LHR T3: going from airside to landside

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ gold, Miles&bonus gold
LHR T3: going from airside to landside

Not sure if this is the most proper board for the following question, but after having lurked here for some time, I believe that the denizens here may be the most knowledgeable ones in helping me.

I am going to arrive at LHR T3 at around 7am on Sunday (from an overnight flight), with my connecting flight leaving at around 6pm, again from T3. This gives me several hours to spend in London, which I intend to do. I would like to have a shower before I head to the city, but, flying in Y, there is no (unpaid) arrivals lounge access for me. However, my status gives me access to airside lounges. Hence I could go airside (passing the security check, but nevermind), go to a lounge, take a shower, get out of the airport, do my things in the city, come back to the airport (and have an afternoon snack in the lounge).

Studying the maps of T3, I cannot figure out how to leave T3 once I'm airside. The FAQs of this forum instruct how to do it in T5 (a much more difficult procedure than in airports that allow arriving and departing passengers to mix), but not in T3. Is it even possible?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unlike T5 it is relatively easy to leave T3 from airside. The easiest directions I can give you is go to the American Airlines lounge (Lounge H on the unhelpful Heathrow signage) then move towards the former Flight Connection corridor area and you will then see the signs saying "Flight Connections" in purple, and yellow signs for "Arrivals". The latter is the one you want, but if you don't see Arrivals then follow Flight Connections sign until you do.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum PeeterL, I do hope that we will see more of you here.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:18 am

Is this the door the guy is looking for
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mwp1
Is this the door the guy is looking for
Thats the temporary FCC which is now closed as the new permanent building has opened.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is there no "Ready To Fly" equivalent at T3, like there is at T5? Could one merrily walk round the loop and re-enter security multiple times without raising any eyebrows?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unlike T5 it is relatively easy to leave T3 from airside. The easiest directions I can give you is go to the American Airlines lounge (Lounge H on the unhelpful Heathrow signage) then move towards the former Flight Connection corridor area and you will then see the signs saying "Flight Connections" in purple, and yellow signs for "Arrivals". The latter is the one you want, but if you don't see Arrivals then follow Flight Connections sign until you do.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum PeeterL, I do hope that we will see more of you here.
Wouldn't the OP have to reclear immigration?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DCflyerAA-YX
Wouldn't the OP have to reclear immigration?
Doing the initial connection from flight A to flight B there is no immigration, so getting to the lounge would avoid this. But leaving airside T3 at any stage means passing the UK Border and therefore a passport check. Re-entering T3 later that day would not involve going through passport control.

Originally Posted by Deltus
Is there no "Ready To Fly" equivalent at T3, like there is at T5? Could one merrily walk round the loop and re-enter security multiple times without raising any eyebrows?
No, HAL have something called Positive Boarding to control entrance into T3 but it has nothing like the functionality of Ready to Fly and it's not even mandatory to be registered on it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Genius1

Thats the temporary FCC which is now closed as the new permanent building has opened.
Is it still possible to do this (to exit from T3 departures), and where would I find the current "secret door"? Does it have clear Arrivals signs?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffay005
Is it still possible to do this (to exit from T3 departures), and where would I find the current "secret door"? Does it have clear Arrivals signs?
Yes but that door shown in post 3 is no more.

Have a look at this post in the T5 connection guide https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998308-post383.html
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Great, thanks a lot! ^
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Air Canada 25K, Accorhotel Gold
My wife arrive and I arriving on BA58 from CPT in F on a Thursday in May, arriving at 6:30 AM T3. Subsequently leaving on BA 85 to Vancouver at 5:20 PM from T3 in F. European and Canadian passports - intending to enter and leave UK on the EU passports.
Where would be the best place to take a shower and potentially store cabin bags?
Main bags will be checked through.
From this thread and others, there seem to be two options.

Option 1
First we use Flight Connections, intending to stay in T3, emerge Airside in T3, and then use one of the several departure lounges we would be eligible for.
Do all of these lounges accept cabin bags in storage for the day?
Assuming we take this option, how do we then exit to Arrivals, is the door referenced by CWS above still near the American Airlines lounge?
We then go through immigration and exit landside?
Any potential problems re-entering Airside at T3 later that day if we follow the above?

Option 2
The other option would seem to be to follow the Arrivals signs, go through immigration and use the American Airlines arrivals lounge.
Once we’ve done that, are there are luggage lockers to take cabin bags landside in terminal three?

How do these two options compare time wise in terms of getting to stand outside T3?
Quality of breakfast and shower much different between the two?

We haven’t decided yet whether to take a day room in a hotel or head off somewhere for the day, and potential locations are discussed elsewhere in terms of heading off.
If we were to take a day room in a hotel, the hotels on site are at T5 and T4. From T3, which of these terminals are easiest to get to and get back from?
Major price differences here between hotels?

Any help appreciated
Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffnoone
My wife arrive and I arriving on BA58 from CPT in F on a Thursday in May, arriving at 6:30 AM T3. Subsequently leaving on BA 85 to Vancouver at 5:20 PM from T3 in F. European and Canadian passports - intending to enter and leave UK on the EU passports.
Where would be the best place to take a shower and potentially store cabin bags?
Main bags will be checked through.
From this thread and others, there seem to be two options.

Option 1
First we use Flight Connections, intending to stay in T3, emerge Airside in T3, and then use one of the several departure lounges we would be eligible for.
Do all of these lounges accept cabin bags in storage for the day?
Assuming we take this option, how do we then exit to Arrivals, is the door referenced by CWS above still near the American Airlines lounge?
We then go through immigration and exit landside?
Any potential problems re-entering Airside at T3 later that day if we follow the above?

Option 2
The other option would seem to be to follow the Arrivals signs, go through immigration and use the American Airlines arrivals lounge.
Once weve done that, are there are luggage lockers to take cabin bags landside in terminal three?

How do these two options compare time wise in terms of getting to stand outside T3?
Quality of breakfast and shower much different between the two?

We havent decided yet whether to take a day room in a hotel or head off somewhere for the day, and potential locations are discussed elsewhere in terms of heading off.
If we were to take a day room in a hotel, the hotels on site are at T5 and T4. From T3, which of these terminals are easiest to get to and get back from?
Major price differences here between hotels?

Any help appreciated
Jeff
I would use the AA arrivals lounge. Its more straightforward. They also have loads more showers than any of the airside lounges (dozens of them - so no wait). The breakfast is very good (not better than in CX F lounge, which you can save for later in the day, but as good or better than BA F Lounge).

I dont think any of the lounges will store your bags without you being present in the lounge, but you can ask. If not there is a luggage company at T3 who will store it for you for the day for 12.50 a bag. https://www.excess-baggage.com/

On the day room option. You can transfer between terminals airside. When you arrive follow Flight Connections and get a bus to T4 or T5, then clear immigration in those terminals.

Landside you can transfer easily and for free by the Heathrow Express or Connect trains. T5 will be easier as the trains go every 15 mins.
jeffnoone likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC
I would suggest a few hours in Windsor if you want to venture outside of the airport. 20mins by cab.
jeffnoone likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Air Canada 25K, Accorhotel Gold
Originally Posted by Vgravity

I would use the AA arrivals lounge. Its more straightforward. They also have loads more showers than any of the airside lounges (dozens of them - so no wait). The breakfast is very good (not better than in CX F lounge, which you can save for later in the day, but as good or better than BA F Lounge).

I dont think any of the lounges will store your bags without you being present in the lounge, but you can ask. If not there is a luggage company at T3 who will store it for you for the day for 12.50 a bag. https://www.excess-baggage.com/

On the day room option. You can transfer between terminals airside. When you arrive follow Flight Connections and get a bus to T4 or T5, then clear immigration in those terminals.

Landside you can transfer easily and for free by the Heathrow Express or Connect trains. T5 will be easier as the trains go every 15 mins.
Thanks VGravity, good to hear about the number of showers in AA Lounge - great advice

Maybe an odd question, but if I was to go with first options (using Airsdie lounges), would we need two Fast Track passes each (one for line at Flight Connections, one for line/queue eventually heading out thru Arrivals)?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffnoone
Thanks VGravity, good to hear about the number of showers in AA Lounge - great advice

Maybe an odd question, but if I was to go with first options (using Airsdie lounges), would we need two Fast Track passes each (one for line at Flight Connections, one for line/queue eventually heading out thru Arrivals)?
Hmmmm. Flight connections fast track is dictated by your status or class of travel, so passes arent needed. So if you are in F/J or Oneworld Emerald or Sapphire you will get fast track there. Note that at that time in the morning Fast Track isnt always quicker than the regular line due to volume of status and business travelers.

The fast track passes are only for non-EU pax at the U.K. border. So I think the answer to your Q is you only need one pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.