Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA994 Delayed by weather. Does EC261 apply?

BA994 Delayed by weather. Does EC261 apply?

Reply

Old Aug 10, 18, 10:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 22
BA994 Delayed by weather. Does EC261 apply?

I think I know the answer. Currently sat on the plane at the gate at Heathrow. We were supposed to take off at 17:05, pilot has just announced latest estimated departure time is 20:20 due to storms. Some people have decided not to fly and seem to be leaving the plane.

Thought I would pass the time by asking if we might get compensation although 99.99% sure the answer is no.

HSR1234 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:52 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 444
No. simple.
PAL62V is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS Premium, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 5,472
Sorry to hear you were delayed.

No compensation for weather delays I am afraid. (That said... Someone will be along shortly to say that BA should have planes that can fly in all weather, or that BA was not prepared, or that the flight should have departed earlier to avoid the weather, or that BA should have an all weather airport on standby somewhere...after all, bad weather is very inherent to airlines' operations) [It is a very TGIF post]
David_Doyle likes this.
Andriyko is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:11 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,438
Clearly BA was badly prepared here. In this day and age I would have expected the airline to have aircraft that can operate in all weathers, in a worst case scenario they should have been getting away early instead of wasting time refuelling, catering and so on.

Such a shame really.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:16 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Posts: 8,021
You mean Alex Cruz hasn't invented a machine to put protective bubbles around BA planes to enable them to fly in all weathers, avoid all ATC restrictions and to teleport catering on to them as well?

BA certainly isn't what it was.
UKtravelbear is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BA Gold, EK Skywards (recently 'enhanced' to Blue !)
Posts: 4,011
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Clearly BA was badly prepared here. In this day and age I would have expected the airline to have aircraft that can operate in all weathers, in a worst case scenario they should have been getting away early instead of wasting time refuelling, catering and so on.

Such a shame really.
Couldnít agree more.

Itís obviously a clear cut case and BA canít wriggle out of their EC261 obligations here simply by blaming Ďthe weatherí
subject2load is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,438
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post


Couldnít agree more.

Itís obviously a clear cut case and BA canít wriggle out of their EC261 obligations here simply by blaming Ďthe weatherí
When I looked out my spare bedroom window it looked such a lovely day.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 7,649
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
No. simple.
Nitpicking: The answer is yes. Simple. EU261 applies but compensation is not due.
Often1 likes this.
WorldLux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:35 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS Premium, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 5,472
I forgot about the very reliable weather observations from one's house/office..
Andriyko is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,438
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Nitpicking: The answer is yes. Simple. EU261 applies but compensation is not due.
Double-nitpicking: EU261 doesn't apply but EC261 certainly does.
PAL62V, Often1 and CloudGazer like this.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,438
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I forgot about the very reliable weather observations from one's house/office..
You need to invest in a modern barometer made by Walsh Brothers. The needle is glued on 'storms approaching' I believe.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:54 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Nitpicking: The answer is yes. Simple. EU261 applies but compensation is not due.
How does it apply if compensation is not due? EC261 is all about compensation.
PAL62V is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:57 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 37,607
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
How does it apply if compensation is not due? EC261 is all about compensation.
1 aspect of EC261 is the compensation for a delayed/cancelled flight

EC261 also covers the requirements for the airline to allow cancellations and provide meals, accommotdation etc when a flight is delayed/cancelled regardless of reason for the delat/cancellation
PAL62V likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:18 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,846
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
You mean Alex Cruz hasn't invented a machine to put protective bubbles around BA planes to enable them to fly in all weathers, avoid all ATC restrictions and to teleport catering on to them as well?

BA certainly isn't what it was.
That doesn't sound LCC enough for Alex Cruz. Maybe Emirates will do that.
Gig103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:43 pm
  #15  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 7,832
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
When I looked out my spare bedroom window it looked such a lovely day.
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I forgot about the very reliable weather observations from one's house/office..
Sorry to hear about your delay HSR1234. I hope you made it back ok.

In the interests of humor I'll add this comment that we often see on the forum which is along these lines: Other aircraft were flying so it can't have been weather related and the airline is lying.
golfmad is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread