Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE and service failure compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
IFE and service failure compensation

Unfortunately my sister had a bad experience flying BA SYD-SIN in Y

1. IFE was broken for the way.

2. CC spilt tomato juice on her blanket, pillow and clothes. Unfortunately they had a spare blanket but no pillow.

So they offered GBP20 voucher compensation. Doesnt pay for dry cleaning even. Sounds low to me?

What should she be pushing for (she was thinking something closer to GBP100? Alternatively was thinking she should push for 10,000 avios + dry cleaning costs?

​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by ermen; Aug 5, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You should be chucked some Avios for the IFE. But the tomato juice? Accidents happen - and what was she wearing on a 24 hour flight that is dry clean only? Tomato juice will wash out cooler wash no bother
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:16 am

What was wrong with the IFE?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Were there any spare seats she could have been moved too?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Unfortunately my sister had a bad experience flying BA SYD-SIN in Y

1. IFE was broken for the way.

2. CC spilt tomato juice on her blanket, pillow and clothers. Unfortunately they had a spare blanket but no pillow.

So they offered GBP20 eoucher compensation. Doesnt pay for dry cleaning even. Sounds low to me?

What should she be pushing for (she was thinking something closer to GBP100? Alternatively was thinking she should push for 10,000 avios + dry cleaning costs?
​​​

​​​​​
10000 avios sounds bit far fetch...I guess 2000-4000 maybe the max that BA are willing to offer...

But was she offered a change of seat at the first place?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, EK Blue, Best Western Diamond Select, Hilton Gold
In Dec 17 I got 15k for a slightly defective bed (buttons didn’t always work) and a screen tjat needed to be held open using a menu.The crew member saying ‘oh yeah, that broke on the outbound’ probably helped as there was no apology or service recovery offered!

This was on a JNB - LHR A380 J.

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA will reimburse the dry cleaning costs on submission of the bill but other than a couple thousand avios they won't offer any additional compensation - certainly not £100.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just my 2 pennies, is it me or does it seem that every time something goes wrong on any flight no matter how small or big, passengers are always looking for some sort of comp, rather then just chalk to up to just the joys of flying?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If there’s was a spare seat in the same cabin I would have not offered any compensation just a dry cleaning voucher.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just my 2 pennies, is it me or does it seem that every time something goes wrong on any flight no matter how small or big, passengers are always looking for some sort of comp, rather then just chalk to up to just the joys of flying?
Not just you.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
Unfortately the culture we live in. I work in retail management and we’re regularly taken to court over what I’d consider nonsense. Thankfully the judge often agrees. The general public are constantly looking for a reason to blame someone and how they can make money out of it.

The problem is, this creates a culture where genuine complaints are now regarded in the same vain as the nonsense ones. Courts, insurance companies & social media have created a culture where companies are afraid to tell those who are piss take claimants to take a running jump.

In respect to the original complaint, as was said, accidents happen. If your sister spilled the tomato juice on herself due to turbulence would she claim off BA? Surely the flight attendant didn’t deliberately spill it.
As for the tv, ultimately what’s it worth to you? She booked safe passage from A to B in a particular seat with a food & luggage allowance. She got that. Yes IFE was part of the contract, but just a percentage. So work out how big a part that was and go from there...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
andy...
In retail I would love to know the history of who started to treat who badly.
In the 70s I did expect customer service from retail. By the 80s I gave up as the 16 year olds in the shop did not want to "serve"anyone.

Even in John Lewis they have to keep sending staff on the retail equivalent of "PPF". (BA historic training for CC), otherwise they forget. Even now, getting the price for something is a real challenge in John Lewis, High Wycombe. Few price signs, and fewer staff.

I am not surprised about the litigation and complaints in retail.

BA CC are normally the saving of BA. However, they do not send them on PPF as PPF required the Co to spend money.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If this was about 2 months ago then I imagine it was the same aircraft that took me SIN-SYD. They had an aircraft wide issue with the IFE and it didn't work for anybody. No real hardship for me as I have long since watched everything I want to on BA's offering so always have the iPad and mainly wanted to sleep but Avios are always useful so I put in a CS message and was given 15k Avios. This was in CW though and I am a Gold member, worth asking but it won't be £100!
fotographer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:14 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
So tomato juice gets spilled on a pillow - what harm might it do to anyone? OP hasn't mentioned a tomato allergy.
Was Op planning to never wash their clothes again? Is tomato juice a stain that annot be removed like gloss paint? So where is the loss?
Simple solution - turn pillow upside down, your head isn't on the spillage. Grounds for compensayshun nil.

Since when has a simple apology not been good enough. People sue for damages, but when there are NO damages why should there be any compensation which we all pay for in the fares?

11 years ago on my first ever journey in business class on AA, a CC member spilled water on me. She gave me dry cleaning vouchers. I neither needed them or used them. Should I now sue them????
fotographer and Dr. HFH like this.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Aug 5, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:22 pm

Had an in flight entertainment issue on my LHR-YVR flight last week. The part of headphone's jack had previously broken off inside the socket, so no audio. This was in an op-up W seat after booking Y. Didn't make a fuss but just asked if there was anything that could be done. After the meal service a member of the cabin crew tried his very best (more than I would ever expect) to get the jack out. No luck. He gave me a form to fill in for service recovery. Five minutes later he came back to offer me a club seat downstairs for the rest of the flight.

I don't feel it was necessary to offer me the seat downstairs, nor was it what I was after, but really happy.
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.