Surprised (but grateful!) at Op-Up

Old Aug 9, 18, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Marriott Exec Platinum, Starwood - Platinum, HH - Diamond
Surprised (but grateful!) at Op-Up

My husband (Bronze) and I (Sliver) were upgraded on our return flight from LGW - JFK yesterday, from WT+ to Club, at the point of OLCI. I was checking in and offered $500 each upgrade which we declined, then we got the following message; "As a special bonus we'd like you to enjoy the comfort, extra space and service of business class..." and we were able to choose seats in the Club cabin. Never been upgraded at OLCI before, usually at check-in desk, lounge or gate.

'Great!' I thought - 'Must be another full flight' (as we had the same upgrade on the outbound JFK-LHR leg which was a busy flight, and were upgraded in lounge). I was surprised however when I went to the bathroom during the flight and peaked through the curtain to an almost empty WT+ cabin and a not full WT cabin.

Any ideas how we go this upgrade? Is BA trying to do a promotional thing whereby they are giving people in WT+ a taster of Club in the hope that they might pay for it next time? I am obviously VERY grateful, but curious.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
I suspect there's an algorithm that does exactly that - dangeles the carrot of J to serial W's to convince them to pay cash next time.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by gemcan83 View Post
My husband (Bronze) and I (Sliver) were upgraded on our return flight from LGW - JFK yesterday, from WT+ to Club, at the point of OLCI. I was checking in and offered $500 each upgrade which we declined, then we got the following message; "As a special bonus we'd like you to enjoy the comfort, extra space and service of business class..." and we were able to choose seats in the Club cabin. Never been upgraded at OLCI before, usually at check-in desk, lounge or gate.

'Great!' I thought - 'Must be another full flight' (as we had the same upgrade on the outbound JFK-LHR leg which was a busy flight, and were upgraded in lounge). I was surprised however when I went to the bathroom during the flight and peaked through the curtain to an almost empty WT+ cabin and a not full WT cabin.

Any ideas how we go this upgrade? Is BA trying to do a promotional thing whereby they are giving people in WT+ a taster of Club in the hope that they might pay for it next time? I am obviously VERY grateful, but curious.

Thoughts?
Consensus of opinion on this forum is that upgrades are entirely random in nature. But given the fact you were upgraded in both directions I'd recommend buying a lottery ticket! Your name isn't similar to anybody famous?
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Marriott Exec Platinum, Starwood - Platinum, HH - Diamond
Ha ha, maybe I will! If I never post in this forum again you will know why! Nope, not that I am aware.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is interesting. This Forum tends to claim Op Up are only ever issued when a cabin rolls forwards
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
This is interesting. This Forum tends to claim Op Up are only ever issued when a cabin rolls forwards
Not sure thatís quite true. The order is determined by DUT and this clearly can happen even when cabins donít need to be rolled forward.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I got the impression that although this is sometimes said, it is shorthand for a situation that mostly true rather than universally so. Previous discussion of the Discretionary Upgrade Tool has mentioned that occasional space-available upgrades are possible - as jackcarr eloquently puts it, the carrot-dangling part of the DUT algorithm.

I think the reason people say BA only upgrades as needed is to distinguish from the policies of e.g. US carriers which will fill their premium cabins with space-available status upgrades.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post

Not sure thatís quite true. The order is determined by DUT and this clearly can happen even when cabins donít need to be rolled forward.
I know it's not true! But most statements start "BA will only upgrade when they need to operationally..."
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:53 am

BA definitely upgrade proactively at times. My wife got an upgrade to J a few days before OLCI (LHR - YVR) in the summer of 2018 after flying mainly Y and W. Same message about experiencing the luxury... Only found out because I went to check the seat map to see if I should pay for her seat (Blue at the time) and noticed that the price had increased significantly - then noticed that it was the J seat map...

That was on a flight that was booked via BA Holidays in Y and UUA'd to W.
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I know it's not true! But most statements start "BA will only upgrade when they need to operationally..."
BA will usually only upgrade when there is an operational requirement.
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Recently had upgrades (whilst sitting in the lounge) from J-F for more than 2 pax when there was definitely space in both J and F. [excellent F crew too!]
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:48 am
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
If one is given the option (as OP was) to pay to upg but declines offer (maybe be offered a FREE upg ) would the pay upg still be available?
Old Aug 9, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My name is Fruitcage and I too have been a victim of unscrupulous upgrades which tempted me to spend a fortune on higher cabins. Let my weakness serve as a lesson to others.
Old Aug 9, 18, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been upgraded a few times now , flying LHR to BOM from J to F at the gate, dont really know why , thought about asking, but heck at that point why would I want to know
Old Aug 9, 18, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
... which can include the anticipation of such a requirement, particularly when itís done at the OLCI stage. It doesnít take much by way of misconnects and/or no-shows later to render the requirement unnecessary, but on days when flight loads are heavy, removing some of the need for flight control staff to have to manually intervene to re-balance seating can be a benefit in itself.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: