Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help appreciated: lost passport on the OTP-PHX run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all, while in Phoenix for the OTP-PHX run my bag has been stolen including my passport. I've managed to get on my flight to LA, and have an appointment to get emergency travel documents at the British Consulate there. Overall very impressed with the systems in place and thankful my trip should be mostly unaffected!

I do have one question though... my remaining trip is LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-OTP-LHR. Anyone have any experience of whether the ETDs will allow me to do the Bucharest legs? I suspect not and will ultimately be thankful to get to LHR in the first place, but that'll be a shame as will leave me at 1450 TPs a few days before my year-end.

Appreciate any info, although I appreciate this is a fairly rare situation!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
"You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to the country you’re applying from if you live there.

"Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one."

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

I think this sounds like the Consulate will sort you out.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah I saw that and was hopeful, but was worried about the fact that my final destination is also an intermediate destination.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Sorry to hear you lost the passport, What a nightmare!

From https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

"

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, transfer and exit from Romania.

"

Not sure on the logistics of that have you checked if HEL is ok too?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I have a feeling - as you already do - that you will be stopped on your first arrival at LHR as that is your destination (both interim and ultimate) and the ETD taken from you. I

The 5 destinations is to facilitate travel home e.g. need to take multiple connecting flights from some of the less well served by flghts parts of the world.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think the Consulate are the best people to answer this really.

Otherwise it's home and a quick day return to Jersey I should think, don't need a passport for that. Sorry to hear about the theft too, hope you have enough clothes to get you through whatever travel you're allowed. Nightmare.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Of course you don't need passport to visit Romania or Finland - but I gather you don't have a national ID cards in UK do you?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Nasty theft scenario, and I hope it pans out OK.

Ajm1987, where/how was the bag stolen?

I admit my passport is either on my person or in a hotel safe/strongbox.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Of course you don't need passport to visit Romania or Finland - but I gather you don't have a national ID cards in UK do you?
no we don't
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
My handbag containing our passports was stolen in Chicago. We were given emergency travel docs by the embassy but when we entered LHR they were taken off us so we could not continue to GVA and back to LHR. They are cute documents.....
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I'm not sure you'd be allowed to leave LHR on ETD's just to come back there( admittedly transiting). Horrible situation to find yourself in at least you are safe personally.

Regarding your TP's being short I think this is a very good case for BA showing leniency as they can see you had the points covered and it clearly wasn't your own fault. Idk if they'd require you to make up those points in a fairly unique situation but confident that somebody on here could probably point you in a good direction to have that chat when you're home safe.

Update: They are super cute and nice to find some brevity in what must've been a horrible situation. I'm sure not even BA would be so mean to refuse to honour the Gold irrelevant of any published rules. You can demonstrate that you would've had the points needed if something totally out of your control hadn't of happened

Last edited by TWCLAM; Jul 31, 2018 at 10:37 am Reason: OP updated
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
*realises MrsW wasn't the OP* still hopes BA will honour the TP run for the OP
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
As you are transiting LHR enroute to OTP, no immigration officer will see your emergency passport. (my assumption)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:49 am

To be honest it would be best to check with the consulate re the TP run. The extra legs may complicate it a bit if your ultimate destination is Heathrow.

As far as TPs are concerned, BA does have a fairly standard procedure for granting a 14 day extension. So if you can't do the Bucharest legs it does give you a chance to slot in a quick TP run to make up the missing TPs. I would not bank on BA showing sympathy for something which is not under their control, so to speak.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Get the consulate to print your whole itinerary on the ETD. If you’re overnighting in London, and border force tries to retain them, ask them if you can keep them to complete your travel. If they say no, head straight to the London passport office and pay the extra to get a 1hr replacement passport, then head to Heathrow as planned the next morning.

Edit: Ah, yes, it’s 4hrs and you need your old passport to do this. Sorry!
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by armouredant; Aug 1, 2018 at 2:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.