Wiki Posts
Search

First time in First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
First time in First

Coming up soon I have my first flight in an international premium cabin, in First class in the nose of the 747. Any insider tips of what I can do the maximize the enjoyment and perks of this experience beyond what is shown on the BA website? I have already looked up what lounges I am eligible for in LHR T3 during my layover (this is a US departing flight) so I am good on that. In particular I had one simple question, I know the PJ's and obviously the amenities kit are mine to take home, I have collected my menus on past flights when offered (simple paper ones in premium economy), are the menus given in F on BA able to be kept, or are they collected and left on board? I have really enjoyed BA in the past in Y and Y+ so I am looking forward to it.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
747 will be memorable I hope you will have a great time.
The list compiled here is usually referenced:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28819911-post6.html
orbitmic, golfmad and squawk like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You can keep it all, though BA probably would like you to leave the bedding and anything firmly attached to the aircraft in its place.

If you tell the crew that it is your first First, they will make it a memorable experience. I know that they did for my parents.

Other than that, don't overthink it and just enjoy. If you go in with too much of a checklist approach you won't focus on the "oh my, this is nice" bit. Much more important than if you have the slippers or not.

Enjoy!
Sealink and PAX_fips like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HiAperture
........................ Any insider tips of what I can do the maximize the enjoyment and perks of this experience beyond what is shown on the BA website? .......................
As already linked above, there’s a lot of accumulated feedback / advice in the archived threads which should hopefully prove helpful for you.

I’m no ‘insider’ - but FWIW here’s my own personal tip, based on experience of their F class product : be very, very cautious in regarding any promotional material you might see published on BA’s own website as a definitive indicator of what you can expect to receive once onboard, in terms of catering or service.

Have a good trip ^
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I would say don't overeat or indulge to excess in the lounge before the outbound flight - obviously it's nice to have a glass of fizz and maybe a light meal. But you'll enjoy the service and the flight more if you're not stuffed and dehydrated.

On the way back - assuming a night flight which is the most usual thing - it's more or less the reverse. Eat well in the lounge and then have a glass of something before bedding down. That way you won't be too full to sleep.
worldtraveller73 and yb90 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:01 am
Original Poster

AAtticus, Looking forward to reading through the referenced thread. Thanks!

Originally Posted by LCY8737
You can keep it all, though BA probably would like you to leave the bedding and anything firmly attached to the aircraft in its place.
Tehe, yea, thanks! I did actually read someone asking if they could keep the bedding when I searched on this. Don't worry, I am not looking to bring any tools with me to disassemble parts of the plane to take home with me I just don't want to put the FA's in an uncomfortable place asking to keep something I am not supposed to. I will make sure to mention to them that it is my first time "turning left".
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I did actually read someone asking if they could keep the bedding when I searched on this.
No harm in asking. In my younger years I had a sizable collection of airline blankets. Crew tended to be very generous with them, mostly giving me one in a plastic wrapper instead of having to take the "used" one from the flight. Once on Lufthansa, this resulted in a look that clearly said "crazy", but then they delivered a Y, J & F blanket so that I would have the full set.
squawk and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
I’m no ‘insider’ - but FWIW here’s my own personal tip, based on experience of their F class product : be very, very cautious in regarding any promotional material you might see published on BA’s own website as a definitive indicator of what you can expect to receive once onboard, in terms of catering or service.
Even with my past experiences in Y+ I understand that what is on the website and web reviews doesn't indicate what your flight, service, and crew will actually provide. I do appreciate the caution. Even when I booked the flight I was aware that BA F isn't considered the most modern and exorbitant experience, and I know that better service is always received when operating out of the airlines hub, but I am excited to have a real bed for a redeye for the first time, as I am a horrible airplane sleeper.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

What route are you flying, so that we can give a tailored response please?
Regards

TBS
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

What route are you flying, so that we can give a tailored response please?
Regards

TBS
Sure, specifically I am on BA208 MIA-LHR. Continuing on to BCN after a ~4hr layover. Actually my wife and I would love it if anyone on here is taking that route and could let us know a recent/current menu, since we don't get to pre-select meals on a US flight. I have already looked at the F catering thread on here and saw a few from JFK.

Last time I took BA206 MIA-LHR in Y+, back in 2012. To me that was great, getting a J entree, J FA's, using J lavs, full size newspapers in the morning, ect. Since we got a paid upgrade at check-in they released us the "mini row" 11JK so it was extra special (I understand a lot of this is going away with the 747 refresh as Y+ is being moved behind CW right in front of Y like most airlines).

Last edited by HiAperture; Aug 11, 2018 at 8:01 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Even with my past experiences in Y+ I understand that what is on the website and web reviews doesn't indicate what your flight, service, and crew will actually provide. I do appreciate the caution. ..................
I’m just mightily relieved - in the altruistic sense, that is - that your ‘first First’ doesn’t involve BA178 out of JFK !
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just take it as it comes is my advice. Don't get sucked in by reading reviews good or bad. We're all different.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
It would be polite to request anything you wish to take beyond the PJs and amenity kit. Seat choice is a big factor on the 747 for enjoyment. If you're by yourself 2A is great if you prefer to drink with you left hand and aren't a gold member, or 2K if you prefer to drink with your right. As a couple 2A/K or 1A/K are the better options.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
It would be polite to request anything you wish to take beyond the PJs and amenity kit. Seat choice is a big factor on the 747 for enjoyment. If you're by yourself 2A is great if you prefer to drink with you left hand and aren't a gold member, or 2K if you prefer to drink with your right. As a couple 2A/K or 1A/K are the better options.
Thanks, we have 2A/K selected, as an status member had already taken 1A, and it wasn't going to be available to me anyhow.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

So BA You First was kind enough to send me my menu in advance since this in an exUSA flight. Any thoughts on the selections? I tend to be drawn to beef options, but have read poor comments on the beef in CW, does that extend to First? I am open to any of them if one is a particularly well regarded dish.

A couple more dumb questions, the cheese plate is in addition to the dessert and served after? Several posts recommend the Pudding Wine, but I can't seem to find any specific information on what that is and when to ask for it? I am assuming it is a dessert wine/digestif?

STARTERS
  • Seared scallops with carrot and ginger purée, aubergine caviar and Espelette spiced courgette
  • Artichoke, truffle and potato salad with quail egg and pickled mushroom
  • Spiced butternut squash soup with roasted pumpkin seeds and a light curry oil
  • Fresh salad leaves with your choice of creamy pesto dressing or balsamic vinaigrette
MAIN COURSES
  • Seared fillet of Midwestern grass-fed beef with mushroom ragoût, creamed potato, garlic confit and Bordelaise sauce
  • Herb roasted monkfish with baby leeks, tagliatelle and lemon and ginger sauce
  • Chicken and mushroom pie, roasted fingerling potatoes,roasted parsnips and chicken jus
  • Orecchiette pasta with pea, tomato fricassée and Parmesan and rocket salad
  • Main course salad featuring smoked salmon with poached hen’s egg, warm buttered new potatoes and Hollandaise sauce
DESSERTS
  • Belgian chocolate cheesecake with mascarpone cream
  • Hot lemon pudding with lemon syrup
  • Ice cream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.