Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed flight BA522 / IB3167 10 Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Often1
As the operating carrier, IB is solely responsible. It is for IB to pursue BA or others for anything it must pay out. EC 261/2004 is written in clear and simple terms so that the passenger has one point of contact.

As you are a UK resident, you may take advantage of the MCOL process. Make your claim to IB. If it declines, send a Letter Before Action (forms on the MCOL website) and then proceed to file your MCOL action. IB will either pay out or fight you, but there is no reason to pay EUR 150 to a claims agency to do what you can do in 1/2 hour.

I say pay out because your compensation from IB will be nicked for 25% by the claims agency and thus while the naive believe it costs nothing, it does.
It is considerably more than 25% - the fee is 25% plus a £25 per passenger "administration fee" plus 20% VAT on the whole amount!!
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
An update. My friend filed a claim with IB on their website. They came back with this lame rejection:
We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the incident on your flight IB3167 dated 10/08/2018.

In order to carry out our daily operation, we depend on external factors that are beyond our scope of control and before which we have no possibility of action. Our main objective is to offer a better service to our customers every day and reduce the impact of these factors on their experience. Unfortunately, and despite our efforts, in this case we were not been able to prevent our customers from being affected.

We thank you for your understanding and reiterate our apologies for not having fulfilled your expectations.

We hope your next flights are satisfactory. Thank you for continuing trust in Iberia.
We now intend pursuing this with the CAA as per @schrodingerdog 's advice above and if that fails then following the MCOL process as per @Often1 's advice. Then maybe get a lawyer. Does that seem like a reasonable way to progress?

Thanks
alpen
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Hi all

An update:

IB rejected the claim outright.
On 8 Sept we contacted the CAA and on 12 Sept they agreed to pursue it.
Today IB contacted my friend. They've reviewed the case after hearing from the CAA & have agreed to pay the full €600. Result!
Thanks for all the advice above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.