Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just became Gold for Life; where should I accumulate miles/points now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just became Gold for Life; where should I accumulate miles/points now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Why not just enjoy the status you have earned?
Some people are really into the miles and status game. So much that for some people it gives them a sense of purpose.
(I am saying this in the nicest possible way)

If they have reached Gold for life, then they only get satisfaction for a short time, and then start to wonder “What now?”
IAN-UK, HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Credit to the new program, show the AA EXP card to gain lounge access, fast track, priority boarding, etc. ?

---

A third top tier with another oneworld airline seems excessive to be honest. With the exception of potential accumulating miles in a more rewarding programme, you won't get much out of it. Achieving top tier with an airline belonging to a different alliance (provided you fly them enough) will yield more benefits.
Agree that having 3 top tier status in the same alliance is a bit over the top. Two are usually enough to cover all of the benefits.

Why not just enjoy the status you have earned? Relax that you never have to worry about it any more. I just don't get why anyone would immediately switch to a Star programme in this scenario. And going after status in another OW carrier seems a bit cracked to me.
I guess it allows OP the flexibility to choose different airlines when prices for OW airlines are high, still getting similar benefit, but with a lower cost in the long run if OP needs to switch to SA airlines.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by shawbridge
Gig103, I hadn't really thought about Star or Skyteam until JClassTraveller's post.

When I switched from using AAdvantage to Avios/Tier Points, I still used my miles. I wonder if there is an additional OW program that would provide some benefit. Then I could continue to benefit from the Gold for Life by showing my BAEC Gold card. With AA, I would get system-wide upgrades if I were to fly enough to get AA EXP instead of BA Gold. Does another OW program offer something worthwhile?
Well, the answer is really do you fly with any other OW airline frequently? CX and QF are both seemingly slightly more generous and attentive to their own elites than other OWEs but that's not much use if you don't actually use them. Given you're US based I'd be looking to cover another alliance in some way so the last minute flights where you can't get on OW at a reasonable price have some status too, I'd go for ST but purely a personal choice as I seem to end up doing DL domestic hops in the US a fair bit.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given the amount of flying you do I'm surprised you have to ask such a question.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Nothing to do with having attained BA Gold for Life some time ago, but while trying to avoid the dreaded SYD domestic-to-international transfers on separate tickets between QF and BA and also the lack of Wifi on BA (long haul), I ended up acquiring SQ PPS in addition to LH M&M SEN (double-dipped with PPS as I credit my miles from SQ to M&M due to better earn rate for F and higher fare J and access to LX F redemption etc.), and also A3 Gold (handy for OA domestic flights, particularly those without J) alongside BA GGL/CCR, and it strikes a good balance between programmes for me. I like the double baggage allowance with PPS in particular because SQ excess baggage charges are seriously frightening.

It doesn't bother me not having anything on Skyteam as I don't fly on them at all.

I also have QF LTG (OWS) which I don't use much but could come in use if I somehow end up flying the dreaded JQ for scheduling reasons. I maintain that account mostly from credit card spend in Australia and use the points for various things like domestic upgrade.

As for the comment about QF being more generous to their own elites than other OWE, that's not really in my experience, unfortunately. I was QF Platinum with rather high status credits before Platinum One was introduced (would have been P1 if it existed then) and also was Platinum for some time since before they annoyed me so much that I refused to buy revenue international tickets on QF, but I get treated better as a BA Gold in any case However, you do get treated better if you make it to Platinum One with QF than a normal OWE (QF OWE/non-QF OWE).

I'd actually stick to BA if you like GGL (and CCR if applicable) and only credit 'spares' that doesn't give you anything extra to another programme if you can get solid benefits like AA for domestic upgrades etc.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 4, 2018 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'd be wary of crediting to one FF programme but using AA status to get lounge access / upgrades etc as posited above thread.

I've seen reports on the AA board that AA does sometimes clamp down on that sort of thing and insists that if you want the benefits of AA then you should credit to AA
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If the OP wants a new challenge, why not open a duplicate BAEC account and go for a second Gold for Life with BA?

Sounds ridiculous? Of course it is, but it is exactly the same as starting from nothing with a different airline...

Take the double Avios and the lounge access and stop worrying too much. Status match to something else if you hear about a good match on offer.
nancypants and groenroos like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go for a different alliance.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve always maintained at least dual status across OW and Star (and VS for some years too). Being slavishly loyal to just one FFP/alliance seems unwise as they have all areas/airlines/cabins that are strong and weak (even Scaryteam).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm largely sticking to OW, though I am having a hard time using my Avios -- tried on several trips to Europe. Also having a hard time using some of the free upgrades I get. I was trying recently to use my Avios for a BOS-VCE trip, possibly on AA or Iberia. My assistant couldn't do it. I wonder if CX is easier. I have begun using JetBlue a lot in the US (from BOS to DC, NY, SFO a lot, Charleston, ...), which is very nice except for the lack of lounges and by virtue of a couple of clients, have been accumulating Star mileage but will not try to hit elite status there.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
What I don't understand is - if you start on a new program, aside from the lounge (showing a membership card for BAEC) how do you reap the benefits of what's already earned?
Exactly - i just dont get this mentality. You get GFL and you enjoy it!

If you dont enjoy what you have got they you were pretty foolish for bothering with it in the first place. 10-15 years of progress before you thought.. "hang on a minute?!"

I understand about Avios use - but you just need a bit of flex. Much better value to use them domestically in US anyway.
gorps1 likes this.

Last edited by ukgooner; Mar 15, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Use it or lose it, stranger things have happened ?

Originally Posted by Gig103
What I don't understand is - if you start on a new program, aside from the lounge (showing a membership card for BAEC) how do you reap the benefits of what's already earned?
Just a thought. If everyone who reached GFL then took their busines elsewhere, wouldn't BA realise that GFL is actually losing them revenue and withdraw the scheme (except for those who already have it of course, phew).
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by 'andad; Mar 15, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: "scheme" was missing
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I understand about Avios use - but you just need a bit of flex. Much better value to use them domestically in US anyway.
I'm short of Avios rather a lot, which means I've not had trouble using them, and I have not flown in the US for years now. I tend to use them on JL and occasionally QF flights.

I used a Joker for the first time in ages (I must have let at least 10 Jokers expire, probably more) which means I didn't even need to use a Joker to spend my Avios.

I tend to think the use of Avios is much easier for solo bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.