Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it the law? [Talking loudly on mobiles in lounges]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

Is it the law that you have to be on your phone in the galleries lounge at T5? Just curious because near everyone is barking into their phone. And it's heaving to boot. Thoroughly unpleasant. I miss Japan 😞
David_Doyle, cruisr, kaka and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Yes.

Also have to a) go on facetime with no headphones or b) walk around discussing urgent business deals with headphones in but making sure to swerve in and out of the seating area so the little people can really get a full sense of just how urgent this business deal is. For extra bonus points, hold Mac in one hand whilst walking.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by TPRun
Yes.

Also have to a) go on facetime with no headphones or b) walk around discussing urgent business deals with headphones in but making sure to swerve in and out of the seating area so the little people can really get a full sense of just how urgent this business deal is. For extra bonus points, hold Mac in one hand whilst walking.
Thats why they are called mobile phones. They only work when you are moving.
cruisr, mrow, LTN Phobia and 5 others like this.

Last edited by anyuser; Aug 2, 2018 at 10:29 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:16 am

Yes.

Also bonus points, you have to really hammer down how big the deal is.

More bonus points to the people that get on the aircraft and feel a need to phone their entire extended family to let them know ‘I’m on the plane’.
cruisr, MajorVoid, TPRun and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Calum

Also bonus points, you have to really hammer down how big the deal is.

More bonus points to the people that get on the aircraft and feel a need to phone their entire extended family to let them know ‘I’m on the plane’.
What about the ones who have to make themselves feel important by calling their colleague and then saying "I can't talk right now, I'm on a plane!"

A few weeks ago I actually had to do that: Had an "urgent" client request, so I phoned a colleague to prep an email I would forward.....then we were getting close to phone-off time so I used that line. I wanted to throw something at myself
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Is it the law that you have to be on your phone in the galleries lounge at T5? Just curious because near everyone is barking into their phone. And it's heaving to boot. Thoroughly unpleasant. I miss Japan 😞
Our friends at the Exec Club were evidently worried that the lounges might be a tad quiet and under-used during the peak summer season, so decided it would be a good idea to fill ‘em up by allowing lots and lots of extra guests.

Clearly, the cunning plan is working well .......
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to pretend to be really important you need to shout into your phone and everyone will know that you are the main man.

One of the UK's little crooks, back in the day, use to get the telephone exchange to call him back to check his line during meetings so he could look important.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Extra d-baggery points if they mention specifically that it's a "VIP lounge" or "first class lounge". Double points if they call it the "British Air VIP First Class lounge".

I'll concede I have dialled into and made conference calls or made work calls from lounges before. Just I find a quiet corner, plug my headphones into the phone and then hold the microphone up to my mouth and talk quietly. I did once have to say I was in a lounge because our head of compliance was worried when I said I was at "the airport" that I was out with my laptop and discussing confidential details in the public setting of the main terminal.
cruisr, wrp96 and Calum like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the ones who have to make themselves feel important by calling their colleague and then saying "I can't talk right now, I'm on a plane!"

A few weeks ago I actually had to do that: Had an "urgent" client request, so I phoned a colleague to prep an email I would forward.....then we were getting close to phone-off time so I used that line. I wanted to throw something at myself
My wife complains all the time about people phoning home saying I am on the train.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by origin
My wife complains all the time about people phoning home saying I am on the train.
Train phonecallers are the worst kind of culprit for me. Nobody wants to hear it, especially not on a packed commuter train after a long ol' day at work!
cruisr, origin, florens and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I was on the bus back last night after a day in Buenos Aires. Everyone on board was using their mobile phones either talking business or with friends and family...some for the whole three hour journey. Nobody in this country seems to care about others using their mobiles as they're far too busy doing it themselves. I just went to sleep.
mike&co likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by origin
And you’re OK that she has so many people reporting your whereabouts?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999

And you’re OK that she has so many people reporting your whereabouts?
cruisr and origin like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes.

Extra bonus points for wearing chinos and an "under armour" polo shirt.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Last time I was in GF I did ask a walker and talker to 'moderate his volume' and to be fare he did and then came over apologised once his call was finished.

He did say he didn't want to disturb the people he was with so I responded 'so it's ok to disturb everyone else?' to which he looked a little shame faced.

I do find the finger to the lips in the 'shhhh' position works in most cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.