FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Duty Free goods and transfer between flights at LHR while on BA flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1922647-duty-free-goods-transfer-between-flights-lhr-while-ba-flight.html)

lavender1365 Jul 31, 2018 7:01 am

Duty Free goods and transfer between flights at LHR while on BA flight

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I will be flying from SFO to LHR and on to connection continental Europe. I need to bring some gifts and would like to procure various perfumes in duty free at SFO. Question: will this be a problem going through security in LHR?
Many thanks for your help.

mckvakk Jul 31, 2018 7:04 am

My last trip from the states was a couple years ago, but weren't a problem then.

They should ask you if you have a connecting flight, and then pack the items in a sealed bag that you put in a tray when going through security at LHR. If they don't ask, just remind them :)
Note that you're only allowed to bring it through for 24hrs or so after purchase.

NeverFirst Jul 31, 2018 7:24 am

Heathrow Website

What are the changes to the liquids rules?

Duty free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from any airport or airline may now be carried as hand baggage. However, these must be sealed at the time of purchase with the receipt inside a security tamper-evident bag. Following the initial x-ray scan, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks.

SWISSBOBBY Jul 31, 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mckvakk (Post 30031183)
My last trip from the states was a couple years ago, but weren't a problem then.

They should ask you if you have a connecting flight, and then pack the items in a sealed bag that you put in a tray when going through security at LHR. If they don't ask, just remind them :)
Note that you're only allowed to bring it through for 24hrs or so after purchase.

Double check that the receipt has been placed in the sealed/tamper-proof bag and is visible. Last time I brought stuff through LHR, it was EU to DOM they also put the sealed bag into secondary, opened it and did a whole what test... they did not have further bags for me to have it put into a new usable bag!!!

john205 Jul 31, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by mckvakk (Post 30031183)

Tell them you have a connecting flight when purchasing and they should bag it like this. I did this on JFK -> LHR -> AMS -> LHR without issue a couple of years ago. Make sure it remains sealed. I think I even transited landside at LHR.

JulyTourist Jul 31, 2018 10:33 am

Same question, relative flying Vancouver to LHR, transfering onto domestic to Leeds Bradford. Are they safe with sealed duty free bags from Vancouver? Another Canadian relly doing Toronto/LHR/Manchester had several bottles of booze/perfume confiscated quite a long time ago...... Many thanks for any advice, JT