Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying mixed economy and business fare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Buying mixed economy and business fare

I am looking to buy a fare from LHR to DUB. Economy (plus) out and business return. This doesn’t seem to be possible for any dates, even though it’s possible on other routes. I can even price it on ITA (N out, I return). Is this the norm for DUB?

My main consideration is the baggage allowance on the return leg. I could
1. Buy a business return
2. Buy a return plus fare with extra baggage on return leg (cheaper than above but with only 23kg bags rather than 32kg).
3. Buy a return plus and hope for an online offer to upgrade the return leg only - would this be possible before flying the outward leg?

Thanks

Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Do you have any status with BA? That will affect the allowances and, therefore, what you will need to buy.

If you can buy N out and I return in ITA then it's likely you can pick up the phone and book it. BookWithMatrix can price it correctly in Priceline but says that both legs are economy, so there may be issues.

I know that some of the cheaper (non-flex) Dublin fares don't allow mixed class bookings - not sure why.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Any reason why you don't want to book it as two one-way trips? Then you can get the outbound in economy and inbound in business.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Do you have any status with BA? That will affect the allowances and, therefore, what you will need to buy.

If you can buy N out and I return in ITA then it's likely you can pick up the phone and book it. BookWithMatrix can price it correctly in Priceline but says that both legs are economy, so there may be issues.
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Any reason why you don't want to book it as two one-way trips? Then you can get the outbound in economy and inbound in business.
Thank you.

I have no status with OW. This is a positioning flight for a *A long haul. Occasionally I use LH or LX, (we miss you BD), but usually price and scheduling means this isn’t viable. I hence try and use BA, at least on the return leg.

Booking them as two one-ways is about the same price as a CE return so no gain there. (Aren’t short haul one-ways typically more expensive than when booked as a return on BA? My limited experience tells me so).

I might use use a call centre. I assume that will cost an extra £10.

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
One way business is pricey!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Fair enough; I have only ever had a need to book one-way ticket or a return, never looked into booking a return as 2 x one way trips. My partner does a lot of one way trips and doesn't think the cost difference is significant.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Fair enough; I have only ever had a need to book one-way ticket or a return, never looked into booking a return as 2 x one way trips. My partner does a lot of one way trips and doesn't think the cost difference is significant.
One-way business class trips?

If you've never tried booking a round trip using two one-way tickets, you may never have seen just how costly your suggestion could prove to be.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Since this cannot be booked online, BA should waive the fees for booking this through a call center. when you start your conversation with the agent, tell them you want to do something that you tried to do online but couldn't (because this was a mixed-class itinerary).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by kilo
I am looking to buy a fare from LHR to DUB. Economy (plus) out and business return. This doesn’t seem to be possible for any dates, even though it’s possible on other routes. I can even price it on ITA (N out, I return). Is this the norm for DUB?

My main consideration is the baggage allowance on the return leg. I could
1. Buy a business return
2. Buy a return plus fare with extra baggage on return leg (cheaper than above but with only 23kg bags rather than 32kg).
3. Buy a return plus and hope for an online offer to upgrade the return leg only - would this be possible before flying the outward leg?

Thanks

One thing to note is. In the past BA would give you CE baggage on a mixed cabin booking CE+ET This is "not" the case. You now get CE on CE and on the ET leg you get ET baggage allowance.

We used to always use this when non-status for Ski gear. Buy a CE one way and get the extra bag on the other.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This appears to be an online problem with the BA website for routes with multiple LON airports. I've had it with both GLA and AMS. You also get the same problem if you try and book a mixed HBO and plus fare (often want SDC flexabilty on the return). Easy to book over the phone, and they do waive the booking fee eventually (has taken some convincing sometimes).

More info on this on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862657-news-basic-fares-hbo-become-combinable.html
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
That is a very strange bug indeed...! No problem making such a booking to other airports (tried OTP), but DUB just won't have it. A long and winding phone call it is. As others say: request the booking fee to be waived, as BA doesn't offer online purchase for such a ticket (likely due to IT balls-up, so it's not your issue).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
One thing to note is. In the past BA would give you CE baggage on a mixed cabin booking CE+ET This is "not" the case. You now get CE on CE and on the ET leg you get ET baggage allowance.

We used to always use this when non-status for Ski gear. Buy a CE one way and get the extra bag on the other.
Yes I understand this. I’m going out light and coming back heavy
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barneyb
This appears to be an online problem with the BA website for routes with multiple LON airports. I've had it with both GLA and AMS. You also get the same problem if you try and book a mixed HBO and plus fare (often want SDC flexabilty on the return). Easy to book over the phone, and they do waive the booking fee eventually (has taken some convincing sometimes).

More info on this on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862657-news-basic-fares-hbo-become-combinable.html
Although with AMS you can combine plus with CE. With DUB you can’t.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:58 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kilo

Although with AMS you can combine plus with CE. With DUB you can’t.
Same issue with LHR-GLA. No possibility to combine Economy Basic or Plus with a Business fare, online at least. I haven't tried calling, so not sure if this is an IT issue or something specific to fare rules on these routes. It certainly was possible on the GLA route in the past.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had a similar query for EDI-LHR. I wanted CE outbound and ET return for 2 pax. I was advised to book online and call within 24 hours to amend the booking in the free amendments/ changes/ cancellations window. In the end I decided against upgrading at time of booking, partly due to hassle but also when you think about it as a separate transaction of £140 rather than an incremental £300ish to £400ish it felt rather expensive.

Being fickle and inconsistent, I later took a POUG on the outbound. And being lucky, we got an Op-Up on the inbound. Obviously you can’t rely on this happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.