Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it the law? [Talking loudly on mobiles in lounges]

Is it the law? [Talking loudly on mobiles in lounges]

Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I do find the finger to the lips in the 'shhhh' position works in most cases.
I find the middle finger to the lips is even more effective.
cruisr, wrp96 and TPRun like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was on the bus back last night after a day in Buenos Aires. Everyone on board was using their mobile phones either talking business or with friends and family...some for the whole three hour journey. Nobody in this country seems to care about others using their mobiles as they're far too busy doing it themselves. I just went to sleep.
How many years in Argentina does it take to go from British to normal?
cruisr and HIDDY like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:55 am

I usually give elderly people a "pass." My father is 73 and is in his own little world when he yell talks on his phone. We have to constantly remind him hey keep it down. When he gets off the phone he's asks, was I talking loud. Yes, yes you were. We usually get a few chuckles from people around us. BTW this is never in an enclosed space. We would never allow that.
1flyer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueboys999

And you’re OK that she has so many people reporting your whereabouts?
I agree I am getting hot he weather this year has affected me, first the long cold winter and now the heat

As for my wife, I know my place..
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCIdave
BTW this is never in an enclosed space. We would never allow that.
Don't be so hush on your own dad. You can not forbid your own dad not to do anything he wants. Would you like your son to tell you that dad I would not allow you to fly any more?

Allow would never seems to be appropriate when you talk about your own dad. Maybe just the wrong words here? Especially 73 is the new 63. And elderly deserve respect, at least in normal circumstances.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Is it the law that you have to be on your phone in the galleries lounge at T5? Just curious because near everyone is barking into their phone. And it's heaving to boot. Thoroughly unpleasant. I miss Japan 😞
Erm... it's a business class lounge. Lots of people, paying good money to fly BA, quite rightly use their lounge time to carry out their business so they are productive whilst waiting for their flight. That often involves making a telephone call. You always have the option to go elsewhere in T5 if you don't like it in there. Or Japan.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

My favorite was the business dude in the airport lounge who decided "holistic" was going to be his buzzword of the day. Talking very loudly on the phone, obviously talking about some re-org that just happened. These were all direct quotes because I was texting a friend every time he said holistic.

"I put together a holistic team..."
"We've taken a holistic approach to the budget"
"Greg, Greg, Let me give you the holistic view of the changes.."
"Greg, that's a great perspective but let me give you the holistic perspective"

I told my friend if he said it again I was going to give him a holistic slap.

Phone talkers don't bother me as much as people who play video games or watch videos or music on their mobile device without headphones.
origin, wrp96, Calum and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Erm... it's a business class lounge. Lots of people, paying good money to fly BA, quite rightly use their lounge time to carry out their business so they are productive whilst waiting for their flight. That often involves making a telephone call. You always have the option to go elsewhere in T5 if you don't like it in there. Or Japan.
Actually, no, it's a business class lounge. Presumably it's fine for me to also register the address of a small business as British Airways Galleries Club Lounge, Terminal 5, Heathrow Airport then given the purpose of the lounge is clearly business.

Would it also be OK to conduct my business in the CCR or is that unacceptable given it's not a business class lounge?
NoY, GLA and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
And you always have the option to not be inconsiderate to other people and find a quiet corner for a call and not walk around. It's really not that difficult. No-one expects a lounge to be a haven of peace and tranquillity, except for BA marketing copywriters, but a little thoughtfulness goes a long way. Anyway as has been mentioned, broadcasting your business isn't a great idea.
Silver Fox and subject2load like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
[QUOTE. I did once have to say I was in a lounge because our head of compliance was worried when I said I was at "the airport" that I was out with my laptop and discussing confidential details in the public setting of the main terminal.[/QUOTE]

Being in the lounge makes it OK?

Interesting.
GLA and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:24 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
[QUOTE. I did once have to say I was in a lounge because our head of compliance was worried when I said I was at "the airport" that I was out with my laptop and discussing confidential details in the public setting of the main terminal.
Being in the lounge makes it OK?

Interesting.[/QUOTE]

My thought exactly!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Actually, no, it's a business class lounge. Presumably it's fine for me to also register the address of a small business as British Airways Galleries Club Lounge, Terminal 5, Heathrow Airport then given the purpose of the lounge is clearly business.

Would it also be OK to conduct my business in the CCR or is that unacceptable given it's not a business class lounge?
I suspect you’d have trouble collecting your mail.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Subsection two of the law says that you have to sprawl out over two seats, with bags, dirty plates and other paraphernalia covering another two seats. Thus taking up four seats. Because you're worth it.

Actually, the last sentence is just the spirit of the law.
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Sadly, in today's world inconsiderate and selfish is the new norm. And I hate it. There is zero respect for others, be that by people playing video-games out loud, putting music on speaker, having Facetime calls on speaker...

I once asked (very politely, I may add) a "gentleman" in the Aspire Lounge at MAN T1, who was sitting with his wife blasting out music from his phone, if he would be so kind as to as to respect the sign right in front of him saying "QUIET ZONE". The amount of profanities and threats to beat me to the ground resulting from that are not suitable to put in writing. At one point I was fearing that he would throw my fresh cup of coffee in my face after he walked to my table to hurl more profanities at me not once, not twice but separate three times over the following 15 mins! Pretty stupid if you ask me, given the amount of CCTV cameras there are in an airport!

I wanted to have asked to call the police because of him threatening physical violence - but I figured by doing that, he would not be the only one missing his flight, but so would I. And I did not feel like waiting seven more hours in that dump (SK only had 3 daily to MAN, and next one was not until late afternoon). So I settled for secretly hoping that he would be on my flight, as then I would have made sure that the captain would be informed, and could make his decision accordingly - but sadly they were not.

People these days.......
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:54 pm

this is what's needed

stop being disturbed

Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.