Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2-4-1 voucher to be used by December - asking for a friend

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

A friend of mine has a 2-4-1 voucher expiring December and wants to use it in November to go somewhere interesting preferably in Club World. He would quite like somewhere in Africa such as Botswana, Vic Falls etc.

Any suggestions or likely availability?

I am guessing he has left it a bit late for J bookings (despite me telling him to do it ages ago) but any help appreciated
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC

There seems to be a bit of availability according to the app.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
There's good availability to NBO if Kenya fits the bill. It has varied safari options and the coast too.

There's also a few dates available coming back from JNB (nothing outbound). I see you can fly from NBO to Livingstone (Vic Falls) so you could book LON-NBO//JNB-LON with two regional flights, crossing Zambia-Zim overland at the falls. But check out the flight timetable and costs first - could be prohibitive.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I was going to suggest the same starting point as LBA_Flyer, namely the Reward Finder in the app, as you can set that to whole regions. Unfortunately, if you drill into the South Africa option, you will discover there are no J outbound seats available, only inbound. Based on comments by T8191, I get the impression you have to be fairly sharpish out the blocks to secure outbound J seats to SA.

The other cities have availability on both directions, although of course are more Central Africa than your original request. Despite that, I think it is still a good tool if your friend has flexibility regarding their destination.

Otherwise of course, you can set up alerts on Ba Redemption Finder and Expertflyer (if you have a subscription), in the hope that something gets released. Seats do sometimes appears close in, so if your friend has flexibility to go at short notice, that will increase their odds.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
as you can set that to whole regions
How did I not know this?! Amazing.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Is it still the case you could do a flight such as MAN-LHR whilst the voucher is valid; then do the main flight you wanted much later after, for example, a six month stopover in London?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Is it still the case you could do a flight such as MAN-LHR whilst the voucher is valid; then do the main flight you wanted much later after, for example, a six month stopover in London?
No, they closed that one. All outbound travel must now be before the expiry.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks - he should be fine with Nairobi as he has been there before and can work out where to go from there.

Which app are you talking about? The BA one? I've always done everything via the website and unfortunately my friend is rather technology-challenged but if I can give him a starting point he can telephone BA and hopefully go from there.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Karen762
Thanks - he should be fine with Nairobi as he has been there before and can work out where to go from there.

Which app are you talking about? The BA one? I've always done everything via the website and unfortunately my friend is rather technology-challenged but if I can give him a starting point he can telephone BA and hopefully go from there.
Yes, the BA mobile app. I'm on Android but assume Apple to be similar or the same. I find the mobile app much more helpful than the website for this sort of search.

One logged in, "Reward Flights" from the main menu, and then the "Reward Flight Finder" which finds the broad availability - you can search a range of dates and at differing levels of geographic granularity - across the top you'll see options for Regions/Countries/Cities. "Central and South Africa" is classed as one region in this search, and will give you the results posted by LBA_Flyer earlier. Can then just drill into each city to find the specific dates.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Saw the headline of your thread and considered volunteering to be your friend, thus helping you from having the 2-4-1 voucher expiring. Of course only as a gesture of benevolence

Understanding that you are doing the research for a friend, who has the voucher. I hope your efforts makes him offer you to travel with him, to whatever exotic destination is chosen
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Saw the headline of your thread and considered volunteering to be your friend, thus helping you from having the 2-4-1 voucher expiring. Of course only as a gesture of benevolence

Understanding that you are doing the research for a friend, who has the voucher. I hope your efforts makes him offer you to travel with him, to whatever exotic destination is chosen
Hahaha his wife and my husband might have something to say about that!

That said I have been to Kenya with him (and 11 other men) before and my husband and I regularly travel abroad with him as part of a competitive shooting team but this time it's a nice quiet trip for him and his wife.

He is very happy with a Nairobi option so thank you everyone/
pauldb, BertieBadger and LBA_flyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.