Wiki Posts
Search

Back to Blue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Back to Blue

Well, this is depressing. After about 15 years of Silver and more recently Bronze (around 5000 lifetime TPs) I now find myself downgraded to lowly Blue.

Initially it was fairly easy to maintain Silver. in the mid-2000s I was flying to the US in WTP around 4 times a year plus a few European trips for work and I usually flew BA on holidays and weekend breaks too. I then found myself flying less for work, travel expenses policies being less generous and I was using budget carriers more but was still able to maintain Bronze usually with a sneaky TP-run at the end of the year. In my membership year which just finished however, I was only able to collect a feeble 50 TPs of which none was business travel. Damn you WebEx.

So, I need to decide whether it is worth trying to make it back up the membership ladder or accept that my BAEC days are over.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
If I could, I’d try a TP run just to get silver and repeat most years. I’m only a leisure flyer currently. Depends on your ‘now and future’ travel pattern...and whether it’s worth getting silver for the pattern.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
One 600 TP run every two years at start of membership year should only cost a grand or so if keeping an eye on deals.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Yes, me too, back to .blue next month. Senor Cruz’s ‘enhancements’ have not appealed, so I’ve been looking elsewhere. I generally fly in J unless prices are silly, so get a lounge anyway. However without going too much out of my way I should be in with a good chance of getting back to Silver next year. Even one long haul for you could put you half way there. If you are usually a Y or Y+ travelller it would be worth it,
rum and paulmilnes like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Get yourself on an OTP-PHX run as close to start of your year for two years of Silver !
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would just get a priority pass card for lounges (if you want lounge access) and just use whatever carrier is best

If you arn't doing enough travel to earn status, is it really worth trying to spend money and waste a lot of time to buy it back?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
At 50 tier points paying for priority boarding and a drink/snack at an airport restaurant will probably be cheaper overall than going on a tier point run.

Enjoy the fact that you have a life outside a metal tube!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Camflyer
So, I need to decide whether it is worth trying to make it back up the membership ladder or accept that my BAEC days are over.
As above - if you are not travelling regularly I dont see the point of buying status. Just do PP lounge access or even PAYG.

But BAEC days over, definitely not. Still a handy repository for Avios earned through other means and airlines. And occasionally you will get unexpected bonus....I manage to get status whilst rarely using BA.
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would just get a priority pass card for lounges (if you want lounge access) and just use whatever carrier is best

If you arn't doing enough travel to earn status, is it really worth trying to spend money and waste a lot of time to buy it back?
Probably not - but it's just something that I had got used to having for so long. The benefit I'm going to miss the most from Silver/Bronze is priority check-in. That alone can save over 30 minutes at some airports.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:32 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Yes, me too, back to .blue next month. Senor Cruz’s ‘enhancements’ have not appealed, so I’ve been looking elsewhere. I generally fly in J unless prices are silly, so get a lounge anyway. However without going too much out of my way I should be in with a good chance of getting back to Silver next year. Even one long haul for you could put you half way there. If you are usually a Y or Y+ travelller it would be worth it,
Same here; in fact I think it might be today that I crash land down to Blue. I've only gone up as far as Bronze though.

I've been using BA points that I haven't been paying for flights, so I can't have been very profitable for them. But on the other hand, it's one way to get lounge access and priority check-in.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:45 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Probably not - but it's just something that I had got used to having for so long. The benefit I'm going to miss the most from Silver/Bronze is priority check-in. That alone can save over 30 minutes at some airports.
I agree with you on this. It has helped a lot especially at airports with huge queues. I got that free before because we were travelling with our infant, although as they grow over two years old, we lose that benefit too...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:08 am

Inhave just had the email announcing my enhancement back to Blue.
Ah well,
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Well, this is depressing. After about 15 years of Silver and more recently Bronze (around 5000 lifetime TPs) I now find myself downgraded to lowly Blue.

It might be disappointing, but it makes sense: you don't travel with BA so much, so why invest time and cash in chasing status?

Buy the easyJet equivalent of the Gold card and get yourself a Priority Pass. Or just buy your way into some of the perfectly nice eateries at Heathrow if you are caught there with time on your hands.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It only saves time if travelling with luggage and there is no self service facility

How often do you travel now and how often are you queuing for 30 minutes to check in?

Just need to accept that a pretty coloured card isn't there and you will soon see that it doesn't need to make a hige difference and just book on the best airline for a particular trip

Travelling without status really doesn't need to make much difference
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Status is quite easy to get with BA. A couple weekends away in CE or weeks trips in CW and you are there. Not necessarily TP runs, just travel with TP’s in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.