Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Heathrow T5 Security - Watch out !

deleted
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.

Last edited by markzz2; Aug 2, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
This reads like the kind of rubbish my aunt posts on Facebook so I would take with a pinch of salt unless it happened to you personally. There is CCTV so any theft would surely be obvious and incredibly stupid.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
simple way to avoid issues is to always put your watch or whatever valuables you have inside your bag in the security preparation area

Waiting for the beep at the scanner for stuff you know will set it off just delays everyone else.

Don't be that person* that delays everyone else.

(* FT rules prevent me from giving an accurate description of such people but it involves combinations of 4 letter words)

Clearing security is not hard if you are ready. Unfortunately a lot of people - especially frequent fliers - don't think the rules apply to them.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I had a very similar experience, but NOT at T5. Alarm went off when my son passed thru the sensor, asked my son took off his fitbit, which cost maybe $200. Went thru x-ray, but nothing came out, they stopped the machine and search for good 5 mins, nothing. End up it was, indeed, found on the floor.
I guess "the brush" pushed it down... and I would never think that's their intention to "steal" someone's watch while under CCTV. Especially, in my son's case, it's clearly NOT expensive by any means.

Another time, my wife's cell phone, which I asked the agent to help looking under the machine, again found on the floor.

Since then, I put everything into my carry on bag (if I carried one) before going to x-ray, no more lose item.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
For what it’s worth, one of the TSA agents in a PreCheck lane said that Rolexes are one kind of watch which is more likely to set off the metal detector. (And, I wasn’t wearing one; nor, do I own one.) So, based on the information from the TSA agent, I would be inclined to be less suspicious about the incidents you’ve relayed which occurred at Heathrow. It is entirely possible that the security folks were simply trying to prevent the watches from setting off the metal detector.
markzz2 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:47 pm

Found a fitbit and charging cable on the floor at T3 security withing 2 seconds last week. Stay there for an hour and you might find a rolex or ipad.
markzz2 and shefgab like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:30 pm

Well it was once known as Thiefrow...

That aside it must be one of the most heavily surveilled locations on the planet, surely nobody would be stupid enough to steal there. Having said that, my watch goes in the pocket of my carry on when i pass through security. Not worth the risk.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
For what it’s worth, one of the TSA agents in a PreCheck lane said that Rolexes are one kind of watch which is more likely to set off the metal detector........
I thought it was the DYKWIA detector that they were prone to setting off?
markzz2 and dp1586 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Indeed - had the same problem with a Ł5 belt at T5 security.

The only reason I was so keen to get it back was that my trousers were falling down.

Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Straight after check in I put wallet/watch/smartphone inside hand luggage in one go and take the plastic bag with liquids out, problem solved..
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Asking people to remove watches - especially metallic ones - is common across airports and there is frankly no reason to wait till it first sets the alarm if you know it will.

theft at security checkpoints was (and possibly still is) quite common at US airports where you didn’t use to need to show a bp to go through and can exit immediately. Two accomplices, one before and one after an expensive looking target. First one goes through (usually wearing a cap or so to hide as much as possible from cameras) smoothly but slowly. The one behind the victim has very few things to take off but goes to the security gate after the victim has emptied their first expensive possessions but before them. They set the alarm and ‘realise’ they have forgotten their belt, then their keys etc wasting as much time as possible, thereby enabling accomplice no1 to disappear with anything worthwhile amongst the victim’s possessions and disappear. Accomplice no2 then goes through and disappears (with his/her own property) before anyone realises what happened.

there were sadly lots of victims in the late 90s early 2000s but hopefully the extra checks now will have made this rarer.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:31 am

I'd be more concerned about a very expensive watch that could get damaged by putting it on a tray..
markzz2 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Great_circle
Straight after check in I put wallet/watch/smartphone inside hand luggage in one go and take the plastic bag with liquids out, problem solved..
Absolutely right! I don't know why everyone is being so sarcastic towards OP - I find the alleged incident entirely credible. If you set off the detector (which can occur as a random event) you may spend a minute or so being frisked by a security guy which is easily time enough for anyone (security or another passenger) to help themselves to any valuables that have passed through the machine and are lying in a tray. I always put wallet and watch in my carry-on and zip it closed, and would urge others to do the same.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The only place that seems to get stroppy about watches is Heathrow. I stick mine in my bag every time now.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I thought watches, like belts, had always to be removed and placed in the trays at security screening using metal detectors.

I do not have a watch, but I have a silver bracelet and a necklace that can set the alarm off, so I put them in a pocket of my bag while queuing and wear them back on as soon as I am on the other side.
Great_circle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.