Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First First Strategy [Upgrade methods from Y award]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hello All,

I just wanted to get some of the forum experts thoughts on a strategy I'm trying to do my first First with BA.

I am BAEC Gold, and I will be travelling on BA048 (SEA-LHR) on October 1st. I booked a one way avios redemption ticket in economy, as the cost of the ticket made far too much economical sense to turn down. The aim is to upgrade to First at the airport, whatever it takes cash wise, since I spent basically nothing on the original ticket...

What do you think the chances of availability is in F on the day, and how much do you think it will cost?
Am I stupid for aiming for this?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by TheCircusPilot
Hello All,

I just wanted to get some of the forum experts thoughts on a strategy I'm trying to do my first First with BA.

I am BAEC Gold, and I will be travelling on BA048 (SEA-LHR) on October 1st. I booked a one way avios redemption ticket in economy, as the cost of the ticket made far too much economical sense to turn down. The aim is to upgrade to First at the airport, whatever it takes cash wise, since I spent basically nothing on the original ticket...

What do you think the chances of availability is in F on the day, and how much do you think it will cost?

If it is offered - and that is a big if - you'd be upgrading WT-WTP at about £300, then another upgrade WTP-CW at between £500-750, then another upgrade CW-F at about £500-750.
Alternatively you might check for Avios availability between now and the flight - would be £35 change fee + difference in Avios.

Good luck!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:39 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
You'd be cheaper buying the ticket outright in F, and back in Y.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Hello All,

Unless avios availability opens up it will be close to astronomical to upgrade to F at airport with cash
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t think this tactic is going to work out in your favour...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:00 am

I'm curious about getting a Y redemption for 'practically nothing'. Normally that's about the worse use of Avios with TFC close to cash fares. So how does that work out?

I also wonder if you'd be able to AUP so many levels - does BA impose a limit? I know you can get offered WT to CW so maybe you can also do WT to F.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You say that “the aim is to upgrade to First at the airport, whatever it takes cash wise .......... “

That being the case, you might want to check your credit card limit and prepare yourself for the real possibility of that cash figure being in the order of around USD 11,000 (yes, eleven thousand) ; which seems to be the current level for a one-way SEA-LHR in F on your October date.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
You say that “the aim is to upgrade to First at the airport, whatever it takes cash wise .......... “

That being the case, you might want to check your credit card limit and prepare yourself for the real possibility of that cash figure being in the order of around USD 11,000 (yes, eleven thousand) ; which seems to be the current level for a one-way SEA-LHR in F on your October date.
Is it not the case that AUP costs are fixed much like POUGs and not based on fare bucket? Genuine question as I've got no experience with one way fares
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm curious about getting a Y redemption for 'practically nothing'. Normally that's about the worse use of Avios with TFC close to cash fares. So how does that work out?
Indeed, especially from the US, although if the comparison is with the silly cost of one-way legacy cash tickets then it looks better.

HKG and Brazil are the exceptions due to YQ laws.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
Is it not the case that AUP costs are fixed much like POUGs and not based on fare bucket? Genuine question as I've got no experience with one way fares
But I don’t see this as falling into any sort of conventional AUP cost.

The starting point is an Avios redemption in Y which the OP is looking to convert to a revenue ticket in F (whilst jumping a couple of classes along the way .....).

I might be proven wrong but would be surprised if this could be done for anything less than several thousand dollars.

Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:48 am

But you can't convert an Avios ticket to a cash ticket. As I see it, there are essentially three options if starting with a Y Avios ticket:
  1. You can AUP it subject to availability
  2. You can abandon it and buy a cash ticket (or cancel if > 24hr out)
  3. You can change (or cancel/rebook) into F if there's redemption availability.
I think OP is thinking of option 1 since they mention upgrading at the airport but clarification would be good.

I agree that option 2 is likely to be prohibitive. I wouldn't see option 1 as good value either, but others might.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I guess I wasn't too clear, apologies.

I am looking at AUP only, as I know thats pretty much the only way to jump fare classes easily, plus is generally cheaper than any other way of upgrading in my experience.
And for the curious ones, the ticket was around 14k Avios & around $150 in taxes.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this to see if anyone else has some insight...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:54 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Bumping this to see if anyone else has some insight...
You're in unknown territory. I don't know anyone who has AUP'd across 3 cabins from W to F on a redemption. I suspect others here haven't either. You will just have to wait and see on the day.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by travelwithross
You're in unknown territory. I don't know anyone who has AUP'd across 3 cabins from W to F on a redemption. I suspect others here haven't either. You will just have to wait and see on the day.
Am I missing something or is this just a simple case of rebooking in F if/when reward availability appears? The underlying ticket is redemption so AUP doesn't apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.