Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exec Club: Cathay Pacific awful miles/tier points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

I am trying to book flights to Australia from Paris CDG with Cathay Pacific and I am shocked to see that most of booking classes get 20 tier points (and around 1000 avios per leg). Actually, it is either you get flexible Y tier points and avios (Y, B and H) or lowest (all other booking codes).

Is this normal? is it new? Where are the low tiers points (35 pts). Here is the avios calculator output for CDG-HKG with CX.

Class Avios Tier Points

Economy lowest (K, L, M, N, Q, S, V) 1492 avios 20 TP

Economy flexible (Y, B, H) 5968 avios 70 TP

Last edited by BA6948; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:39 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Maybe try PE if you want better TPs? Cheap PE classes still earn 90 per leg I believe.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Entirely normal and not too far from what BA offers you... granted BA is slightly more lucrative for points, but not a whole lot either. If you're after TP/Avios PE is the best value.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
If you're flying ex UK, you get much better TPs and Avios booking the BA codeshare. Google Flights doesn't always show the correct price, but if using the multi city tool you can find a lot of fares on there that Google doesn't.

It's not just limited to CX. Booking directly with MH in Y will often only yield 20TPs.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
Is this normal?
Completely normal.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
To be honest, 20 points isn't too bad! We did NRT - HKG with CX earlier this year and got 5 points for an N class booking plus 457 Avios and a further 1828 because of my tier bonus. I would definitely recommend PE if at all possible as you will get 90 or 100 TPs depending on the sector length.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
To be honest, 20 points isn't too bad! We did NRT - HKG with CX earlier this year and got 5 points for an N class booking plus 457 Avios and a further 1828 because of my tier bonus. I would definitely recommend PE if at all possible as you will get 90 or 100 TPs depending on the sector length.
Thank you guys. Unfortunately I am traveling for work and we have a bloody strictly Y travel policy. Just realised only QR and AA would credit the low Y classes (35 points). I need 105 points to reach Gold again before October.

Was planning to do the following: CDG-HKG-BNE (with a long 21h layover in HKG to see my brother) then SYD-HKG-CDG. That would be 80 if all with CX. I would still need 25 pts. I may need to book BNE-SYD with QF in J if they are cheap. Otherwise mix CX with BA or QR for the inbound leg.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BA6948

. I may need to book BNE-SYD with QF in J if they are cheap.
I'm quite sure you won't find QF domestic business fares cheap unfortunately. Once you compare QF fares to BA Club Europe fares, you'll realise why there is such a big difference in product.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:52 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
QF J is insanely expensive for cash fares. Cheap Y Red-E-Deals will only net 5TP
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by cameramaker
If you're flying ex UK, you get much better TPs and Avios booking the BA codeshare. Google Flights doesn't always show the correct price, but if using the multi city tool you can find a lot of fares on there that Google doesn't.

It's not just limited to CX. Booking directly with MH in Y will often only yield 20TPs.
Can you really get CX flights (LHR-HKG) on a BA codeshare?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:35 am

Completely normal. BA tier point earning rates are terrible for CX economy. I was stuck re-qualifying for status every year with them when i lived in HK, earning 10 or sometimes even 5 TPs on regional flights.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flylikelinz
QF J is insanely expensive for cash fares. Cheap Y Red-E-Deals will only net 5TP
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm quite sure you won't find QF domestic business fares cheap unfortunately. Once you compare QF fares to BA Club Europe fares, you'll realise why there is such a big difference in product.
Seen that... a one way BNE_SYD in J is almost €500. That's insane.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Can you really get CX flights (LHR-HKG) on a BA codeshare?
I am not aware BA shares codes with CX to HKG. And then even if they did BA doesn't share code on CX157 (HKG-BNE) that would allow me a 21h45 layover in Hong Kong. Tried to play around with stopovers with our corporate online booking system and flying via London increases the price dramatically.

What I found though is CDG-HKG-BNE (20 + 20 TP) with CX and SYD-DOH-CDG (40 + 35 TP) with QR. That would make it 115TP to take me to Gold. I just don't know how bearable are the 15h flight from SYD to DOH on the A380 of QR.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
A mere 5 TP's each way for a cheap Y return HKG to Taipei. Oh wel, at least I get to enjoy The Pier
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You would be able to travel BA from LHR-HKG and then on a BA codeshare (CX metal) from HKG-SYD (and other Australian ports)

I guess you would also be able to travel BA CDG-LHR-HKG if you needed to depart from CDG.

Last edited by sxc; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

As everyone has said, this is very normal for partners, and perhaps BA is being rather generous for doing so. Some FFPs don't even bother to credit lower Y partner flights (CX MPC comes to mind).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.