FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pay As You Feel - The future of buy on board? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1923575-pay-you-feel-future-buy-board.html)

icegirl Aug 5, 2018 7:08 am

Pay As You Feel - The future of buy on board?

I see Alex Cruz has retweeted a post by Adam Smith who represents @RealjunkFood. Where he along with Gate Gourmet met with others at LHR to discuss issues on tackling avoidable surplus food.

https://therealjunkfoodproject.org/

Ancient Observer Aug 5, 2018 7:18 am

Unless you are in F, or are lucky in J, BA already serves Junk Food. They have a commitment to reducing costs, and Junk Food. What's new?

NWIFlyer Aug 5, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer (Post 30049489)
Unless you are in F, or are lucky in J, BA already serves Junk Food. They have a commitment to reducing costs, and Junk Food. What's new?

If nothing else, this is a major misrepresentation of the aims of the Junk Food Project.

It's also, imho, an unfair criticism of BA food in Premium cabins (and, from what I hear but haven't experienced, Y on long haul). I have never felt hungry or dissatisfied by a meal in BA J. In contrast, the only time I've sent a meal back was in TG F, where what I was served was simply inedible.

JALlover Aug 5, 2018 7:46 am

And surplus food? Just ask those that travel in ET and how many are refused food as there aren't any left!

lost_in_translation Aug 5, 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 30049552)
I have never felt hungry or dissatisfied by a meal in BA J.

Ha. I can only assume either i) you've taken no Medium Band Club Europe flights since the catering changes, ii) you have an exceptionally small stomach or iii) this is a lie.

simons1 Aug 5, 2018 8:13 am

Interesting see Alex Cruz engaging with the Real Junk Food Project. An interesting and worthy concept. I suspect that the arrival of BoB has cut wasteage on SH somewhat, however perhaps there are other ways that BA might be able to engage. Surplus food in lounges for example, or maybe from long haul routes? Plus of course the twitter item refers to Gate Gourmet who perhaps can engage other airlines.

NWIFlyer Aug 5, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 30049581)
Ha. I can only assume either i) you've taken no Medium Band Club Europe flights since the catering changes, ii) you have an exceptionally small stomach or iii) this is a lie.

Yes, I have. It’s perfectly obvious my comments were not aimed at Club Europe given everything I talked about concerned long haul, and we all know there is an issue with portion sizes (but, I’d suggest, not quality which the post I responded to insinuated) on short and short-medium haul CE.

I am also not in the habit of lying.

I’d probably best not think about anything to do with stomach size :D.

ppp909 Aug 5, 2018 9:44 am

If they came down the plane with out-of-date m&s sandwiches and sold them for half price my mum would buy five. Even if she wasn't hungry.
Loves a bargain, my mum.

UKtravelbear Aug 5, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30049640)
Interesting see Alex Cruz engaging with the Real Junk Food Project. An interesting and worthy concept. I suspect that the arrival of BoB has cut wasteage on SH somewhat, however perhaps there are other ways that BA might be able to engage. Surplus food in lounges for example, or maybe from long haul routes? Plus of course the twitter item refers to Gate Gourmet who perhaps can engage other airlines.

Yes it would be for food in lounges etc. I'm sure caterers already try and reduce food waste as it eats (sorry bad pun) into their profits. Do they compost vegetable peelings for example?

I'm not sure this would cover food left over from flights due to food hygiene reasons and lack of maintenance of the cold chain.

Though surely there are things that could be done to reduce it on board such as offer jam for scones from a basket rather than put it on the tray. My understanding is that once it has been given to a passenger it can't be taken back into the food chain for use on another meal tray.

simons1 Aug 5, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30050045)
Yes it would be for food in lounges etc. I'm sure caterers already try and reduce food waste as it eats (sorry bad pun) into their profits. Do they compost vegetable peelings for example?

I'm not sure this would cover food left over from flights due to food hygiene reasons and lack of maintenance of the cold chain.

Though surely there are things that could be done to reduce it on board such as offer jam for scones from a basket rather than put it on the tray. My understanding is that once it has been given to a passenger it can't be taken back into the food chain for use on another meal tray.

I would have thought there were things that were sealed that could be used - bread rolls for example? Trouble is there is a catch 22, wrap the rolls and it is plastic, don't wrap them and they don't last.

From the lounges it is easier to control the hygiene I'm sure.

UKtravelbear Aug 5, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm just going on what crew have said previously that once it has been handed over to a passenger it can't be reused - even if in a sealed packet.

And yes it'a a balance we complain about plastic but then complain about waste.

I'm sure there was a discussion recently about why marmite in the lounge was in individual plastic pots rather than a less wasteful jar. Well one look at a jar of jam in one lounge with it dribbled down the side reaffirmed my view that the pots are more hygenic.

TWCLAM Aug 5, 2018 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30050330)
I'm sure there was a discussion recently about why marmite in the lounge was in individual plastic pots rather than a less wasteful jar

Wait there's marmite in the lounge, how have I not found this, another chance to annoy Mrs Clam with it's usage within 1000ft of her person. I'll be sure to go on a proper hunt for this on Wednesday.

clarkeysntfc Aug 6, 2018 1:51 am

It's not just food that is wasted, I'd imagine that BA must waste hundreds of tonnes of single-use plastics each year. Just think how many plastics are in the on board amenity kits, wrapping for headphones etc.

jfallesen Aug 6, 2018 2:21 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM (Post 30051868)
Wait there's marmite in the lounge, how have I not found this, another chance to annoy Mrs Clam with it's usage within 1000ft of her person. I'll be sure to go on a proper hunt for this on Wednesday.

You may have to ask for it but you should then be able to get some.

TWCLAM Aug 6, 2018 5:29 am

Thanks jfallesen i'll be int lounge approx 90 mins before her as she will be working the night before so should give them plenty of time to source it so that I can tuck into a couple rounds of toast & marmite as she walks through the doors.