Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways charged me twice but does not know why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways charged me twice but does not know why

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Do BA do 30-day authorizations? Date in OP's post shows 7/17 charges and 7/19 refunds, so almost three weeks have elapsed.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Do BA do 30-day authorizations? Date in OP's post shows 7/17 charges and 7/19 refunds, so almost three weeks have elapsed.
A merchant just asks for an authorisation - how long a bank leaves an authorisation pending on an account is down to the bank

With the censoring of the original post, it is not easy to tell whether the 2 charges related to the same ticket number or whether 2 tickets were issued

If they both relate to same ticket number and the bank is saying that it cannot accept a dispute on the charge, it would suggest to me that it was a pending charge that disn't clear correctly - if not that, then would be useful to know why the bank is refusing to accept a dispute
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A merchant just asks for an authorisation - how long a bank leaves an authorisation pending on an account is down to the bank
Ah, I thought it was a function of the card processor's policies.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Ah, I thought it was a function of the card processor's policies.
It can be a mix of the sponsoring merchant bank (profile of the merchants usual transaction patterns) who underwrite the chargeback risk, card processor policies (visa/mc/amex), and the PSP API's (some are terrible). They could hard or soft enforced, hard disallowed, soft enforced - respect compliance.
https://www.braintreepayments.com/bl...n-time-frames/
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
Cancel the card, pay the outstanding balance minus the doubly charged flight. Tell them to put the charge where the sun doesn't shine. (Probably do that with a tracked first class letter, though. Also, I am not a lawyer.)
This is very bad advice.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

With the censoring of the original post, it is not easy to tell whether the 2 charges related to the same ticket number or whether 2 tickets were issued

If they both relate to same ticket number and the bank is saying that it cannot accept a dispute on the charge, it would suggest to me that it was a pending charge that disn't clear correctly - if not that, then would be useful to know why the bank is refusing to accept a dispute
The original post showed different ticket numbers.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:04 am

I've had similar earlier this year, its just BA's IT up to its usual tricks. I paid for additional bags online and had the money debited from my account, only for there to be no record whatsoever when i checked in at LHR. The payment system and the flight booking system do not always talk to each other as they should, was the explanation i was given by customer relations. You need to call that specific department who conveniently only bother to work 4 hours a day, but they can see what money BA has actually received.

I don't see the need to jump straight into accusations of fraud and so on.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
This is very bad advice.
Only if someone takes it seriously....
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by simons1

Only if someone takes it seriously....
Agree, but the OP does not appear to a native English speaker, hence may take this at face value as opposed to a (very poor) attempt at humour..
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Cancelling a card does not close the account. Nor does it absolve you of your debts. The CC company will soon come and find you. And if it was a credit you'd want them to refund you wouldn't you?

And disputing / charge back a transaction does not immediately remove it from your account. It just gets held - so it doesn't appear in the balance due and doesn't attract interest and other charges - so the card company and the merchant can investigate.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I may have been unclear but if you don’t sting them where it hurts (not using their credit card ever again) I don’t see what you expect. You may have to pay minimum payments for a few months while it settles down but then it is very much clear that those payments will have to be refunded to you.

Makes accounting easy and lets the credit card company know you’re not gonna budge.

Should be said a pending charge is probably a more likely explaination.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I may have been unclear but if you don’t sting them where it hurts (not using their credit card ever again) I don’t see what you expect. You may have to pay minimum payments for a few months while it settles down but then it is very much clear that those payments will have to be refunded to you.
Again, this is really bad advice. If you only pay the minimum, you'll get charged a shed load of interest, and the CC company will love you long time.
ptr120 and rossmacd like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Again, this is really bad advice. If you only pay the minimum, you'll get charged a shed load of interest, and the CC company will love you long time.
so the advice is pay up and do nothing? I mean I get your point but...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No one is saying that but some of your advice could cause a person financial harm if they followed it.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:08 am

The advice is not to do what you are saying. But to follow the erroneous charge through properly.

Avoiding destroying someone's credit rating.

Very irresponsible advice you are giving.
ptr120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.