Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs Amex (and a £2k fare difference! )

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
AA vs Amex (and a £2k fare difference! )

I am flying to SYD (WT+) June 2019 going via LAX. (I know it takes longer going this way, but I’ve flown to Oz numerous times via SIN & HKG on BA & CX and for a change I want to fly AA over the Pacific and to experience and compare AA’s WT+ offering to BA’s).
My preferred routing is a one stop LHR-LAX-SYD. AA on its website is pricing this at £3573. However, AA is also quoting a number of 2 stop itineraries e.g. LHR-DFW-LAX-SYD at just £1537.
Interestingly, American Express Travel is quoting my preferred 1 stop routing LHR-LAX-SYD at £1536.
What to do?
I do prefer booking direct with AA and the ticket is somewhat flexible and I could fly both BA & AA but comes with that extra stop/connection.
Any wisdom FTers can offer in helping me make my choice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can't comment on the price delta, although it's doesn't look right.

What I would say from experience on flying the pacific route to Oz - its very boring if you like to look out of the window. You basically have 14hrs of blue ocean.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Can't comment on the price delta, although it's doesn't look right.
I wondered about the price too and emailed American Express Travel to enquire if their prices and itinerary are live and accurate... they said "yes" but then they would said that I suppose

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 2, 2018 at 4:14 am Reason: Repair quotation
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is this your dime or your employers travel policy? I'd chuck another £500 and go in J from exOSL/ARN etc - wouldn't contemplate WT+ anymore to SYD

oneworld

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...23*.GBP.216823

SQ

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...00*.GBP.197400
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Is this your dime or your employers travel policy? I'd chuck another £500 and go in J from exOSL/ARN etc - wouldn't contemplate WT+ anymore to SYD
I will be reimbursed for economy so any difference is out of my pocket.... I've done numerous trips to Oz in WT so WT+ is luxury for me
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is that a trick question? We all prefer to book direct with airlines for obvious reasons. If the exact same flights you want are available via a TA - especially a reasonably reputable one like Amex travel - for £2000 less though, just jump on it. With that sort of price difference I'm not aware of any good reason to hesitate!
obduro, ahmetdouas, Ldnn1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
My guess is that on the LHR-LAX leg, the cheapest booking class only has availability under the BA codeshare, not the AA code, making AA.com not offer it but still available for ticketing by TAs (and BA, I suppose).
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by IntVic
Any wisdom FTers can offer in helping me make my choice would be appreciated.
Book directly with AA, spend the extra £2000
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC
So you're asking for advice on saving £2000? If you don't know how to spend that amount please feel free to forward to me.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:10 pm

Have always had issues with Amex Travel, but not big enough to put me off a £2k saving!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The only day I can get anything like that price on Matrix is 5th May when it prices at GBP 1565 and that is with all four sectors booking into P class on AA. There are other days in May when it's around the GBP 1700 mark. For June the calendar function in Matrix does show GBP 3573 but when you choose - say - 1st June as your departure date it does show GBP 1692 as the actual price with everything operated by AA and booking into P class again.

If Amex are offering the LHR - LAX - SYD option for the price they are quoting and it's definitely all booking into P class then I'd be booking directly with them.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I'd trust Amex. It's not some random online travel agent, they have quite a reputation. I booked with them when they had the spend 200 GBP on Amex Travel and get 50 GBP back offer, and their customer service I found to be very good. Once the tickets are actually issued, i cannot see the airline not honouring them.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JFX1764
Have always had issues with Amex Travel, but not big enough to put me off a £2k saving!
What kind of issues?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I personally would agree with this. Having done AA, BA, CX, JL and QF in PEY, I know which one I would pick, JL wins hands down, with QF a close runner up. The new AA PEY is not anything special, and ironically I am booked on this HKG to LAX again in 4 weeks time.

Alternatively see if there are any good fares on MH in Business, often from HKG they are similar to BA/CX PEY fares, might be the same from London. Their A380 is great, though business on the A359 is definitely way better than any PEY but no way as good as the MH A380.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I book with OTAs and while it's a more of a hassle if there are changes, the price savings are worth it for me. With such a huge price delta, just make sure it all matches up and they aren't trying to sell Main Cabin Extra or something crazy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.