Wiki Posts
Search

JFK CCR is a zoo tonight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

nothing wrong with children in any lounge per se. I don’t see why all children should be excluded from the CCR.
I didn't suggest excluding children entirely obviously that's over the top, perhaps just those that are too young to keep their noise level to an acceptable minimum
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
I didn't suggest excluding children entirely obviously that's over the top, perhaps just those that are too young to keep their noise level to an acceptable minimum
Ok, apologies I thought you did based on this which would suggest restricting access based on age - or were you suggesting allowing the children in and restricting the adults out

It's a shame there isn't at least some form of age restriction at the CCR to be honest
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Yes & that includes Parents who don’t give a Monkeys what their children get up to
I've certainly seen parents appear not to be fully in control of their children, and apparently not caring either. But those instances are few and far between when compared to the more regular occurrences of cringeworthy, deafening mobile phone calls, or teleconferences using speakerphone, or just exceptionally loud people who might have had a drink or two too many.

But, like flying J or F - or any cabin, really - I chalk it up to just being part of the public transport experience.
HIDDY and ConfusedByBAEC like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
I've seen a lot of impeccably-behaved children, of all ages, in the CCR, GF, etc, and as mentioned, it's only ever the minority. The apathy of lounge staff was concerning and I'm sure the OP wasn't the only one who approached them. Look, it can be a distressing experience for the parents of a young child with a disorder (spectrum, etc.), but one can normally tell when a young child is genuinely unwell (like the child on the LH plane to EWR who was screaming) and those just plain and simply misbehaving. Throwing crisps on the floor, stamping on them and then laughing to others, with the parents just sitting there and laughing too, is poor form and no one's a fan of that.
GLA and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Ok, apologies I thought you did based on this which would suggest restricting access based on age - or were you suggesting allowing the children in and restricting the adults out
No no you're right, but not up to the age of 18. Perhaps somewhere along the age of 7, and while they're at it they should ban bluetooth phone calls, and discussion of deals worth over £50
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Always avoided flying in July/August....far too many tier point runners about inspecting my every move. 😁
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many of the ill-behaved children are in their 50's and can't hold their liquor or never heard of a headphone for a mobile.

This is not about age. Many of us were infants at one point ! I did notice that in a writeup of the Centurion Lounge there is a children's play area which might be of some help.

This issue falls exclusively on BA and its failure to properly train and require its staff to deal with such issues.

But, staff in service industries are trained not to make waves. When there is too much noise or other bad behavior, they fail to realize that by not dealing with the source of the problem, they are providing poor service to others. That direction has to come from the top. E.g., a clear warning followed by an invitation to perhaps enjoy the remainder of the wait elsewhere.
tedcruz likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I did notice that in a writeup of the Centurion Lounge there is a children's play area which might be of some help.
It has always amused me that the children's play room at the ORD Admirals Club is next to the quiet room with only a rather flimsy wall between them. But the idea is there.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
BUT what went wrong on TP run ? Just curious ......
Since you ask.....

APU failure on the 747 on the way out on Friday- I’d got SSSS, so held downstairs at gate with families. Children naturally and understandably ratty and getting worse- 3 hours late into JFK- I made my connection- travelling companion bounced onto later flight, meaning not enough time to go to Hotel as planned.

my flight back from PHX was delayed, but I would have made my connection, if the flight had had a first officer. After 20 minutes a guy comes up from economy and offers to be first officer (No, really) another 30 minutes to check his credentials etc and we were off. I missed the last flight to JFK, which meant my day in NYC with a friend was lost..

all good since then
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Immigration hall was a zoo too when I got off BA183 around 22.30. No BA reps or Special Services people in evidence anywhere.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Given that the Lounges are such dreadful places, full of wild children on phones shouting about deals, and wild adults destroying crisps, may I recommend the public lounges?
I have never seen bad behaviour in places like Pret at T5, or WH Smiths at T5.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
my flight back from PHX was delayed, but I would have made my connection, if the flight had had a first officer. After 20 minutes a guy comes up from economy and offers to be first officer (No, really) another 30 minutes to check his credentials etc and we were off.
I hope he still collected tier points and avios for his journey.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Given that the Lounges are such dreadful places, full of wild children on phones shouting about deals, and wild adults destroying crisps, may I recommend the public lounges?
Aside from anything else, it's a massive waste of crisps. I love crisps.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Imrather have 10 children with or without "issues" scremaing and running around in a business lounge (where i can leave it gets to bad) then 1 adult women in a plane that enjoyed way to much boose, took almost all here cloths of while shouting way to hard and made the plane go back to the gate after taxiing to the runway.
believe me, if nobody else is laughing, it aint funny.

allthough, when the police came on board and took her of the plane a lot of people where laughing.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Whilst clearly no havens of luxury or calm, I wouldn’t agree that lounges are ‘dreadful places’ - although, as per my earlier post, the standard of selfish behaviour (both adults and children) often seen within them does appear to be more frequent ..... I suppose very much in tandem with selfish attitudes increasingly witnessed onboard aircraft, and indeed in everyday life. Certainly BA lounges were a lot more peaceful when I first began using them, more years ago than I care to say.

Not sure just how people can be prevented from shouting into phones, playing video games on full volume, commandeering whole bottles of alcohol back to their ‘own’ table etc etc - other than imposing bans on anyone who shows no willingness to adjust their behaviour when requested to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.