Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways or American Airlines business class to Vegas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways or American Airlines business class to Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Not sure about the mentions of A380 and B787 planes above. The BA timetables for December 2018 and January 2019 still show a B747 on the daily direct Heathrow - Las Vegas route and there are many threads regarding the poor experience on these old 52J birds. You could be lucky and get one of the refreshed planes, the first with upgraded IFE is due in a couple of months I believe.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Not sure about the mentions of A380 and B787 planes above. The BA timetables for December 2018 and January 2019 still show a B747 on the daily direct Heathrow - Las Vegas route and there are many threads regarding the poor experience on these old 52J birds. You could be lucky and get one of the refreshed planes, the first with upgraded IFE is due in a couple of months I believe.

hi.

this is because the op is not on the nonstop flight to/from vegas (b744) but is instead going via los angeles

regards

tbs
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I find the AA club seats much better than any BA club seats
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Take AA on the 777 (any variant) for as much of the trip as possible. All have been updated and are a very nice ride in J. Try to reduce your domestic flight as much as possible - it will be in a narrowbody (but still better than the crap that Europe passes off as "business" class)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you're not on a TP hunt - then as noted above - do the longest part of the trip, ideally on a AA 77W and grab row 3 or 4

You won't be disappointed
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Make sure you check which type of plane is *likely* to fly any particular AA flight on your route. AA business class can be quite variable. This is a useful post comparing them all: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/ame...-seats-ranked/

The 77W others have mentioned is great but even on a route like JFK-LHR where that operates it will only be certain flights, not all of them, so check what you're getting before booking.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Agree with everyone about going through LAX. The 747 out of Vegas is usually OLD and very uncomfortable....and it's late most of the time. when we lived in Vegas, I would commute to LAX and take the 77W on AA. Comfortable even in MCE!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PPro
Chiming in to echo you should rethink the CLT part of your trip if at all possible. the Ex US airways product out of there is horrible and the trip from CLT to LAS is pretty lengthy. From DFW you should be able to take an actual AA A321 (coded 32B) with IFE. From MIA you could get a flight on either a 757 or 767 with lie flat seats, although they do lack IFE as well.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:45 pm

I've only flown F on BA so can't speak to their product in J, but I think J on AA 77W is awesome (mini-cabin is fantastic), and J on AA 330 is just fine.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
You will find the AA J seat far superior to BA on both the 777-200 and 777-300.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
You will find the AA J seat far superior to BA on both the 777-200 and 777-300.
Agreed the seats are better. But the service is utterly terrible - AA flight attendants are the rudest and disinterested FAs I have ever experienced.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
On balance, AA is a much better option. MUCH better seats, ability to order meals on all flights, generally better catering (but variable), very good crews out of LAX (but variable), cooler cabins with gaspers, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:35 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Agreed the seats are better. But the service is utterly terrible - AA flight attendants are the rudest and disinterested FAs I have ever experienced.
I think you were unlucky with your crew. LAX-LHR is a regular route for me and most of the flight attendants are competent and nice. I certainly haven't found crews to be any better in CW.
Mrp Alert likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards - GOLD, Virgin Atlantic, Avios
Thank you all for your replies!
When I got to the booking stage BA was no longer a choice unless I paid an extra £2000 on top of my booking.

I've ended up with flights from BHD - LHR - CLT - LAS outbound
AA operate A330 business on LHR - CLT which appears to be ex US airways. I'm not overly fussy I just want to be able to enjoy a few drinks and have a good sleep.
CLT - LAS is apparently First class? I'm assuming its only 2 tier? A321 aircraft.

Return: LAS - LAX - LHR - BHD
LAX - LHR is on 777 aircraft which looks fantastic

I got all flights and a nice room in the Aria hotel for £5700 for my fiancee and I, I think that seems like reasonable value.
If I booked to fly from Heathrow it was £6500 and flights with AA booked separate were £12000

I would've liked to try BA A380 service but I've flown Emirates loads of times and I know it wouldn't compare
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I would avoid stopping in the East Cost on route to LAS. It’s a long slog on the second flight (unless you want extra TPs)

Routing via LAX is my preferred choice rather than DFW. I would take the 77W on the way out and the later a380 on the way back if possible. The 772 does suffer from the shaking chair issue, if you don’t get one of the lucky seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.