Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What’s made your day on a BA flight recently?

Old Aug 7, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold

After deciding to take a last minute trip to Italy using Avios in CE – I thought it might be nice to share a few things I observed on the way home.

The cabin manager was enthusiastic, professional and possessed the banter only BA staff can have (plus not a single gold greeting in sight ^)

Seating Arrangements (status vs non status)

I had selected 1A and could see 1C as the only blocked seat in the cabin up to around 1 hour before departure where 1C became available. It stayed that way. 2C was asked by a couple in a very assuming way to move to 2D so they could sit together in 2A and 2C. I asked the cabin manager if it would be okay to sit in 1C instead and casually mentioned the seat switching behind, suggesting they might want to offer the guy now in 2D, 1A instead. This was gratefully received with the cabin manager telling me they took full credit all seemed like win-win.

Traffic Restrictions/Slot Delay (beyond the flight deck)

There was a short delay due to traffic restrictions/weather in the Alps, maybe 25 mins or so. The only person that seemed to mind was some guy who came up from ET to state their dissatisfaction over the door being closed and not being able to spend more time in the lounge. I was frankly enjoy the ground air available as it had been the coolest I had been in a few days!

The reason this was significant to the experience was the care and attention the captain paid in his interactions with the cabin – simply first class. Door left open until push back. They were many reassuring words for any nervous flyers around the reason of the delay and what to expect as there were some thunderstorms to fly around. This was repeated during turbulence, with just the right amount of detail explained in non –technical language. I later learnt the captain is part of the beyond the flight deck programme. The ride wasn’t that bad, except I think maybe the first officer might have done the landing

Executive Club Messages (making use of the delay)

Soft drinks were offered to the CE cabin during the delay. I observed the cabin manager writing out some BA cards whilst getting some information from the right screens on their iPad (interesting process and can see why this might be faff to execute on a consistent basis). During the assent, they prepare 4 glasses of champagne and swiftly deliver them to the right customers in ET before commencing service in CE – I am sure that they made the customers day. Turns out there were two birthdays on board. How lovely to see this happen, and one of the many reasons this flight was so wonderful.

I’ll skip the negative parts as I think we’ve heard them all before! Golden tickets submitted.

Last edited by lavajava; Aug 7, 18 at 8:28 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 7, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Really nice to hear all the above. I have a favourite CSM on my LGW flights ( I think it's considered bad form to name them on FT so I never do?) . Out of 8 sectors flown so far with BA, 9 & 10 in a couple days, He has been on 5 of them and he even remembered Mrs Clam & I after the first two legs we had him on. I pray for the chap to be looking after our flight because he's obviously old school and his personality shines through. He knows everything about everything BA and knows we are racing to hit 'Silver in Six' ( which as purely leisure travellers we're excited about although I appreciate its nothing to the business travellers here lol) & was happy to give advice & hints of his own. He's cheeky and just a joy to be around.

BA crew really do have the ability to make or break a flight for me. The only thing that disappoints me is that after sector three when I took the time whilst away to email BA & tell them just what an amazing asset I felt he was that I didn't even get a generic response which worries me that those who deserve it maybe don't get the recognition they deserve. I've already committed to making him my 1st GT if ever I reach the lofty heights of gold although he's an older gentleman and I worry that he may have retired before I am ever in a position to do so as in reality i'm not sure the purse strings will reach that far as things stand right now.

Is there any other form of recognition scheme that BA operate for those of us newer to BA and/ or lower down status wise?( I'm told our CIV files are quite healthy looking right now but I appreciate we are nothings status wise) If there is and any staffers or those of you higher up the food chain know about i'd greatly appreciate knowing about it for that chap alone. I kind of hope so because after I sent a glowing email about one of SleazyJets staff to them once years ago they sent me an email thanking me along with a pic of the member of CC happily posing with a bottle of bubbles, a bouquet of flowers and a cheque for £50 ( I presume the poor girl was happy to do so and wasn't made to do it lol). If a LCC can reward in that way when they dont even have a status scheme i'd hope BA have at least something that us non Golds / GGL's etc can use to give credit where it's due.

My flight on Thursday is to Rome maybe i'll get the same crew as you did or my favourite CSM - who may even be the same bloke as it sounds like him from your description of great service
lavajava and HIDDY like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I wrote up (briefly) my LHR-FCO in CE a few months back. Just everything was spot on.

When BA do it well, they do it very well.

Shame the crew have to put up with BA management.

I even got row 1 at 23hours 59 mins before flight!
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:09 pm

What made my day on a BA flight was getting a QR substitute; proper J!
Cymro and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
The ride wasn’t that bad, except I think maybe the first officer might have done the landing
The Captain can have an off day too

Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
Is there any other form of recognition scheme that BA operate for those of us newer to BA and/ or lower down status wise?
Nice to hear of some positive experiences. I do believe that a vast majority of staff try their best with what their given.

Having been on the receiving end, www.ba.com/thankyou seems to be a good way to pass on a compliment. While no monetary reward, the staff member is made aware and a record is kept on their file.
lavajava and TWCLAM like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
“We have to throw the rest of this bottle away before we land, and no one’s drinking champagne so I’ll pour the rest into a plastic for you to finish” - There was quite a lot.
But seriously a great crew and fun banter make the flight and is why I’ll choose to pay extra (and the TPs) to upgrade to CE - and all my flying for a while has been for leisure.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Did my first LCY-JFK and really enjoyed it. Big plus is the Shannon stop and arriving domestic at JFK. However the whole thing was made memorable but great ground staff at checkin and boarding and great cabin crew who were very attentive and engaging.

As an aside, boarding was slightly delayed and we were kept informed by staff who barely contain a smile....”Engineers are attending the plane...the wine cooler isn’t function”. So glad BA got their priorities right!
lavajava and fotographer like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@Boeing77W - Sincere thanks for letting me know about that. As 90% of my flights are out of LGW I imagine i'll, hopefully, bump into him again and when I get the same great service i'll be sure to use that link to pay it forward to someone I see as an asset to BA

fyi Simply going by your name, if you're on my LGW-PUJ flight 02-09/ 13-14-09 come say HI we'll be in 2AB
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alibarber View Post
“We have to throw the rest of this bottle away before we land, and no one’s drinking champagne so I’ll pour the rest into a plastic for you to finish” - There was quite a lot.
But seriously a great crew and fun banter make the flight and is why I’ll choose to pay extra (and the TPs) to upgrade to CE - and all my flying for a while has been for leisure.
Haha, where you on my flight? That might have happened too, cannot confirm or deny. The rest of the sparking water was also appreciated. Shame I didn't keep up the pretense of my seatmate in 1A thinking the cabin manager passed me their phone number on a little slip of paper.

Of course it was the captain's full name so I got it right.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Two take away bottles of Castlenau after a very good flight in CE.

Cris L and TWCLAM like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
@Boeing77W - Sincere thanks for letting me know about that. As 90% of my flights are out of LGW I imagine i'll, hopefully, bump into him again and when I get the same great service i'll be sure to use that link to pay it forward to someone I see as an asset to BA

fyi Simply going by your name, if you're on my LGW-PUJ flight 02-09/ 13-14-09 come say HI we'll be in 2AB
No worries, happy to help when I can. Unfortunately I won’t be on that flight. My username is five years old now. I’m on the 787
Old Aug 7, 18, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
We had had one of those pretty much perfect BA flights yesterday but with, literally, the icing on the cake. Flew LGW/FLL and delighted we were ‘upgraded’ to Flub. On a rammed flight with all the jump seats taken by staff and crew family members, we really appreciated the space and quiet cabin. The crew were wonderful; efficient, friendly, genuine and happy to chat despite being rushed off their feet.

Our son son celebrated his 12th birthday and we were recipients of a handwritten card signed by the CW crew plus a special message from the captain, presented with a cake (supplied by Mum) to a rather embarrassed but delighted boy.

All in contrast to the rather indifferent and nonchalant service and crew I’d recently experienced on an AA TATL flight.

Old Aug 7, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
On any flight just arriving makes my day!
Old Aug 7, 18, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegamebird View Post
We had had one of those pretty much perfect BA flights yesterday but with, literally, the icing on the cake. Flew LGW/FLL and delighted we were ‘upgraded’ to Flub. On a rammed flight with all the jump seats taken by staff and crew family members, we really appreciated the space and quiet cabin. The crew were wonderful; efficient, friendly, genuine and happy to chat despite being rushed off their feet.

Our son son celebrated his 12th birthday and we were recipients of a handwritten card signed by the CW crew plus a special message from the captain, presented with a cake (supplied by Mum) to a rather embarrassed but delighted boy.

All in contrast to the rather indifferent and nonchalant service and crew I’d recently experienced on an AA TATL flight.
Wow - how cool is that
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
What a lovely thread. ^
lavajava and florens like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: