Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are my chances... JFK to BIO..separate tickets....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are my chances... JFK to BIO..separate tickets....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Question What are my chances... JFK to BIO..separate tickets....

So I've got a transfer from T5 to T3 (both BA)... 1 hour 50 mins....

Unfortunately tickets were booked at different times so different ticket number. Anyone with any experience if JFK are checking bags through to final destinations?

and if they aren't...what are my chances of collecting bags/changing terminal/checking in....

Advice appreciated. I assume there is no way you can call BA and try and get them to combine ticket numbers?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ba0028

Unfortunately tickets were booked at different times so different ticket number. Anyone with any experience if JFK are checking bags through to final destinations?

and if they aren't...what are my chances of collecting bags/changing terminal/checking in....

Advice appreciated. I assume there is no way you can call BA and try and get them to combine ticket numbers?

Thanks.
If you manage to through check your bags (which JFK shouldn't officially do for separate tickets, but there have been quite a few reports saying this rule is being relaxed a little), then that shouldn't be an issue. However, if you have to collect your bags and recheck, then I'd be very doubtful.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by ba0028

Thanks.
Too tight TBH , even if you're on time and your bags do get checked through I would not reccomend it. Too many variables.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Low chance on both counts
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA won't link these bookings and you won't get any extra protection.

Given BA bag drop closes at least 45 minutes before departure you have 1 hour 5 minutes (at most) to clear the UK border, wait for the bags then get to T3 using the landside route and get to the front of the bag drop queue.

Very risky IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA explicitly have a policy of not checking through bags on separate tickets - even when it is two BA tickets. I am sure you will ask at JFK but the answer may well be no and if it is I think you have no chance of making that connection.

If you do get your bag checked through you should be ok - usually from stepping off the aircraft to being in the airside departures area in T5 it takes me around 35-45 minutes,
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Hmm - thanks for advice all. Looks like it is hand luggage for me!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to add a point of information here.

I was recently flying back from IAD and connecting to a separate LUX ticket (both on avios) and not only was I through checked, I was re-accommodated on a Luxair flight from LCY when the IAD flight was delayed due to weather and I missed the LUX connection.

I definitely was not expecting it and wouldn't rely on it in future, but interesting nonetheless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.