crew aren't allowed to taste (to verify) so the second bottle was opened and very fine it was too.

Going back to the OP I certainly do think that wine should be poured from the bottle at the seat, especially the first glass to verify that the correct wine is being served, and a taste should be offered to ensure the wine is good and to your taste. Ideally, if you're not sure which wine to choose, you ought to be offered a taste of the wines you might like. Drinking wine is one of life's pleasures and if the marketing department are keen to stress the 'fine dining' experience of F then I do think that the drinks service should be done correctly. Not doing this smacks of a lack of training.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Going back to the OP I certainly do think that wine should be poured from the bottle at the seat, especially the first glass to verify that the correct wine is being served, and a taste should be offered to ensure the wine is good and to your taste. Ideally, if you're not sure which wine to choose, you ought to be offered a taste of the wines you might like. Drinking wine is one of life's pleasures and if the marketing department are keen to stress the 'fine dining' experience of F then I do think that the drinks service should be done correctly. Not doing this smacks of a lack of training.
Indeed this is correct. This is party of the etiquette of fine dining which I assumed was what BA offered to people paying thousands to travel in F.

I am not a wine expert, as I much prefer a cold beer, but I think most people would know this. Perhaps apart from the few posters who can't tell vintage champagne from Blue Nun in which case I can appreciate that any tasting or checking of the label would be a waste of time.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:03 am

Seeing the bottle doesn’t matter as they just pour the cheap Y into the more expensive F bottle and show you that, nod appreciatively as you taste and approve before having a giggle in the galley.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:56 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Expanding on this subject I have just returned last night in F from Dallas. What surprised me in both directions is that the crew member didn’t know what Grand Siecle was and I had to say champagne to clarify their blank expression. On the flight out wine served at the table. On the way back it was brought from the galley. This was a full F cabin and the 3 crew worked extremely hard but seem to struggle with the work load. I had to go and request Liberty bag after take off, main course brought to table before starter, wine for starter forgotten. No water offered with meal or after and in the end I had to go to the galley and ask for my bottle. I’m not complaining because the crew were working very hard but it did feel like they needed some help to deliver what F service should be.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
................... I’m not complaining because the crew were working very hard but it did feel like they needed some help to deliver what F service should be.
Given the rather chaotic inflight service you describe, one wonders just what sort of ‘help’ is actually needed .......

- a much higher standard of training

- an additional CC member assigned to F cabin

But here’s another thought : maybe they’re simply in the wrong job. Which is what I might be tempted to conclude if I booked myself into a 5 star hotel, only to experience a similar scenario.

Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by Flyerandmedic
...maybe I expect too much
IMHO, yes, WAY too much.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
... I certainly do think that wine should be poured from the bottle at the seat, especially the first glass to verify that the correct wine is being served ...
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
... What surprised me in both directions is that the crew member didn’t know what Grand Siecle was and I had to say champagne to clarify their blank expression. ...
Both examples highlight how little some CC know about what they're serving.

I want to see the bottle so I know they're pouring the right wine, even though I'm only in CW!
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
You shouldn't have to. I mean even mid-level restaurants where I live bring out the bottle when you order wine by the glass.
Where is it you live? In London - and indeed in France - I wouldn't expect a mid-level restaurant to bring out the bottle when ordering wine by the glass. That would be fairly high end only.

I agree in F it should be done - the notion being that F is high end, even if the food quality is questionable at best.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:24 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Montreal, every decent restaurant that has a by the glass selection will let you taste it and pour your glass from the bottle at the table. Eliminates shenanigans.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Where is it you live? In London - and indeed in France - I wouldn't expect a mid-level restaurant to bring out the bottle when ordering wine by the glass. That would be fairly high end only.

I agree in F it should be done - the notion being that F is high end, even if the food quality is questionable at best.
The difference as well is you cannot order 'by the bottle' on BA.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

Are you trying to be obtuse or have you never been to a grown up restaurant?
You seem to be missing my point. While I agree when being served wine in a First Class cabin it should be poured at your seat I do not expect to be offered a 'taste' to see if it's off. Comparing cabin crew serving performance to that of high end restaurant sommelier is folly. Even the waiter at my local budget priced parrilla uncorks the Malbec at my table before serving me. Does that mean I should expect cabin crew to do the same?.
You have to recognise in this day and age of competitively priced premium air travel cabin crew have many other other customers and duties to attend to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.