Wiki Posts
Search

New Fizz?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Good - and may that continue!
I do like LPGS but p2 is a different league.

still serving the Ł10 red wines you can buy in Tesco ?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Without wishing to sound like a moaning Minnie here but as was mentioned above, some people really do need to get a grip. I am sorry if people are offended by that, but I am really fed up with the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth and general negativity. I actually think it's a good thing that BA varies its wines and champagnes from time to time, and I think it's even better that they are purchasing a British sparkling wine. Everyone's palate is different and I am sure that the new offerings will be as well received by some as they are disparaged by others. If we all liked exactly the same thing life would be pretty boring, and I am sure there would be complaints if BA never changed any of its F&B offerings. I for one will be more than happy to sample the new Champagne and sparkling wine and will reserve judgment on them until that time.
Tobias-UK and DanAirLondon like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by m3red

I do like LPGS but p2 is a different league.

still serving the Ł10 red wines you can buy in Tesco ?
I finally tried P2 not long ago and it was very good. I know many people swear by (the regular) Dom Perignon but I'll admit that it is a Champagne that I have never enjoyed myself and I believe neither does Tobias-UK so I think that is what he was referring to primarily.

For a long time, my (and many others') favourite Champagne was served by JL with Salon in F. Their J Champagne is still Delamotte which is the other Champagne from the same owners as Salon and still excellent. They have now gone "down" to Cristal which is still an exceptionally good Champagne. Cristal and Comtes de Champagne (Taittinger highest cuvee) are probably my two favourite onboard Champagne at the moment (JL, AF, QF, etc). I'd personally choose those over P2 but I only tried P2 once so would like to give it another shot. Whilst LGPS is, by any standard, a less exceptional choice than those, it is still a very pleasant Champagne.

The Charles VII is a bit of an odd choice. It was a lower end Champagne house's attempt at a prestige cuvee. It is a lot more sparkling, not unpleasant but not something I'd go out of my way for.

With all due respect for the local production, I personally share Pucci Galore's thoughts on bringing in English sparkling wine instead of an additional high end Champagne.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GavT_london
Obviously just a barometer but a [very] quick google search reveals the rough prices for each bottle.

LPGS - Ł120

First Lounges

· Canard-Duchęne Charles VII Champagne Ł33 a bottle
· Champagne Jeeper Brut Grand Rosé Ł60 a bottle

First Cabin
· Gusbourne, English Sparkling Wine Ł36
· Lanson Rosé Champagne Ł35
Club World Cabin
· Canard-Duchęne Cuvee Léonie Brut Champagne Ł26
· Champagne Besserat de Bellefon Ł23

My point about this post was the relative value of the new champagne versus LPGS - and yes i realise BA will get a hefy discount but it does seem like BA are going cheaper and cheaper...
(
to other comments i'm surprised they went for an english sparking and didnt just add a Prosecco/Cava "based on customer feedback" (i'm not knocking prosecco - i'm just saying that BA will do almost anything to save money and cheapen the experience)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Everyone's palate is different and I am sure that the new offerings will be as well received by some as they are disparaged by others.
You're absolutely right that tastes vary and any wine/drink/dish will be liked by "some" people and disliked by "some" other people. It does not follow, however, that the proportion of happy and unhappy people will always be the same!
PUCCI GALORE and Geordie405 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
That’s a shame. I quite liked the Henriot Rose.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
So no rosé in J?? But still Castelnau in GC and CE - bluegh!!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

Now that they have updated the drinks, when are they going to update the glassware in First, I wonder. Can I ask the crew to serve me with ClubWorld glassware pending such update?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GavT_london
My point about this post was the relative value of the new champagne versus LPGS - and yes i realise BA will get a hefy discount but it does seem like BA are going cheaper and cheaper...
(
to other comments i'm surprised they went for an english sparking and didnt just add a Prosecco/Cava "based on customer feedback" (i'm not knocking prosecco - i'm just saying that BA will do almost anything to save money and cheapen the experience)
They had the Camel Valley English White Champagne before introducing this new English Champagne, which alot of my friends and colleagues that sampled it said one sip was enough and went straight back to the LPGS!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is served from time to time in Flounge T3.
But who in their right mind would go there with CX F (or even J) lounge around the corner?
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
To clarify, I spoke to BA yesterday and LPGS will continue in the CCR. It was just an omission as nothing has changed. I am not keen on the Jeepers but I like the Duchene which is the same the Virgin service in UC.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You're absolutely right that tastes vary and any wine/drink/dish will be liked by "some" people and disliked by "some" other people. It does not follow, however, that the proportion of happy and unhappy people will always be the same!
You are quite right. I do however sometimes suspect that people think that paying a lot of money automatically means that the wine is good and that paying less reduces it to rubbish. I get so tired of the French thinking that anything that is produced outside the hexagon is not fit for human consumption. Frances makes some of the world's finest wines - but only some of them.
Grande Annee and cosmo74 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
From what I am reading, the Champagne is at least Champagne in Club World. For the first time it will probably be better in CW than F. Whichever idiot came up with trying to pass off English Sparkling Wine instead of a decent Champagne should be put at the door. They'll be calling it "Bubbles" next same as Aanother carrier!
Quite right ^
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
So the quarter size bottles are returning to CE??

I hope so because the champagne glasses are so small and one glass is gone in no time at all which is not good when they use the full size bottles . At least with the quarter bottles I wont have to bother the cabin crew quite as much
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
So the quarter size bottles are returning to CE?? I hope so because the champagne glasses are small that one glass is gone in no time at all which is not good when they use the full size bottles At least with the quarter bottles I wont have to bother the cabin crew q
Yes that's what has been suggested by some of the BA CC on other threads - quarter size bottles to replace the full size ones on medium and long band routes. I think it is a good move too for the same reasons.
Grande Annee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.