Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Air Baggage A/P Transfer and baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios

First, to anyone who responds I would like to say: Thank you!

I am planning a trip to Sicily from the USA in the near future.

The flights would all be with BA for the itinerary.

In checking my itinerary choices I noticed some things I have not yet done with BA.

First, my itinerary would be Philadelphia (PHL) to London Heathrow (LHR) and then require a transfer to London Gatwick (LGW) for a connection on to Sicily, Catania (CTA).

My first question has to do with luggage: When I arrive LHR do I have to collect my luggage and then check-in again at Gatwick OR does BA automatically forward it to reach my destination of Catania?

Next question is: what is minimum time I should plan to get from LHR to LGW for my connecting flight AND what are my transfer choices?

Again, I would like to thank you in advance for any answers I receive!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Your bags will not be transferred to LGW . You will need to pick them up at LHR and take them to LGW.

The MCT is 3hrs IIRC.

The obvious transfer route is via a National Express coach between the airports. It is regular and takes just over an hour. I think there are a number of threads here with lots more details.
PS: Just found it; the link is

Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide

A taxi will be fairly expensive and trains/tube can be a hassle with luggage.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddschur
First, my itinerary would be Philadelphia (PHL) to London Heathrow (LHR) and then require a transfer to London Gatwick (LGW) for a connection on to Sicily, Catania (CTA).

My first question has to do with luggage: When I arrive LHR do I have to collect my luggage and then check-in again at Gatwick OR does BA automatically forward it to reach my destination of Catania?

Next question is: what is minimum time I should plan to get from LHR to LGW for my connecting flight AND what are my transfer choices?
Look here for the LHR LGW transfer info--->Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Thank you very, very much!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.