Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled LHR-ZRH (BA720, 07 Aug) - Thunderstorms or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

Was scheduled to be on the last LHR-ZRH rotation today, but on arriving at F check in today, got handed a boarding pass for tomorrow's BA710 (first flight of the day). Check in agent was perplexed - apparently mine was one of the (un)lucky 10 flights tonight to be cancelled "due to the Thunderstorms". First I had heard of it - no text or push notification on the app, and it was still showing my scheduled 1945 departure when I refreshed as I left home at 1645 ... even though it was apparently cancelled at 1400.

The ticketing agent in First Wing tried valiantly to get me on the last LX rotation at 2005, which was still operating, noting that seats also existed on the last LCY BA departure but no chance to get from LHR to LCY in time for it at 1830.

Offer of a hotel for the night was not proactively made, nor any mention of the provisions (duty of care) under EU261.

Notwithstanding that the IRROPS handling was poor (in theory I could've looked at a screen some point between kerb and check in and been aware a few minutes earlier), some questions arise:
- if cancelled at 1400 (words of the ticket agent) why was no text made and push notification on the app?
- if BA's justification for cancelling the 1945 departure tonight is Thunderstorms, then why did the last LCY rotation go out without issue (admittedly 75mins earlier) and why was LX still operating to ZRH at more or less the same time.
- with no offering of a hotel, etc., did BA fail at its minimum duty of care?

(For reference the other cancellations, from memory, were Basel, Geneva, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast - so 10 flights in total, 1 per destination).
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There definitely have been and continue to be quite a few thunderstorms across mainland Europe today. In particular there have been some over France and other parts of Europe affecting airports directly in the path and surround ATC sectors which have had to take more aircraft diverting around. Capacity isn’t limitless so sometimes that means delays or even cancellations.

if you need to confirm the ATC situation at the time the eurocontol site is always useful, you can see the overall sector delay map and click on the tactical update for specific information

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in.../gateway/spec/
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:45 pm

From EF, WEAN usually means weather and the N is for no EC261 compensation.

Code:
DOBA720/07AUG
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 720    0 TU 07AUG18   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

FLIGHT CANCELLED                           0714            
     WEAN                                                       
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 720    0 TU 07AUG18    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
LHR          1945  TU JCDRI/M  YB/G       319         1:50      
                      HKMLVNOQSG/G
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:46 pm

The Met office has forecasted thunderstorms in SE England for the evening, causing a flow rate restriction and a reduction in movements.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Also the eurocontrol tweets from earlier today

Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA
From EF, WEAN usually means weather and the N is for no EC261 compensation.

Code:
DOBA720/07AUG
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 720 0 TU 07AUG18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0714
WEAN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 720 0 TU 07AUG18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1945 TU JCDRI/M YB/G 319 1:50
HKMLVNOQSG/G
WEAN is also to wean you off these € of compensation 😀
Interestingly the EF data also says flight was cancelled at 0714
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Interestingly the EF data also says flight was cancelled at 0714
that time isn’t what it seems. Some discussion of that recently on another thread was clear that it doesn’t mean the flight was cancelled at time 0714, unfortunately it isn’t clear what time it does refer to.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

KARFA - as ever, many thanks. If BA are cancelling for Thunderstorms, then how does that play with LX operating to the same (+20mins) time on the same route?

Regardless of cancelling for thunderstorms, the duty of care (overnight accommodation, meal) doesn't disappear, correct? So by not proactively offering this, they've failed in this regard?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Jordan D
KARFA - as ever, many thanks. If BA are cancelling for Thunderstorms, then how does that play with LX operating to the same (+20mins) time on the same route?

Regardless of cancelling for thunderstorms, the duty of care (overnight accommodation, meal) doesn't disappear, correct? So by not proactively offering this, they've failed in this regard?
The airport will restrict capacity and tell each airline to cancel x flights within the restriction window and the airline picks which flight it wants to cancel. BA will likely have picked the least loaded (or maybe even their only flight in that time span) while LX may have cancelled a service from GVA for example.

Re duty of care it’s wrong not to offer it proactively but it still applies. You got it in the end, right? If so, there is not much to do. You may want to highlight this in a brief email with the name of the agent. If they get too many complaints they may get a gentle reminder.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
that time isn’t what it seems. Some discussion of that recently on another thread was clear that it doesn’t mean the flight was cancelled at time 0714, unfortunately it isn’t clear what time it does refer to.
I have come to the view it is 6 or 7 hours off UK time, so 13:14 or 14:14 BST Most other cases suggest about 6 hours too.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Re duty of care it’s wrong not to offer it proactively but it still applies. You got it in the end, right? If so, there is not much to do. You may want to highlight this in a brief email with the name of the agent. If they get too many complaints they may get a gentle reminder.
I didn't actually - it was only when I was half way home that I thought about it. Have normally been at home when the cancellation is made, so never leave to head out. The last time I took an overnight delay (snow in Feb), I simply stayed at home for the night. In this case it was 1hr back home and another 1hr back to LHR tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
My OTP-LHR was also delayed for an hour coming back today, the Captain came to talk to the first few rows of CE to discuss in detail (and I suppose to take any flak personally, which I felt was good of him). I pulled up Flightradar24 and it showed several areas of intense precipitation on the direct route to LHR, including over eastern Austria and southern Germany, exactly where the Captain had said he had flow restrictions affecting the flight. Not much was visible closer to LHR.

En route, we were at 37000ft and went past some clouds higher than that - which are not usually the sort you want to route your aircraft through, so I can easily see that restricting aircraft flow.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Did you mention you lived close by to the check-in? The duty of care is to ensure you have accommodation not to ensure you have a hotel, although they should ask you which you would prefer I guess from a customer satusfaction Perspective rather than a legal perspective which may be more of a grey area

in any case, I’d put in for the travel costs and enjoy the fact that you got to sleep in your own bed rather than a hotel and put it down to risks of travel and not worry about it too much.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
We have had very bad storms across Switzerland over the past couple of evenings. This evening and particularly tomorrow evening (Thursday) will be bad in GVA - beware!!!.
Also LX may divert to GVA if there are problems at ZRH and vice-versa.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by morges1
We have had very bad storms across Switzerland over the past couple of evenings. This evening and particularly tomorrow evening (Thursday) will be bad in GVA - beware!!!.
Also LX may divert to GVA if there are problems at ZRH and vice-versa.
And this morning there is finally some rain in the eastern side

ZRH seems to be functioning well this morning considering the thunderstorms - just passed under the flight path, with 4 aircraft on approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.