Wiki Posts
Search

Very hard landing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
No, not if done correctly...it's why we are paid good money, right? I haven't planted the nose gear in over 25,000 hours.

Check the last section of this post. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobraking
I know what Aerobraking is, I'm simply stating that it isn't an approved technique on the A320 family. You can avoid planting the nose gear by putting in a small amount of backstick just prior to the nose touching down but after spoiler deployment perfectly safely. Avoiding a firm nose gear touchdown isn't aerobraking, they're two different things.

In the instance of this post, you can happily vacate at RG on Runway 28 with idle reverse and Lo autobrake, or at F with a manual override or Medium. Or at least the last several times I've flown a 320 to Faro that's how it worked out for me. The Autobrake in the Airbus 320 targets a specific deceleration rate, 1.7m/s2 after 4 seconds for Lo and 3m/s2 after 2 seconds for medium. If anything when Medium auto brake kicks in you want the nose gear to be on the deck otherwise your hopes for it not slamming down are pretty slim.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Pilots are expected to Land the plane, not kiss the tarmac.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
it isn't an approved technique on the A320 family.
Nor the 737, 777 or 787...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Whilst aerobraking isn't an "approved technique" for most modern airliners, I can understand what fredc84 is getting at. Slamming the nosewheel onto the ground is not an"approved technique" either and we should control or fly the nosewheel onto the ground. Do we always manage it? No. A bounced landing is not an approved technique but do they happen? Yes. Pilots are not perfect and we can all make errors of technique or just plain get it wrong sometimes, it doesn't mean we are not trying.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Popular technique with the Vulcan. As noted upthread, avoids parachute deployment, recovery and repacking.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Pilots are not perfect ....
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you have a hard landing (not just firm, but "hard" as defined by the aircraft manufacturer) don't you need to do an engineering inspection before takeoff? So if the aircraft left on time after the typical short-haul turnaround there can't have been a lot of engineering attention and so it wasn't considered a "hard" landing, merely firm.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you have a hard landing (not just firm, but "hard" as defined by the aircraft manufacturer) don't you need to do an engineering inspection before takeoff? So if the aircraft left on time after the typical short-haul turnaround there can't have been a lot of engineering attention and so it wasn't considered a "hard" landing, merely firm.
BA Narrow body Airbus will let you know when you’ve gotten close to the parameters as soon as it happens, with a print out detailing your error and it’s magnitude. If this happens, the engineers will be involved as the machine also lets them know too. You have to go at it a bit to get the print out
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:15 pm

Air Europe managed a hard landing at Funchal in the old days. The crew knew it was a hard landing when the nose leg was forced up through the fuselage.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:20 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by T8191
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqBozAEpDE

Popular technique with the Vulcan. As noted upthread, avoids parachute deployment, recovery and repacking.
Magnificent aircraft used to love watching these at RAF Finningley (now DSA).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

Magnificent aircraft used to love watching these at RAF Finningley (now DSA).
I had the luxury of being SATCO Waddington when we had the 4-squadron Bomber Wing.

Yeah, current in all positions, including Local!
rapidex and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Anyone know if Airbus are making BTV standard going forward? Or is it only on the Big Bus? And can it be retrofit to other types?

Just curious. Not really on-topic I know. Btw thanks to those who have contributed with superb technical insights on this enjoyable thread ;-)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Anyone know if Airbus are making BTV standard going forward? Or is it only on the Big Bus? And can it be retrofit to other types?

Just curious. Not really on-topic I know. Btw thanks to those who have contributed with superb technical insights on this enjoyable thread ;-)
It's standard on the A350.

Retrofits of the full system onto old busses are not possible as it has lots of data connections to weird and wonderful bits of aeroplane but there was, for a while, talk of a much more modest system for the 320 / 330 CEO but still called BTV. That seems to have died off now and with NEO I doubt it will be implemented. The 320 certainly can be fitted with aspects of it as part of a Runway Overrun Protection System (ROPS) which about 1 in 4 A320s is fitted with. It's not the same but uses some of the same logic.

I know a feasibility study for full BTV on the 320NEO was carried out around 2012 but there are very limited changes to the flight deck (effectively none) and I am fairly sure BTV is not an option. (Hmm just dug around and there was some stuff from 2016 saying it WAS going to be fitted so I'm not so sure. I'm a little out of touch on the NEO.

To be honest one of the problems I have with both the 320/330 NEO and the 737MAX and similar projects is how minor the upgrades really are. I understand the economics of it but there are lots of legacy things that users hate but manufacturers keep and there are lots of new technologies that are just too tricky / expensive/ to integrate despite being brilliant and implementing the lessons of the previous generation. They feel like a wasted opportunity to me but then I'm not paying.
Pascoe likes this.

Last edited by tinkicker; Aug 10, 2018 at 2:35 am Reason: Found some more BTV info.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Maybe one issue is that all these projects have much longer lead times than one would think, and so by the time it becomes apparent that some new feature would be a really-nice-to-have, it's long past the stage in the project where introducing it is either easy or cheap.

Just a general issue faced in many walks of life and particularly both 'hard' and 'soft' engineering projects (and of course aircraft are a hugely complex marriage of both hardware and software so double the trouble)...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:58 am

Passenger perception of a "hard" landing is probably as reliable as pax perception of "Severe" turbulence. In both cases it almost certainly does NOT reach the "Industry definition" of either.... That in no way trivialises their experience.... but I suspect it almost never leads to the inspections etc that would be required if literally true....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.