Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing visa check

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
First Wing visa check

Can the two BP checkers/dragons in the First Wing do a visa check or do you have to go to a desk?

Last edited by Leaping_Deere; Aug 1, 2018 at 6:44 am Reason: silly spelling mistake
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, visa checks can be done within the First Wing, including at the entrance area to the gates. In some cases an expert may need to be paged, depending on the visa concerned.
jk156 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Thanks quick draw McCWS, fastest fingers in the CCR....
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Never even thought to do that. Although as it depends on the confluence of 1) me being gold, 2) usually going to JFK and 3) it being sufficiently busy at the other gates for it to be an issue, that I don't think it's come up lately for me. In fact I have a feeling my last JFK was pre the new First Wing, so I doubt I would have even thought of it as an option.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Went through wing, myself and father, both with visas for Russia. Just looked at by check in staff and that was it
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gav0106
Just looked at by check in staff and that was it
Was that the check-in staff at a desk? They've always been able to do that, naturally. I think the OP's question was really directed to whether one can skip that and go straight to the agents who are in effect doing the lounge entry check just before the conformance gate.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had one checked there this afternoon. Gate agent moaned they're not supposed to, as it's a desk 14 job. I moaned that the queue was six deep.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Yes sorry should have meant gate check. They just looked at it and went through
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Can anyone explain the logic of this visa check in my scenario?

At least half the time when passing through the First Wing, I am sent back to the visa check desk to have them scan my passport. I'm usually HBO...a US passport...boarding pass on my phone...and on the final leg of a trip, returning to the US.

Before the FW existed, I would always go to a visa check desk when arriving at LHR because it was more of a pain to be sent back if I didn't stop there first. Now I just take my chances.

This has never made any sense to me. They have my passport in the APIs, and the details were confirmed on the first leg of the trip. Why do I have to go to this desk?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Can anyone explain the logic of this visa check in my scenario?

At least half the time when passing through the First Wing, I am sent back to the visa check desk to have them scan my passport. I'm usually HBO...a US passport...boarding pass on my phone...and on the final leg of a trip, returning to the US.

Before the FW existed, I would always go to a visa check desk when arriving at LHR because it was more of a pain to be sent back if I didn't stop there first. Now I just take my chances.

This has never made any sense to me. They have my passport in the APIs, and the details were confirmed on the first leg of the trip. Why do I have to go to this desk?
There is a requirement for all customers travelling to the US for passports to be scanned/swiped as part of the verification at the airport. If you check in at on of the SSKs at LHR, it will be done by the machine and this is deemed acceptable as it happened at the airport. If you check-in at home, then it has to be done by an agent.

This used to cause issues prior to FLY with customers connecting onto AA at LHR, where they couldn't verify the source of the passport data that BA was sending them. Thankfully this has been resolved as a scan is required for any flight involving a connection on same PNR to the US.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
If you check in at on of the SSKs at LHR, it will be done by the machine and this is deemed acceptable as it happened at the airport. If you check-in at home, then it has to be done by an agent.
Which presumably means (since I've never tried it) that the alternative to going to visa check is to reprint the boarding pass at one of the SSKs? [I fear it just reprints without asking for a passport scan, but I don't actually know].
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Your outbound and return could potentially be a year apart.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Which presumably means (since I've never tried it) that the alternative to going to visa check is to reprint the boarding pass at one of the SSKs? [I fear it just reprints without asking for a passport scan, but I don't actually know].
I will try this next Wednesday.

I tried it once a few years back (pre-FW), and the machine did ask to scan the passport, but I still got sent to the visa check desk anyway. But, it's worth another try...thanks for the info SpeedbirdLHR.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
if this is done on the first leg of a trip, why does it have to be done again at LHR? If it has to be done at LHR, why does it have to be done on the first leg? could somebody please explain? Are the systems just not talking to each other?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Are the systems just not talking to each other?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.