FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Advice Needed. QR J or BA F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1924488-advice-needed-qr-j-ba-f.html)

andymcdonnell Aug 10, 2018 8:18 am

Advice Needed. QR J or BA F?

I took advantage of the excellent BA F companion fares to South Africa for next year. Flights from LHR- CPT plus a week car hire cost me about £1800 per person (about €2000). The only downside is I’ve to book a DUB-LHR sector (€100 in Y) and as they’re on separate tickets, drag the bags to T3. I’m BA Silver do get lounge access, extra baggage etc all the way. I’ve so far put down a deposit of £200 each.

This is morning I noticed QR have flights DUB-DOH-JNB/CPT for approx €2100.

I know id lose the deposit I put down, but is QR J significantly better to warrant that and the easier connection in DOH versus my current self connect in LHR?

LCY8737 Aug 10, 2018 8:21 am

There are many things wrong about BA F, and many good things about QR J - but one is still F, and the other still J. I wouldn't change this.

stewaran Aug 10, 2018 8:22 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 30067966)
is QR J significantly better to warrant that and the easier connection in DOH versus my current self connect in LHR?

I dont know the how the QR timings work out, but I really like the BA flight schedules to CPT and JNB. a long overnight flight gives great opportunity for a nice meal and drink, followed by a good nights sleep.
the TP's will be an advantage on QR if you need them. If not i would personally stay on BA.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 10, 2018 8:23 am

Is that still a per person cost? And with car hire? I can't see the point in going via Doha unless you save a heap of money, and some transits at DOH are every bit as painful as LHR. Plus the disrupted sleep factor.

FoxtrotOscar Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am

IMHO Depends massively on the QR plane.

For seats, If it’s a Q suite on a 777 I’d take QR J over BA F. If it’s an A380 or A350 it’s borderline. If it’s an old QR A330 stick with BA.

BA F wines are significantly better. Food offerings comparable.

Service? BA F usually very good but QR J is universally excellent.

More TP but less Avios on QR.

A good problem to have!

Phil the Flyer Aug 10, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30067986)
some transits at DOH are every bit as painful as LHR. Plus the disrupted sleep factor.

DOH 2 hour transits or 20 hour transits are fine; it’s the 4-8 hour transits that I find to be a pain.

If you aren’t pushed for time DOH transits can be a wonderful experience. Mrs PtF and I like nothing more than breaking our journey in DOH for, say, 20 hours. This enables us to leave the airport, get a good night’s sleep in a proper bed in a 5 star hotel (possibly subsidised by Qatar), and continue our journey greatly refreshed. The Airside Airport Hotel has become ridiculously expensive over the years for what it offers.

As for BA F v QR J, I make no comment other than to wonder why an F v J comparison should ever be so close at all.

escape2sun Aug 10, 2018 9:31 am

Mrs E2S and I fly a couple of times a year to CPT, normally ex-AMS on QR, and with a transfer less than 2-hours we find the break in Doha fine. We use the dine on demand, and eat 2-hours out of Doha. Once on board the CPT leg, we have a champagne nightcap, and skip the food, and wake a couple of hours out, and have brunch. Normal QR tends before BA, Emirates, Turkish airlines around 11:00, so passport control is usually fine. I enjoy the space on the QR 77W even the old seats, yet to try the QSuite. I think the configuration of the QR 787 is excellent if you avoid row 5 and 6 which tend to be noisy.

That said, we are on the Dream Ticket 241 First in January, and chose the BA43 over the BA59, so that we can enjoy the service, and do a fair comparison. The BA59 has a habit of leaving late, and I personally don't want to eat at 23:00 or later. Hopefully I will have a better crew than my last F experience to CPT, when I was reminded that I was OpUpped

EvilDoctorK Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

Other thing is Qatar timings from CPT aren't ideal on the way back .. long day flight to Doha on the way back leaving CPT around midday ... and there's only one service a day ( same time every day ) which will only connect with the Dublin flight on certain days without a long layover in Doha ... Also yes your self connect at LHR will add to the timing given you'll need a longer connection but the overall flight time will be shorter as going via Doha is quite a detour ( you're looking at a ~7 hour flight and a ~10hr flight via Doha vs. a ~1hr + ~12hr via Heathrow )

Comparing the two services is a bit of a first world problems thing probably .. in my view I'd say BA on a good day clearly wins , but the key is that 'on a good day' bit ... Qatar more consistent generally in my experience ( though in the winter I think you get the older seats on the flight to/from CPT , so not as good as the Dublin leg on the 787 )

creflo Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am

BA F on the 747 (I assume that’ll be the plane to CPT) can be a bit underwhelming. In terms of space I find it a notch better than on a QR 787 (DUB-DOH), but IFE, screen, table etc. is better on QR. Depending on your travel date you will probably either have a 787 or a 777 on the DOH-CPT sector. While the 777 product is not bad, in particular if travelling with a companion, I would still prefer the 747 BA F.
I find service to be consistently good in QR J, but hit and miss in BA F.

Ultimately I would choose BA because of the nonstop LHR-CPT sector. It is more convenient. In my opinion it is not worth trading a day in or around CPT for a day in DOH.

I have found DUB staff to be helpful when checking through, even on separate tickets (which i understand to be against the published policy).
CX F lounge in T3 is a nicer place than the Al-Mourjan in DOH for a layover.

simons1 Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am

I may be missing something but the OP is suggesting to lose £400 deposit to change to a flight costing €100 each more and a downgrade from F to J with a longer routing via Doha? Simply to avoid changing from T5 to T3?

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Stick with it, travel F and have time to enjoy the lounges in T3 which are probably the best at LHR.

golfmad Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30068623)
I may be missing something but the OP is suggesting to lose £400 deposit to change to a flight costing €100 each more and a downgrade from F to J with a longer routing via Doha? Simply to avoid changing from T5 to T3?

That was precisely my thought too. Oh, and no car either.

icegirl Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm

QR J is considered far more superior to BA F in terms of both hard and soft product. There are also many threads on this forum regarding this argument. Also OMAAT has rated them amongst the worlds worst.

https://onemileatatime.com/worst-first-class/

stewaran Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 30069203)
QR J is considered far more superior to BA F in terms of both hard and soft product. There are also many threads on this forum regarding this argument. Also OMAAT has rated them amongst the worlds worst.

I would disagree , and I think so would many on these boards

Blueboys999 Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

QR's Business product can fairly be described as J+ while BA's First is really F- and that is particularly apparent when the comparison is between QR's best and BA's worst aircraft. The gap between them is there, but it's nowhere near as great as it ought to be.

clubeurope Aug 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 30069203)

It's still First, and BA's F avoids the enclosed foot space (or cubbyhole, if you so prefer) that is present in QR's Qsuite and r herringbone seat.

Given how a big chunk of the journey will be flown on one flight when with BA, I'd personally stick with BA for the sake of convenience, which I personally think would trump the inconvenience of changing terminals at Heathrow. Additionally, I just personally dislike doing a transfer in the Middle East as it usually messes with sleep and whatnot