Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 or 747?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I’ve just flown on an AA772 with the BE zodiac seats and was very disappointed. The foot locker was claustrophobia and in the bed mode there were ridges especially at the shoulder where the headrest meets the backrest. There was very little privacy and the crew were pleasant but bland more cafe than restaurant. Give me UD window seat with BA crew every time.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ChrL
Do these options involve connections? I can only see an AA 757 doing JFK->DUB and no BA flights.

If you are going via LHR then the AA flight will have wifi, USB sockets, live TV and aisle access with a little more desk/meal space than a BA 747. The 747 UD has the smaller, 20 person cabin.

Yes, it’s via LHR. Most others seem to think that AA are running older aircraft on this route.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The AA flights JFK-LHR will arrive at T3 and will involve a bus transfer to T5 for the Dublin flights ( that said if on BA you are still likely to need to use the train from the B/C gates ( likely arrival point of the flight from JFK ) to the A gates for the Dub flight.

Regards

tBS
Thanks for the tip - glad now that I opted for BA!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you were just traveling to London, then I can understand the BA vs. AA tradeoff discussion... assuming you don't care about Wifi which BA has yet to hear of.
Assuming prices are comparable, why would you consider a connection at awful LHR when your destination is DUB? AA's JFK-DUB 757 nonstop is perfect fine in J, especially with a flight time of just over 6 hours.
Let's be realistic, neither airline is very good so the less time spend on either would get my vote.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
If I was using miles for F, would AA be good Mia-LHR, to be able to use the AA First Class Lounge: then fly back on on BA, to use the Concord Lounge?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
If I was using miles for F, would AA be good Mia-LHR, to be able to use the AA First Class Lounge: then fly back on on BA, to use the Concord Lounge?
MIA is LHR terminal 3 for both AA and BA, so BA First wouldn't get you access to the Concorde Room since it's in T5 . There are ways around this, for example if you booked a route back to the USA via somewhere like IAH or New York, or MIA-LHR on BA with a connection to somewhere from T5 (UK domestic for example), but a simple LHR-MIA is terminal 3 on both airlines. T3 has some good lounges, some here say they are better than the Concorde Room, I would disagree with this viewpoint, but there would certainly be 7 different lounge options in T3 instead.

Flagship MIA would be no problem however you arranged it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
If you were just traveling to London, then I can understand the BA vs. AA tradeoff discussion... assuming you don't care about Wifi which BA has yet to hear of.
Assuming prices are comparable, why would you consider a connection at awful LHR when your destination is DUB? AA's JFK-DUB 757 nonstop is perfect fine in J, especially with a flight time of just over 6 hours.
Let's be realistic, neither airline is very good so the less time spend on either would get my vote.
True and makes good sense - but I wanted to get the earliest flight I could. Unless my memory is letting me down (again) I think that the direct flight goes out much later - plus I get some extra TP’s! Also - as you correctly surmise, I don’t care about wi fi when flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.