Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flights from Turkey - USD pricing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
BA flights from Turkey - USD pricing?

Wondering when BA started pricing flights from Turkey in US dollars rather than Turkish lira. Was tempted by this week’s currency slide so was wondering if any bargains - like with ex-CAI departures when the Egyptian pound crashed.

Any insights?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Gold
I think you just answered your own question. My guess would be due to the volatility of the Turkish Lira, BA decided it was safer to price flights originating in Turkey in USD so they don't end up losing money.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I know on BA.com it's been like that for a while .. all BA.com fares ex IST are priced in USD .... No idea for other fares they may file in Turkey
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
I know on BA.com it's been like that for a while .. all BA.com fares ex IST are priced in USD .... No idea for other fares they may file in Turkey
thanks. I was thinking it was uncharacteristically efficient of BA if they only switched over this week!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I think it was done in an anticipation of possible capital controls and/or BA being unable to purchase foreign currency and move it back to the UK or wherever. The fares for Turkey have been filed in USD for as long as I can remember, so even though the website would display prices in TRY they were based on the then current exchange rate. The savings by purchasing ext-IST tickets in TRY would not be substantial, unless TRY fell even more on the day when the charge posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.