Search

LHR terminal 5 domestic connection time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
LHR terminal 5 domestic connection time

Hi all

Sorry to make a new thread for such a minor issue, but wasn't sure where to post this. My friend flying GIG-LHR-MAN has a 1hr5m connection in LHR. Will he have to go through immigration and customs at LHR and then make it to the LHR-MAN gate? I'm assuming it's the same terminal, but is this enough time?

Cheers
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
MCT is 60 min so 65 min is fine unless he gets delayed, simple as that.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
He will have to go through the UK Border in LHR, there is a special area in Flight Connections for this. He also clears customs but that involves walking past a red telephone currently hidden by a temporary HAL booth which 99.97% of passengers won't notice (invented statistic alert), then security, which he will certainly notice. 65 minutes is fine, 45 minutes do-able, and if all else fails he will just be rebooked. There is a very detailed guide to Flight Connections in T5 in the Dashboard.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
He will have to clear immigration, customs (such as it is) and then re-clear security at LHR. My experience is that the MCT of 60 minutes, particularly if arriving at B or C gate at a busy time of day, can be a little tight (though, anecdotally, it seems to be better recently). Assuming it's on the same PNR, if it doesn't happen then BA will put him on the next flight so no need to stress about it at all.

There are ways to optimise if you have status and/or EU passport but if unsure just stick with the path through connections. If I have time then I usually clear immigration at the automated machines, take the lift upstairs in arrivals and go through the first wing as it's fairly predictable time wise (less than 20 minutes) and a nicer experience, however if I'm tight for time I'll rather queue at connections fast track as I've never been entirely sure how not using connections would be viewed if I missed conformance for the flight.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Just a follow-up question, if my friend is flying out of terminal 5 in LHR, and I'm flying out of terminal 3, will I be able to get into terminal 5 to join him in a Priority Pass lounge, or no? (or him into terminal 3)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apollo00
He will have to clear immigration, customs (such as it is) and then re-clear security at LHR. My experience is that the MCT of 60 minutes, particularly if arriving at B or C gate at a busy time of day, can be a little tight (though, anecdotally, it seems to be better recently). Assuming it's on the same PNR, if it doesn't happen then BA will put him on the next flight so no need to stress about it at all.

There are ways to optimise if you have status and/or EU passport but if unsure just stick with the path through connections. If I have time then I usually clear immigration at the automated machines, take the lift upstairs in arrivals and go through the first wing as it's fairly predictable time wise (less than 20 minutes) and a nicer experience, however if I'm tight for time I'll rather queue at connections fast track as I've never been entirely sure how not using connections would be viewed if I missed conformance for the flight.
Thanks. This is his first time on an airplane ever (I took advantage of that 50% off Avios redemption sale a couple months ago to buy him a cheap (no YQ) ticket from GIG)... he's excited to visit London and Manchester, but since it's his first time on an airplane, much less a busy international terminal like LHR, I think I should give him a bit more time to connect. Cheers!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wiivile
Just a follow-up question, if my friend is flying out of terminal 5 in LHR, and I'm flying out of terminal 3, will I be able to get into terminal 5 to join him in a Priority Pass lounge, or no? (or him into terminal 3)
The short answer is 'no'. Neither of you will be able to go airside in the other's departure terminal.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
That's a NO and NO to both questions
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Nothing to do with the actual question but here is some well-intentioned advice from someone who has extensive experience of British/Brazilian travel issues. Adult first time flyer from Brazil using a ticket that was purchased on his behalf may be subject to some additional scrutiny. Just remind him to make sure he has good quality and truthful answers to any line of questioning he may encounter at the border. Ties to homeland, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
He will have to go through the UK Border in LHR, there is a special area in Flight Connections for this. He also clears customs but that involves walking past a red telephone currently hidden by a temporary HAL booth which 99.97% of passengers won't notice (invented statistic alert), then security, which he will certainly notice. 65 minutes is fine, 45 minutes do-able, and if all else fails he will just be rebooked. There is a very detailed guide to Flight Connections in T5 in the Dashboard.
Correct me if I am wrong but the OP would clear Customs in MAN if he is connecting and staying airside at LHR T5 same as say me flying LAX-LHR-EDI, I clear Customs in Edinburgh. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Nothing to do with the actual question but here is some well-intentioned advice from someone who has extensive experience of British/Brazilian travel issues. Adult first time flyer from Brazil using a ticket that was purchased on his behalf may be subject to some additional scrutiny. Just remind him to make sure he has good quality and truthful answers to any line of questioning he may encounter at the border. Ties to homeland, etc.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, how would anyone (particularly customs/immigration) know whether the ticket was purchased on his behalf?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PETER01
Correct me if I am wrong but the OP would clear Customs in MAN if he is connecting and staying airside at LHR T5 same as say me flying LAX-LHR-EDI, I clear Customs in Edinburgh. Am I missing something?
You and your hand luggage clear customs in LHR, hence the red telephone in LHR Flight Connections, whereas your checked bag would clear customs in EDI in that scenario, however HMRC and the Border Force have broad powers to work in either location.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Thanks. Out of curiosity, how would anyone (particularly customs/immigration) know whether the ticket was purchased on his behalf?
Not initially, but a fresh passport , adult never been anywhere previously, may prompt such questions. Don't worry about it, just say exactly the facts without hesitation.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
On the assumption that you're talking about the same day as the GIG-LHR-MAN connection, I think you can probably see from the other answers that even if it were possible to get him into a lounge, he is likely to have precious little time to make use of any lounge access.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
On the assumption that you're talking about the same day as the GIG-LHR-MAN connection, I think you can probably see from the other answers that even if it were possible to get him into a lounge, he is likely to have precious little time to make use of any lounge access.
Sorry, that question was in regard to his return flight from LHR to GIG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.