Search

Lounge guesting with child

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Lounge guesting with child

Hi all,

Ba silver flying lhr to dxb in WTP on the evening of the 14th. My gf and her 7 year old son are travelling with me. Gf is only up to bronze status at the moment, so I’m going to have to rely on the mood and generosity of the lounge attendants in this instance. He’s a good kid and will merely sit there playing his Nintendo switch with a packet of crisps! But we’d like to go in and relax together.

I know the guest policy but am asking will I really struggle with access? If I get rejected at one should I then try another? What are the chances?

Cheers
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No one can answer this without being mystic meg!
PAL62V likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:55 am

I’ve always been let into GF with my wife and 2 year old.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:09 am

A 2 year old is fine as an extra guest, a 7 year old is not. I would rate the chances as very low.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
By my calculations you have a 51.23% chance of being allowed into one of the three lounges you can access, and a 17.38% chance of an op up to the next cabin (as that's usually of interest too).
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In my experience, your chances are very slim. This is especially the case during school holidays. I wouldn't raise their hopes.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GOLD
I agree with TedToToe - school holidays in the UK can be very busy and Suitenand Booted stated he knows the rules so a refusal should not come as a surprise. Please let us know what happens.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:18 am

Not so sure about those replies. Bit different situation but I was allowed to take 7 year old son and wife (they are both Silver) into GF not once but 3 times. I went into GF with my son while my wife was shopping. Wife then went to the desk after shopping and I and my son went there from inside GF to meet her. We were fully prepared to move to the business class lounge and I did not even ask to let her in as my 2nd guest but in all cases lounge attendents offered it pro-actively. Same thing a few times with CX lounges in HKG and LHR T3.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that your chances of being allowed are very slim.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:48 am

Please let us know how you got on. Hope you enjoy yourselves whatever the outcome.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
yes let us know then I might get both my children (33 and 31) in to the F lounge
John
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to elaborate on my earlier reply. I have been silver for the last 5 years whilst my wife and daughter have been blue. When my daughter was 3 or 4, it was relatively easy to get into the lounge when travelling in Y, especially as my daughter was pre-school age and most of our european city breaks were outside the school holidays. Once my daughter was 5, and we became more bound by school holidays, the ability to access the lounge suddenly changed. Having done 'the walk of shame' twice, we have not been inclined to try again since! Though, I would welcome feedback if the OP is successful.

Wind forward to 2018 and an 8 year old Miss T, who (by a quirk of her membership year) has beaten her mother to bronze, my challenge is to get one or both of them to silver. Now, enter the household TP Run discussion; but that's another story!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
Not so sure about those replies. Bit different situation but I was allowed to take 7 year old son and wife (they are both Silver) into GF not once but 3 times. I went into GF with my son while my wife was shopping. Wife then went to the desk after shopping and I and my son went there from inside GF to meet her. We were fully prepared to move to the business class lounge and I did not even ask to let her in as my 2nd guest but in all cases lounge attendents offered it pro-actively. Same thing a few times with CX lounges in HKG and LHR T3.
Well my son is 6 and both he and my wife are Silver. Since he was about 4 I've never been able to guest both of them into either GF or the CX F section at T3, asked politely several times and always met with an equally polite refusal.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
If its any consolation, I tried to politely guest both of my parents into the T5 lounge once, and was met with a polite refusal :-)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:00 am

I wonder if BA have ever considered a policy of allowing guesting of family members on same itinerary for a nominal fee. Clearly we don’t want the lounge full of stag parties but the odd extra relative wouldn’t be an issue and would generate revenue for the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.