Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help appreciated: lost passport on the OTP-PHX run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help appreciated: lost passport on the OTP-PHX run

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by simons1
I would not bank on BA showing sympathy for something which is not under their control, so to speak.
Lets hope they dont re-price the fare! that would be pretty harsh.

Also if you can be HBO on the way back, that might help if you have to leave at your first LHR visit.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:20 am

Just on the subject of 1hr passport it won't work in this case as you need your old passport for this.
ajamieson and armouredant like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
Get the consulate to print your whole itinerary on the ETD. If you’re overnighting in London, and border force tries to retain them, ask them if you can keep them to complete your travel. If they say no, head straight to the London passport office and pay the extra to get a 1hr replacement passport, then head to Heathrow as planned the next morning.
There is no such thing as a 1hr replacement. The fastest is 4 hours. For a stolen passport the best they offer is the 1 week fast track.

For the journey, the wording online is slightly ambiguous as it refers to travelling to destination through 5 countries and it depends what OP's destination is. However it also says the travel countries and dates will be printed on it so it might work. Best to ask rather than speculate on here I would say.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. I have to blame myself somewhat for the theft, pretty rooky. I took my eye off my bag for a couple of minutes while playing pool in a bar. Though I am shocked and somewhat impressed at the thief's opportunism - it really was a momentary lapse from my usual vigilance! I'd left my passport in there as I'd worried it'd fall out of my pocket. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way.

I too am hopeful that given I'm only transitting at LHR it may never be checked? Potentially just by the gate agent?

I see Cw novice has said the 1hr renewal wont work. I could try the week long passport service, and nip home and get that during the transit. If I could put the application in today that'll be Wednesday UK time hoping to have it for Saturday - probably a long shot?

Alternatively yes I will test BA's sympathy or do a domestic TP run within the 2week extension for the remaining points. I may actually end up on 1490 TPs. Currently on 1090 and have 40+140+140+80 to credit if I'm correct that HEL-LHR is 80 (AA ticketed, AY metal if that makes a difference). The reason I thought 450 was that before the trip I had 690, and MMB said 840, so losing 80 for LHR-OTP gets 1450 (positioning on RFS). Is it possible that MMB is incorrect?

Just touched down at LAX so straight to the consulate, and will try and get the whole trip on the ETD. Not quite the stroll down Venice beach I had in mind but torching my own money will have to do! Oh and I am HBO by the way.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:05 pm

The consular staff will be best placed to advise on the options for a stolen passport and replacement

In terms of renewal (although not applicable in this case) timescales the gov.uk website states the following is the quickest :

Online Premium

You get your new passport at your appointment. Appointments last up to 30 minutes.

You can use this service to renew an adult passport.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:37 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
if you have b2b at OTP, there is a transfer flow and no one will check your passport, otherwise they might refuse your entry with this emergency passport (because of lack of knowledge on how to act on such situation) or it can be everything fine if you have your ID card. just before the passport control you will see the security check for transiting pax. good luck!
dsf likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Even BA couldn't be that much a bunch of "C-word"'s surely?!?!?!?! Yes it's not their, BA's, fault but OP would have a legit claim to not having the funds ( rhetorically I imagine they may have robbed more than just passports) to do the top up run. No it's not BA's fault but in proveable cases such as this even they couldn't be that harsh surely? I appreciate this might have to travel quite far up the food chain to override but when they hold the bookings for the TP's to be earnt on their own system and OP was a victim of crime come on. Even newbies to BA like myself understand how strict they are on even giving extra time and that they simply don't award TP's but this must surely fall within the limits of extreme duress.
@Ajm1987 lesson learnt at least but don't blame yourself here. I leave my go-bag on the table/ seat in bars in NY all the time which can be a sketchy place to say the least ( especially some of the places I frequent lol!) and it's never touched. I do keep my passport and wallet in my pockets but any POS thief wont know or care I've done that they'd just have it away but it's never happened. I'm known to carry a presence about me which may be a deterrent but none of that changes that aside from announcing your placing ur passport and cc's on the table and turning ur back after shoutning it across the bar you're not at fault here. It pays to be smart ( and my own behaviour probably isn't best practice for travellers that's for sure) but don't beat yourself up about it. IF ( no need to say) it wasn't just ur passport then while i'm sure you would've done so just remember to canx off those cards. If you have Amex then they will courier out a replacement to you worldwide to your hotel or meet you at an airport and accept ETD's as proofs as a friends had to do so before. Most banks will cover you off in some way as well.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Cw novice
The consular staff will be best placed to advise on the options for a stolen passport and replacement

In terms of renewal (although not applicable in this case) timescales the gov.uk website states the following is the quickest :

Online Premium

You get your new passport at your appointment. Appointments last up to 30 minutes.

You can use this service to renew an adult passport.
But not if your passport has been stolen! Also, having used ETDs before, the first UK border agent to see it wil confiscate it. They won’t read any convoluted routing. These are get home passes and going elsewhere to get home won’t be allowed. I had trip to HEL (ironically) booked and writing MIL-LHR-HEL-LHR simply wasn’t going to happen.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by GBobon
if you have b2b at OTP, there is a transfer flow and no one will check your passport, otherwise they might refuse your entry with this emergency passport (because of lack of knowledge on how to act on such situation) or it can be everything fine if you have your ID card. just before the passport control you will see the security check for transiting pax. good luck!
Sorry, but that is not entirely correct; so far the majority of B2B FTrs (included me) were asked to go to passport control anyway and have the passport checked before being allowed to access the transit security. Skipping the passport control in an OTP B2B is an exception, not the norm.
orbitmic and madfish like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FrancisA
These are get home passes and going elsewhere to get home won’t be allowed.
That is indeed their purpose, and while the OP wouldn't normally be checked by the Border Force on HEL-LHR-OTP, they would be checked by BA at Flight Connections LHR and I suspect someone would be called over from the Border Force. Moreover, even if you did get past that obstacle, I'm not sure I'd want to find out what the police at OTP would do when presented with this at immigration. Going via HEL is fine, assuming the airline doesn't also have an issue, but I'd get out at the first opportunity thereafter.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is indeed their purpose, and while the OP wouldn't normally be checked by the Border Force on HEL-LHR-OTP, they would be checked by BA at Flight Connections LHR and I suspect someone would be called over from the Border Force. Moreover, even if you did get past that obstacle, I'm not sure I'd want to find out what the police at OTP would do when presented with this at immigration. Going via HEL is fine, assuming the airline doesn't also have an issue, but I'd get out at the first opportunity thereafter.
OP has no risk at LHR. Worse case he does not get to OTP bound plane. But has nothing to lose trying.

At OTP isn't worse case being put on next plane back, which is what OP wants?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly
Sorry, but that is not entirely correct; so far the majority of B2B FTrs (included me) were asked to go to passport control anyway and have the passport checked before being allowed to access the transit security. Skipping the passport control in an OTP B2B is an exception, not the norm.
I never had a intl to intl flight transfer at OTP (is my homebase), but on last Sunday when I landed from ATH there was a passenger from my flight connecting on the OS flight to VIE and she was returned from passport control to the security check from transit point... the transfer point is just before the last escalator to the passport control queues.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBobon
I never had a transfer at OTP (is my homebase), but on last Sunday when I landed from ATH there was a passenger from my flight connecting on the OS flight to VIE and she was returned from passport control to the security check from transit point...
i think there are quite a few reports of b2b in recent months on this board and they usually seem to involve the process as noted by Lefly.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:54 pm

@KARFA, i just checked the airport maps, hence OTP is my final destination I dont pay too much attention how the arrivals flow is designed. as many of you know there are two passport control points at OTP. One passport control point is located on the top floor on the ”new” part of the terminal (above gates 9-16), and the other one is located on the old terminal (above the first duty free shop you have when you go to the gates). if you are getting disembarked and your passport control point is the one from the ”new” part of the terminal, then there is no transfer flow but you have to pass the passport control and go back to the departures. however, if you are disembarked at a gate 2-8 then you will go to the old passport control and before you reach it you will see the security check for transfer pax, as described on my prev post.

airport map: http://www.bucharestairports.ro/file...oanda_2014.pdf
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
When I did a b2b at OTP a couple of weeks ago, arriving at gate 7, the belt barrier into the transfer channel was in an L shape, the entry pointing towards the rightmost security checkpoint.
I was queuing for that checkpoint, but then another member of the border force appeared, whom I asked about going straight through; a quick glance at our passports and we were through.
I got the impression that either he or his colleague in the booth would have had to check our passports, and we couldn’t have just dog-legged around the belt stanchion and into the channel without breaking their rules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.