FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Attaining Gold - 90 tier points short (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1924486-attaining-gold-90-tier-points-short.html)

mramoose Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am

Attaining Gold - 90 tier points short

I'm currently at Silver membership with 1325 points and my tier point collection year ends 8th October 2018.

I've got a return flight from NCL -> LHR -> BOS 15th-20th September that will award me 85 points bringing my total to 1410 leaving me just 90 points short of attaining gold for the following membership year.

What would be the best/fastest/cheapest way to earn these 90 points from NCL?

I've looked into upgrading the BOS -> LHR part of the journey but this would cost over £3k (for the three of us traveling) and I'm not sure how many points this would add.

I've read on other threads that BA has occasionally extended the cut off by 1-2 weeks if you intend to travel. I'm planning another business trip to Boston just after the tier point reset around the 15th-18th October but worried about the cut off date and not having these points count towards the total.

mikeyfly Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am

You can request a 14 day extension if the flights are booked and they will allow a credit to current year no problem

bisonrav Aug 10, 2018 8:25 am

Deleted because overcomplicated nonsense....

stewaran Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

a quick return on AA in first to NYC and back could give you 80TP when you are in BOS?

corporate-wage-slave Aug 10, 2018 8:36 am

Welcome to Flyertalk mramoose, welcome to the BA forum, and anyone from Newcastle is extra welcome here, of course. If you hang around here long enough and look at the threads that come through, you will soon pick up ideas on how to get status more easily and cost effectively.

The two week extension is pretty much standard policy, just call up a few days after the second BOS trip when they have already credited to BAEC, and your card will be regraded accordingly. There is a thread here on Tier Point runs that give you various ideas for how to get extra TPs cost effectively, but if you have time during your first trip to BOS, you may find it time and cost effective to do a TP trip from BOS to somewhere on AA. Also have a look at the airport upgrade thread in this forum's Dashboard, since if you upgrade the LHR-BOS sector to WTP you would get 90 TP for that flight alone, compared to presumably 35 that you are currently getting in WT. There is a TP calculator on BA.com, though they can it the Avios calculator, but you have to add up each flight individually.

bisonrav Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am

Brain absolutely turned off - there's no need for anything as complicated as I'd suggested. Just a CE return to LHR on a day trip plus a second ET one will do it. DOH. It's been a long week.

Phil the Flyer Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30068031)
anyone from Newcastle is extra welcome here, of course.

:confused: Why?

corporate-wage-slave Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 30068103)
:confused: Why?

Move up here and you will find out!

Phil the Flyer Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30068111)
Move up here and you will find out!

Until recently my son used to have a reserved table with friends at Tup Tup Palace, Newcastle every New Year’s Eve.

If the Newcastle-based contestants on Love Island this year are anything to go by I think I’ll stay safely south of the M4. Having said that, my father, grandfather etc were born in Sunderland.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 30068137)
Sunderland.

Aye, well that explains a few things an' all

Phil the Flyer Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30068146)
Aye, well that explains a few things an' all

Never been there myself, never plan to. Anything north of Birmingham and I start to feel homesick. ;)

hypercrypt Aug 10, 2018 9:30 am

Sounds like you'll be earning 35 TP for each of the long haul flights and then 5 for one and 10 for the other short haul. Upgrading both of the long haul fights would take them to 90 each (i.e. +55 each way) but if it is more than one person travelling this may be prohibitively expensive even if some at the airport (see tge AuP thread for recent prices).

Upgrading the short haul at the airport should be much cheaper (<£100 per person per flight) and net an extra 30/35 each way. So upgrading one of those and then taking a quick CE return to London separately may be a good balance between cost and reducing the amount of pointless flying. Also the lounge access before the short haul flight may offset some of your food and beverage spend at the airport.

PJSMITH0 Aug 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 30068188)

Never been there myself, never plan to. Anything north of Birmingham and I start to feel homesick. ;)

That’s why we northern folk are smiling on the inside every time we go down south. You southerners really don’t have a clue what your missing 😄😄😄

BertieBadger Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 30068834)

That’s why we northern folk are smiling on the inside every time we go down south. You southerners really don’t have a clue what your missing 😄😄😄

Rain?

(From a wet Weegie)

Sixth Freedom Aug 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30068031)
anyone from Newcastle is extra welcome here

Gan Club Europe? Beltas!

Divnah gan flat bed? Divnah have nah radgie, man!

I am actually a true Geordie as I was born within site of the Tyne. And don't let anyone claim otherwise! By my count corporate-wage-slave and I have shared three NCL<>LHR flights so far this year. :)