Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Flight and Downgraded = No Refund

Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:20 am
LE2
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

My friend (Sliver) and I (Gold) booked travel from LHR-BRU in CE. We completed OLCI 24 hours beforehand.

Shortly afterwards, I received an email stating that 2 of the 5 flights the next day were cancelled and that we have been re-booked on a later flight. And had been downgraded to ET.

I telephoned and requested that we be put on the Brussels Airlines flight which had business class availability and departed at the same time as our original scheduled flight. The request was denied.

The next day we checked in a First check-in at T5. I had enquired if we would be moved back into CE cabin. We were told that there was a note on our booking to say that we had originally booked CE seats.

The check-in staff told us that there would be a Customer Services Representative at the gate to provide us with compensation. However, there was no such person at the gate and the gate staff knew nothing about it.

Once I returned from my trip, I noticed that we had only be credited Avios and Tier points for ET (and not CE). I telephoned and was told that BA would make the correction to award us as per our paid ticket and that we should receive a refund for the difference between CE and ET fare plus any related taxes.

I waited a couple of weeks and nothing had been actions. So, I rang back again. A few days later, my EC account had been updated correctly; however, my friend's account had not.

So, I rang back again...to this day, my friend's EC account has not been updated for the CE Avios..

I also noticed that £35 had been credited to my credit card. This seemed like a small refund amount. So I rang back again. I was put through to the fares team who stated that the £35 related only to the taxes being refunded.

There was zero refund relating to the base fare difference between CE and ET. BA's rational is that they base the refund on ET (Y) compared to CE (I) which was more expensive and therefore no refund is due.

I was shocked that I should not receive any refund of base fare when I've been involuntarily downgraded. The fares team agent told me that I should contact Customer Relations who will be able to provide 'compensation'.

So, I rang Customer Relations who stated that there would be no further refund or compensation.

I'm very frustrated by the situation:
1. Not being transferred to another flight in business class departing at the same time as our purchased ticked (albeit on another airline);
2. Being downgraded on a later flight which could have been configured to accommodate CE passengers from the other flight (e.g. I has downgraded to row 10);
3. Was told twice by different BA staff that we would received compensation.
We are not talking about a lot of money, but it is the principle of the matter.

I think at the very least that we should have received a refund equal to what BA sells airport upgrades for that sector.

I need to contact BA again to get my friend's EC account correct.

Is there anything more I can do regarding a refund / compensation? Or have I received exactly what I should receive?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by LE2
There was zero refund relating to the base fare difference between CE and ET. BA's rational is that they base the refund on ET (Y) compared to CE (I) which was more expensive and therefore no refund is due
Yet another pathetic example out of BA’s toolkit on how to minimise compensation under its legislative obligations and a further example of why an effective customer regulator is required (not the paper tiger that is the CAA).

i suspect taking either legal action or submitting to arbitration/mediation is your only remaining option OP.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
For LHR-BRU, under EC261, you are entitled to a refund of 30% of the sector less taxes and fees.

In reality, however, this will turn out to be a pittance in most cases - if, for example, you paid £250 for a return ticket you're looking at £125 per leg, of which maybe £80 will be fare and £45 will be taxes.

You're then looking at 30% of £80 - so just over £25. Sometimes the EC261 calculation is more generous, sometimes it's BA own fare refund (which will be based on historical pricing at the time of booking, not the day's Y fare), but based on what you've told us the £35 doesn't seem too far out.

The explanation that it's a tax refund is nonsense - you flew, so you are still liable to taxes, and the tax difference for that leg is only £13. Had you not taken the new flight (and travelled by, say, Eurostar) it would have been a different matter, but then you'd be looking at a total refund.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 8, 2018 at 6:02 am Reason: Getting the right direction ...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd probably chalk the refund down to experience and do some sort of original routing credit request for TP and Avios. Plus maybe attempt to get an Avios gesture for the downgrade.
atcer28 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you want to be transferred to another airline, or OAL to use the jargon, you best do that at LHR, not with a contact centre, since the latter won't have the technical ability to do that.

For the downgrade, the double whammy of the fare structure to BRU and the 30% rule makes it very difficult to get much out of the situation. If you are able to recall how much extra you paid for CE over ET then that would perhaps help. Otherwise we would need to see the full fare breakdown from the e-ticket to understand whether you have been given the right amount or not. BA calculates the Involuntary Fare Refund, which would be £13 plus the fare difference on a 50% basis for return tickets, which isn't the same as the EC261 calculation. But by all means revert with the specifics if you want someone to calculate it for you. Alternatively if you go to the main EC261 thread in the Dashboard, there are some worked examples for you to follow.

How late were you into BRU (doors open) compared to the original schedule (on the e-ticket)?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:54 am
LE2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

How late were you into BRU (doors open) compared to the original schedule (on the e-ticket)?
We were delayed 2h 20m only; therefore, no compensation there. Again, was disappointed by the lack of satisfactory compensation for the downgrade from CE to ET (£35) and the frustration of having to ring numerous times and still some outstanding issues (e.g. my friend's Avios and Tier Points).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:55 am
LE2
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the quick response and advice!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ThisIsntOM
Welcome to the lovely world of a tool we have to thank AA for called “reaccom”.......

This tool is usually used within the 48 (or 72) hours of departure to auto rebook everyone on a cancelled service.... with its priority on being getting you away to your destination... in any cabin...

It auto rebooks (working from the front of the aircraft to the rear) onto the closest flight with availablity... and will rebook J into Y, F into Y, W into Y (if that’s all that is available) and reissue your ticket!

Its focus is on getting you on the next available departure, it try’s to rebook into the same cabin but when it cant, it will rebook in the highest available...

I would say (well, any ticketing agent, a check in agent may not even notice you ever was booked J or F as reaccom would have reissued your ticket so they would be oblivious) as someone originally holding a ticket entitled to lounge access this would be honoured, i know certainly I wouldn’t argue with someone over lounge access in these circumstances.

With regards to compensation, I think in theory, you are “accepting” the rebooked class so just get the fare difference back... As you could ask to be rebooked in J class.... But you accepted the rebooked Y class (dont shoot the messenger!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.