Delayed flight BA522 / IB3167 10 Aug 2018

Old Aug 11, 18, 3:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC silver
Posts: 147
Delayed flight BA522 / IB3167 10 Aug 2018

Hi all


I have a friend who was on this flight yesterday evening. It was delayed by about 70 minutes and my friend missed his onward LATAM flight to Sao Paulo. They put him up in a Madrid airport hotel & booked him on this evening’s LATAM flight. I’ve told him he’s due €600 compensation under EC261 and he should claim from Iberia (as the flight operator). However, at Madrid, Iberia told passengers to claim off BA.


Further details are as follows: The pilot said the delay was because a BA tow tractor (at T5) was unavailable. At the time of the delay Latam contacted my friend saying the flight was ‘Operated by BA’.


So should my friend claim from BA or Iberia? Also, could some kind person please post any flight details regarding the delayed flight that may indicate the reason for the delay and if EC261 comp is applicable (I note from the board that other flights from LHR around this time were delayed due to weather).


Thanks

alpen

edit: here are details / timings
10 Aug 2018
LHR-MAD
LA5485 / IB3167 / BA522
Scheduled Depart 18:50 Arr 20:15
Actual Depart 19:56 Arr 23:25 (from Google)

MAD-GRU (Sao Paulo)
LA8065 Scheduled Depart 23:35


Booked/ticketed on LATAM
BA boarding cards (BA522)
Iberia A340 aircraft departed from T5

Last edited by alpenlupe; Aug 11, 18 at 3:06 am Reason: added flight details
alpenlupe is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:08 am
  #2  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 13,319
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 10/08/18
Flying BA flight 522

Flight Status Depart Location Depart Date Reliability Arrive Location Arrive Date
LHR Scheduled: 10/08/18 18:50 MAD Scheduled: 10/08/18 22:15
BA 522 Landed Term: 5 Estimated: 10/08/18 19:56 71% / 23m Term: 4S Estimated: 10/08/18 23:25
Gate: C57 Actual: 10/08/18 19:56 Gate: Actual: 10/08/18 23:25


Comments:
"DOBA522/10AUG
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 522 -1 FR 10AUG18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1935
LEFT THE GATE 1956
TOOK OFF 2025
DELAY ZO 
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2322 MAD
MAD AIRCRAFT LANDED 2317
ARRIVED 2325
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 522 -1 FR 10AUG18 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1850 FR JCDRI/M YB/- 346 2:25
HKMLVNOQSGX/-
MAD 2215 FR 2:25
COMMENTS-
1.LHR MAD - AIRCRAFT OWNER IBERIA
2.LHR MAD - COCKPIT CREW IBERIA
3.LHR MAD - CABIN CREW IBERIA
4.LHR MAD - OPERATED BY IBERIA
5.LHR MAD - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
6.LHR MAD - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
7.LHR MAD - ARRIVES TERMINAL 4S
8.LHR MAD - 9/ NON-SMOKING
9.LHR MAD - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
10.LHR MAD - CO2/PAX* 127.99 KG ECO, 127.99 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
346 C 36 M 323
>"
alpenlupe likes this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:10 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC silver
Posts: 147
Thanks!
alpenlupe is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:11 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC silver
Posts: 147
could you please tell me what 'DELAY ZO' means?
alpenlupe is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:12 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 567
Flight delay info below I believe the "Delay ZO" means "Operational" as opposed to weather, ATC, Late inbound plane, etc.

Believe it's possible to make the claim with either airline but it should be easier with the marketing airline because there is a contact with them.

Edit: removed EF output, someone beat me to it
alpenlupe likes this.
CloudGazer is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,349
Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
Flight delay info below I believe the "Delay ZO" means "Operational" as opposed to weather, ATC, Late inbound plane, etc.

Believe it's possible to make the claim with either airline but it should be easier with the marketing airline because there is a contact with them.

Edit: removed EF output, someone beat me to it
You claim from the operating carrier. Who marketed it is not relevant. So Iberia.....good luck to the OP.
simons1 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:19 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC silver
Posts: 147
Thanks very much everyone. I'l l tell him to claim from IB and expect to jump through hoops
alpenlupe is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 394
As the flight was departing from the UK, and IB is not part of any Alternative Dispute Resolution body, you can complaint through the CAA when Iberia ignore / dismiss your claim. Normally it takes 2 weeks to get a reply and in my experience IB will pay.

What to do if your claim is rejected | UK Civil Aviation Authority

https://caaportal.icasework.com/serv...eKtw%3D%3D~%21
alpenlupe likes this.
schrodingerdog is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post
As the flight was departing from the UK, and IB is not part of any Alternative Dispute Resolution body, you can complaint through the CAA when Iberia ignore / dismiss your claim. Normally it takes 2 weeks to get a reply and in my experience IB will pay.

What to do if your claim is rejected UK Civil Aviation Authority

https://caaportal.icasework.com/serv...eKtw%3D%3D~%21
This is good advice, but in the event that IB plays the not us its BA shuffle and you find yourself getting nowhere, this is one of the few occasions where I would consider handing it over to Bott and co as a last resort. And this from someone who got an EU261 payment from Finnair.
simons1 and alpenlupe like this.
rapidex is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 4:23 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,711
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
This is good advice, but in the event that IB plays the not us its BA shuffle and you find yourself getting nowhere, this is one of the few occasions where I would consider handing it over to Bott and co as a last resort. And this from someone who got an EU261 payment from Finnair.
IBERIA is difficult.

I had to hand over my claim (4xEUR600) to a claim handling outfit. So that'll be 3xEUR600.

But, to be fair, they have earned their keep: badgering me for documentation IB insists on. and (18 months' into it) getting their Madrid lawyers ready for a day in court.
alpenlupe likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 5:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,519
Iberia will do literally anything to avoid paying EC261. Raise the claim with them, give them 30 days, then hand it to Bott & Co and forget about it for a year.
alpenlupe likes this.
armouredant is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 5:57 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 394
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
This is good advice, but in the event that IB plays the not us its BA shuffle and you find yourself getting nowhere, this is one of the few occasions where I would consider handing it over to Bott and co as a last resort. And this from someone who got an EU261 payment from Finnair.
In my (limited) experience, after the CAA resolution, IB pays. And my flights were IBX operated IB marketed flights, so they could have tried the 'is not us' game. But two days after the CAA response I got an email saying the transfer of 250eur is on its way. So I think is very worth a try, given that is a free and fast service.
alpenlupe likes this.
schrodingerdog is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 6:06 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC silver
Posts: 147
Thanks everyone. Have taken everything on board. Will advise my friend to to take it to the CAA if IB don't play ball. And if no progress with the CAA then get compo lawyers involved. I'll report back down the line.
alpenlupe is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:40 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,433
As the operating carrier, IB is solely responsible. It is for IB to pursue BA or others for anything it must pay out. EC 261/2004 is written in clear and simple terms so that the passenger has one point of contact.

As you are a UK resident, you may take advantage of the MCOL process. Make your claim to IB. If it declines, send a Letter Before Action (forms on the MCOL website) and then proceed to file your MCOL action. IB will either pay out or fight you, but there is no reason to pay EUR 150 to a claims agency to do what you can do in 1/2 hour.

I say pay out because your compensation from IB will be nicked for 25% by the claims agency and thus while the naive believe it costs nothing, it does.
adrianlondon and alpenlupe like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:45 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LAS
Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Posts: 1,689
Originally Posted by alpenlupe View Post
Thanks very much everyone. I'l l tell him to claim from IB and expect to jump through hoops
Probably no hoops- just have to hire a company to sue them. Iberia not known for voluntarily paying EC261 compensation. Good luck.

1st step- Iberia complaint form:

https://www.iberia.com/gb/customer-r...s/?language=en
alpenlupe likes this.
zebranz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: