Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is this what I should expect? [No assistance when connecting AA->BA at ORD]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this what I should expect? [No assistance when connecting AA->BA at ORD]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the advice, mgcahat. The shuttle stops at 8.30. I had no hope in hindsight.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:52 am

If you had asked AA to fix you, they would likely have put you on their day flight over to LHR. In fairness I don't really see how it should be BA's problem to sort you out when you're in AA's care and it's AA who's causing you the problem.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would also point out that flying AA would also preclude you from EC261 protections in this scenario.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would also point out that flying AA would also preclude you from EC261 protections in this scenario.
To be slightly more precise, I think EC261 would attach anytime you are flying on BA metal, regardless of the marketing or ticketing carrier. (Correct?)

However, there are a variety of reasons why you might choose one carrier over another (price, availability, customer service, seats, elite benefits, Avios earning, EC261, etc.). Only you can work out the “right choice” for you in any scenario. But, I would caution against making a rash judgment based on a single incident.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Confus
If you had asked AA to fix you, they would likely have put you on their day flight over to LHR. In fairness I don't really see how it should be BA's problem to sort you out when you're in AA's care and it's AA who's causing you the problem.
While you are correct as to who might be responsible, for me it is path of least resistance sometimes. If there had been a BA agent at the gate in the OP's I definitely would have started there.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
...was the BA shuttle still taking people over to terminal 5? I thought it it stopped running so many minutes before departure and gave you just enough time to make the flight. Surprised it was available unless I had always been told wrong or something changed.
The shuttle is not operated by BA anymore but by ORD.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the further information folks. CWS, you saved me a lot of research. Funnily enough, I already have an EC261 claim open on this booking because my outbound flight on BA to MIA was delayed 5 hours due to a technical fault with the flight. Shame I can't make that two ;-)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
While you are correct as to who might be responsible, for me it is path of least resistance sometimes. If there had been a BA agent at the gate in the OP's I definitely would have started there.
But the OP arrived at AA's terminal where there are AA lounges and re-booking desks. Given that it was AA's fault it was AA's issue to fix. If it was a BA ticket I can see how AA would have sent the OP to BA to fix this, but I would have first tried to get help from AA before proceeding to another terminal. It was less likely to find BA staff hanging around after the last flight has departed from an outstation than for AA to have stuff available to assist the OP.

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 6, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Hi, Andriyko. I think you missed a point. I thought I could still make the LHR flight and since there was no one at the BNA arrival gate to tell me otherwise, I rushed to the international terminal only to find I was too late. If I had known I was going to miss the flight, I would have indeed made my way to the first AA desk and got things organised. You live and learn.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Just for completeness sake, here is the response I got from BA Customer Services and then subsequently AA Customer Services...to save you the read, the summary is 'tough luck and we are not paying your hotel bills but we do really really really love having you as a customer'.
---------------------

BA Response
Thanks for letting us know what happened when you flew with American Airlines from Naschville to Chicago on 02 August. I completely understand why you’re annoyed, especially as you were delayed on your outbound flight as well.

As one of the world’s leading airlines and a member of the oneworld alliance, we’re committed to offering our customers great customer service. We're very grateful you've taken the time to tell us your thoughts about your flight to Chicago.

American Airlines are best placed to look into and respond to the problems you’ve told us about. I’ve sent them a copy of your email, and they’ll be in touch with you shortly. In the meantime, if you would like to write to them, here are their details:

AA Response
I received your email from our oneworld partner, British Airways.

From reading your email, it's clear that you did not have the best experience traveling with us. I know how frustrating it can be to have a delayed flight. I'm sorry that our staff were not available, and that we delivered anything less than a wonderful experience traveling with American. One of my responsibilities is to take customer feedback such as yours and record it in our system. That information is then made available to all of our leaders and helps to drive change. By contacting us, you've given us the chance to improve -- thank you.

While I am sorry for the issues you encountered, I must respectfully decline your request for a reimbursement of your hotel. I am sorry. Our records indicate flight AA3529 was delayed due to Air Traffic Control.

Thanks for writing us. I hope you'll give us the chance to do a better job the next time you travel with American Airlines.

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mjack99
While I am sorry for the issues you encountered, I must respectfully decline your request for a reimbursement of your hotel. I am sorry. Our records indicate flight AA3529 was delayed due to Air Traffic Control.

Thanks for writing us. I hope you'll give us the chance to do a better job the next time you travel with American Airlines.
Yikes. But unfortunately legal. EC261 doesn't help you here, which it would on the direct BNA-LHR service.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mjack99
Just for completeness sake, here is the response I got from BA Customer Services and then subsequently AA Customer Services...to save you the read, the summary is 'tough luck and we are not paying your hotel bills but we do really really really love having you as a customer'.
---------------------

BA Response
Thanks for letting us know what happened when you flew with American Airlines from Naschville to Chicago on 02 August. I completely understand why you’re annoyed, especially as you were delayed on your outbound flight as well.

As one of the world’s leading airlines and a member of the oneworld alliance, we’re committed to offering our customers great customer service. We're very grateful you've taken the time to tell us your thoughts about your flight to Chicago.

American Airlines are best placed to look into and respond to the problems you’ve told us about. I’ve sent them a copy of your email, and they’ll be in touch with you shortly. In the meantime, if you would like to write to them, here are their details:

AA Response
I received your email from our oneworld partner, British Airways.

From reading your email, it's clear that you did not have the best experience traveling with us. I know how frustrating it can be to have a delayed flight. I'm sorry that our staff were not available, and that we delivered anything less than a wonderful experience traveling with American. One of my responsibilities is to take customer feedback such as yours and record it in our system. That information is then made available to all of our leaders and helps to drive change. By contacting us, you've given us the chance to improve -- thank you.

Both responses are correct.

1. For over 60 years, it has been the responsibility of the carrier causing a misconnect to rebook the passenger. That is AA, not BA. While there is no prohibition against BA handling the rebooking, there is no reason for it to leave agents hanging around at the departure gate or elsewhere against the possibility that someone might turn up who is the responsibility of another carrier. It would have been better if BA's response to you was more direct (perhaps sounding less pleasant, but nonetheless with more information) had BA made this very clear rather than speaking of which carrier is "better suited".

2. AA does not provide hotel rooms unless the cause of the delay is directly within its control, e.g. mechanical. Even in that case, AA will either offer or you must seek a voucher. Only if advised to obtain a room on your own and be reimbursed will AA do so (and one would be well advised to assure that the PNR notes are updated by the agent so advising to reflect this). This would seem to be a simple claim against your travel interruption insurance.

Unlike BA, AA's assistance is not segmented by job function. While a GA boarding another flight will not stop to assist you, any agent at any counter could in practice have assisted you: another gate, Flagship, Admirals Club, special assistance, counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.