Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs Amex (and a £2k fare difference! )

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I've used Amex Travel many, many times for straightforward and complex itineraries and I've always found them to be excellent. WIth a saving of £2k on the table I'd be booking with Amex!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by Gig103
I book with OTAs and while it's a more of a hassle if there are changes, the price savings are worth it for me. With such a huge price delta, just make sure it all matches up and they aren't trying to sell Main Cabin Extra or something crazy!
Agree with carefully checking as recently have been finding OTA cheap business class fares which when you check further have 1 leg (normally the shortest) in Business and everything else in economy. Sometimes their fares are only $500 cheaper than the airlines website which has the trip all in business
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup

What kind of issues?
I can't speak for him, but issues I've had became problematic when I needed to change a return date. BA showed availability but amex didn't have access to that bucket. Secondly I booked it online for double MR points, but when you email them they take days to respond. If you call in, the people that answer the phone in amex travel cant change a ticket that you've booked online, 20 mins hold to speak to the 'online department'.

I'd use them again with a nice fare difference, but only on tickets where I'm 100% sure I don't need to make changes.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
To round off this topic.... yesterday, I decided to book with AmEx Travel in premium economy LHR-LAX-SYD route for £1545 as opposed to AA's quoted fare of £3500ish for the same route and flights and I when entered all the details and pressed book flights.... the screen showed an error and I couldn't book it. The fare for that route was not and maybe never available. Went back to AA and booked LHR- PHX- LAX- SYD and returning via SFO for £1545. The PHX service is new and so looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.