Best seats on 747 for a couple

Old Aug 9, 18, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Best seats on 747 for a couple

HI All.

Mrs Cyclops and I are on a 744 BA272? from SAN to LHR and upstairs in last row 64J/K. Mrs Cyclops can manage stairs (Multiple Sclerosis) but needs easy access for the aisle. IE No climbing over people (unless they want a beautiful woman falling on them).
She can get bassinet seats on the lower deck (if I HUACA) due to the medical condition but is it best to stick with the upper deck or should we go for. 14 EF/20EF etc. She doesn't mind the AC/DC config and would probably relish the divider screen to stop me going on about how FT got us here on a GUF2.

What do you think? (apart from, will this one-eyed Scottish bloke shut up)
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*Gold, EY Gold
If you're ok with stairs then 64AB/JK are great seats (to me anyway) I actually prefer the extra space/light from 64A unless overnight when the galley can remain lit and be in eye-line. But I'm a huge fan of that row and no need to "step over" in either A/K
Ursa81 likes this.

Last edited by Lenis; Aug 9, 18 at 9:46 am Reason: spelling..
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM (ex-EXP :( ), BA Gold, UA Peon
If you can climb upstairs, 60A/C works well. Nice and quiet (no one to serve past you from the galley, the toilet doesn't get much use since there are 2 toilets for 20 passengers, the flight crew has an en-suite), 60B is near the toilet but not so near you're conscious of its presence, etc.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Thanks @Lenis, I tried to get 64 AB but the bassinet threw the GC hotline even on reasonable medical. Is there a lot more space.

Thankfully Mrs GC is mobile and reasonably healthy. It is a fatigue thing mostly so we do get the odd look from folk when she stands up looking okay from the wheelchair and climbs stairs. :-)

20m then 20m then 20 m most of the day is fine. 500-700m through an airport and it becomes the last few steps trying to summit Everest. She needs a sleep for a few hours.

Which is why I will always be grateful to FT for getting me from silver to gold to GUF2 to GUF2+2xGUF1. Otherwise we would not be able to afford the 5k flights.
@flatlander. We were in 60A/B but changed because I wanted a window for her. I'm used to it (every month in WT+) but I think Upstairs 747 for her will be lovely. I'm really excited she is joining me. My work is away, then work at home and I probably spend more time with her than someone with an 8.30 to 5.30 job.
bhbloke, Hilde and Ursa81 like this.

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; Aug 9, 18 at 11:39 pm
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:01 am

From a crew perspective 64A/B is good...yes a little more space because of the bassinet position...if not 64J/K would be just as good I think. Yes close to the toilet but as previously said...two toilets for 20 customers...it should be fine. Have a good flight.
Old Aug 9, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite, KrisFlyer Elite Silver.
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops View Post
What do you think? (apart from, will this one-eyed Scottish bloke shut up)
Cyclops, your posts on here, of late, have been both informative and entertaining!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:18 pm

If you want room and aisle access try 62ab or 62df.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
64K is very nicely secluded and easy to access but the view is largely of the wing. The distance between the A/K seats and the window does make looking down a bit of an effort too but the cheering effect of having daylight is still good.
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and 'stuff'..
We choose 63a/b, with me in the aisle and the OH having the window. She can escape 63a without climb-over ... a bit of a squueze but I can do it at 6ft/13st! Worth considering? Would you get out in 63A?
Attached Images   
mikeyfly and mwp1 like this.

Last edited by T8191; Aug 10, 18 at 11:17 am
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Cyclops,

I hope you and your wife enjoy the experience. I sympathise with you regarding what others might think about the use of a wheelchair and then seeing the occupant rise out of it and seem to be perfectly healthy. My wife also has Multiple Sclerosis or in her case Periodic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She is healthy and can easily walk short distances but anything lengthy and she struggles. This year is a particular issue as we will shortly have to cross from T5 to T3 on our way to the USA and a wheel chair is essential for this part of the journey. Having said that my wife prefers to walk when it is possible and were we T5 only she would refuse to take assistance. Also we will politely say to the staff at ABZ that we do not need assistance there due to the short distances involved. However, we always require to book assistance as if there are flight delays assistance is essential to avoid the possibility of missing flights. As you are a gold member you are able to pick your seats at no cost. However, it is worth noting that providing one meets the highest of the three assistance categories BA will immediately allow seats to be booked at no cost for each person on the booking. Unfortunately we will no be able to use the upper deck as my wife really struggles coming down stairs and the steepness of the upper deck stairs rules this out.
Old Aug 11, 18, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and 'stuff'..
GlasgowCyclops ... you may wish to ignore my 63a/b recommendation, as 63b is designated an EXIT seat which may not be appropriate for your OH.