Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled LHR-ZRH (BA720, 07 Aug) - Thunderstorms or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled LHR-ZRH (BA720, 07 Aug) - Thunderstorms or not?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jordan D
KARFA - as ever, many thanks. If BA are cancelling for Thunderstorms, then how does that play with LX operating to the same (+20mins) time on the same route?
Did BA not offer to get you onto the LX flight - or at least try to?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by babats
Did BA not offer to get you onto the LX flight - or at least try to?
They did - the lady on ticketing in First Wing check in area was very persistent in trying to get hold of someone on LX - alas they were 10 oversold, so didn't want to risk ticketing me for me to then be offloaded. She also let slip that the last LCY flight wasn't full, so if BA had let me know early enough I could've gone to LCY and got on that.

Originally Posted by navylad
Did you mention you lived close by to the check-in? The duty of care is to ensure you have accommodation not to ensure you have a hotel, although they should ask you which you would prefer I guess from a customer satusfaction Perspective rather than a legal perspective which may be more of a grey area

in any case, I’d put in for the travel costs and enjoy the fact that you got to sleep in your own bed rather than a hotel and put it down to risks of travel and not worry about it too much.
I said it was a 1hr journey home and 1hr journey back, which it was. It meant a 0400hrs start this morning, which wasn't appreciated, but yes, I will put in for the travel costs, albeit they are greater than the £50 limit that CWS oft mentions.

The App finally informed me that my flight last night was cancelled ... at 0515 this morning, when I was already en route to LHR for the new one. Shoddy.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The App finally informed me that my flight last night was cancelled ... at 0515 this morning, when I was already en route to LHR for the new one. Shoddy.
I didn't reply to your original point on this. Not sure what happened there at all - in my experience for last minute cancellations I usually get a text and an email pretty much within a few minutes of cancellation. I agree that in your case had you known you could have called and rebooked to go from LCY.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
If you can reasonably return home, and you mention its an hour away, BA don't need to provide you with a hotel accommodation anyway.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

I said it was a 1hr journey home and 1hr journey back, which it was. It meant a 0400hrs start this morning, which wasn't appreciated, but yes, I will put in for the travel costs, albeit they are greater than the £50 limit that CWS oft mentions.
I don't think you are covered in this situation even if you are already at the airport and live an hour away. That the agent saw that you were on the outbound was probably the reason why no hotel was offered as they assumed you'd go back home. Agree that it was poor show that they had not advised you in advance - you could have avoided travelling to the airport.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:23 am

The blitzortung website shows you lightning strikes in real time. Worth a look if you want to know what’s going on. The following link is to the world map; you can select zoomed in areas from there:
Lightning & Thunderstorms - World Map
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:01 am

My 18:35 LHR-BSL flight was pro-actively cancelled yesterday evening (preparing for potential Thunderstorms "in case of slot reductions") and I was automatically placed on this morning's flight. As I got to the airport early (I'd managed to get business class for only £30 more than the Y price, and as a bronze I fancied the excitement of an air-conditioned lounge for a few hours) I asked there what my options were. They were thinking of putting me on the Zurich flight due to leave in around 20 minutes. I was hot and didn't fancy the rush, plus I'd already started thinking about my champagne in the lounge. Then they asked if I wanted the later Zurich flight. I'm glad we didn't go for that as that's the one that was cancelled too. In the end, they routed me on the 16:15 to AMS and then KLM to BSL.

So, two lounges and two business class flights all for a £30 "upgrade" from economy. I lucked out! I'd only paid the extra as I need Tier points. I'm about 60 away from Silver and have no long-haul flights planned. Interestingly, despite already being in Basel, the BA app kept telling me to check in for my morning LHR-BSL flight and then beeped madly with notifications regarding gate numbers and boarding times. I'm sure it'll all sort out. Shame there's no extra tier points for the KLM flight.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
<SNIP> Shame there's no extra tier points for the KLM flight.
You can ask for 'original routing credit' for the BA flight that you couldn't take due to IRROPS, and (if you are a Skyteam member) get points for the KLM flights.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Thanks for that. I was due to fly LHR-BSL (40 tier points) and instead flew LHR-AMS (40 tier points, I assume) and AMS-BSL (no tier points, but KLM stuff). So I assume if I do nothing I'll still get the right amount of tier points, and I probably won't bother with KLM as I hardly ever fly them.

I will keep an eye on it though, as the auto-rebook thing put me on this morning's LHR-BSL in economy.

Edit: Correctly credited with the 40 tier points for the LHR-AMS flight, plus got a slightly larger cabin bonus as booked into J instead of I.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Aug 9, 2018 at 4:11 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The Swiss meteo gives violent storms around GVA 2200-2400 today and storms for both GVA and ZRH tomorrow evening.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... I said it was a 1hr journey home and 1hr journey back, which it was. It meant a 0400hrs start this morning, which wasn't appreciated, but yes, I will put in for the travel costs, albeit they are greater than the £50 limit that CWS oft mentions ...
You will of course be entitled to reimbursement for both directions.
Jordan D likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by A P Yu
If you can reasonably return home, and you mention its an hour away, BA don't need to provide you with a hotel accommodation anyway.
Define "reasonably". BA delayed me overnight and frankly it was a bit of a faff organising a taxi back home last night and then again this morning. I'll end up out of pocket as each journey was more than £50 (or will have to go to my travel insurance for it), whereas a hotel would have been a lot less effort in cost recovery for me.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but BA took a commercial decision to cancel the ZRH operation last night - patently their aircraft from LCY and LX's from LHR operated without issue, and moreover they decided to choose ZRH in and amongst all the ones they could have chosen last night. The least they could have done was offer a hotel - at least I could make a decision from there.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Define "reasonably". BA delayed me overnight and frankly it was a bit of a faff organising a taxi back home last night and then again this morning. I'll end up out of pocket as each journey was more than £50 (or will have to go to my travel insurance for it), whereas a hotel would have been a lot less effort in cost recovery for me.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but BA took a commercial decision to cancel the ZRH operation last night - patently their aircraft from LCY and LX's from LHR operated without issue, and moreover they decided to choose ZRH in and amongst all the ones they could have chosen last night. The least they could have done was offer a hotel - at least I could make a decision from there.
They were indeed forced to make a commercial decision, and people did have to luck out and yes indeed the could have offered you a hotel or indeed you could have also asked for one I guess, Whether they are legally required to or not would be a matter for legal interpretation. Likewise whether you could have got one using your travel insurance would depend on your cover. Thankfully you got there in the end though.

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The least they could have done was offer a hotel - at least I could make a decision from there.
If you wanted a hotel the easiest thing would have been to go and stay in one and claim it back at a later date.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you wanted a hotel the easiest thing would have been to go and stay in one and claim it back at a later date.
With no or little prospect that the claim would be successful? 'Wanting to stay' and 'when it is necessary to stay' are not the same things. I'd have only stayed at the hotel rather than gone home, when it was purely for my convenience, if I was ready to cover the cost myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.