Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Passport renewed after first leg of itinerary has been flown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver

Booked HKG - LHR - HKG.
Already flown the HKG - LHR leg.
Now I want to renew my UK passport while in the UK this summer, so will fly the LHR - HKG leg back on a new passport.
Will this affect my booking in any way, given that I originally booked both legs on my original passport number?
I assume that if I update my passport number on my profile then it should be OK, but does anyone see any difficulties with this?

Thanks for any advice / reassurance!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by pollycat
Booked HKG - LHR - HKG.
Now I want to renew my UK passport while in the UK this summer, so will fly the LHR - HKG leg back on a new passport.
Will this affect my booking in any way, given that I originally booked both legs on my original passport number?
I assume that if I update my passport number on my profile then it should be OK, but does anyone see any difficulties with this?

Don’t stress!! Get your passport renewed and then check in online and when dropping your bag off at the airport just ask them to reswipe your passport as you have had your passport renewed and so the details would have changed!

It causes no issues.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
No issue whatsoever. I change my passport part-way through the booking at least every couple of years and never had a problem. You can just update the info on your BAEC profile (or MMBif you are not a member).
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:18 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Biggest issue I had with passports was when I had both my passports (both UK ones) with me on a trip to Seoul. Entered with one passport, and produced the other passport on leaving. That caused a few looks and a frown after scanning, when I apologised and said - "Sorry, wrong passport I entered with this one"
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
To be honest, at check in, very few destinations would generate a response from passport info being invalid.... other than USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa (would generate an APP error with incorrect passport number) and maybe one or two others it would generate some kind of “no visa issued” error (as Visas are usually passport number specific)

And passport data doesn’t appear on the general check in screen, it has to be hunt for which no one would bother with to check it was correct...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I see now that it’s not a big deal.
This is reassuring.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
No issue whatsoever. I change my passport part-way through the booking at least every couple of years and never had a problem. You can just update the info on your BAEC profile (or MMBif you are not a member).
Out of interest, why do you change your passport every couple of years? Do you have multiple nationalities?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Agree with what others have said that it won't be an issue for BA, but will it cause any issue when you get back to HKG? Possibly if there's a residency or working visa associated with old passport?

I know I did the 1-day renewal of my passport while back in UK (from US ) recently, and found out that by luck (rather than careful planning) that my Global Entry runs purely off my Green Card number rather than my passport number.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pollycat
Booked HKG - LHR - HKG.

If you renew your passport doesn't the number remain the same? Only the expiry date will change.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
In the days before everything was electronic, I had to have 2 passports for work. Visas and etc. I never had an issue, except in Taiwan. Their records were computerised with all my data on it - pp no., addr., and etc. Tried to get out with the wrong one. They were very polite and nice about it, but rather suspicious.
Others who had computers in those days like Sin were more relaxed.
I was much more careful in the obvious places to be careful, like India and Pakistan.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by babats
If you renew your passport doesn't the number remain the same? Only the expiry date will change.
No, you get a different passport number.

There are some odd exceptions such as reduced-price early renewal for Australian passports where the passport number changes but the expiry date remains the same as the old one (process you can elect to use when your pages fill up well before the expiry of the original passport).

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Out of interest, why do you change your passport every couple of years?
A very simple problem of running out of pages because of stamps etc. I consider it good if it lasts 2 years.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had no problems - went back to the UK to renew mine (actually really just to pick it up). Left the US on the old one and returned on the new one (which you might think would cause issues, but no...).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CKBA
I've had no problems - went back to the UK to renew mine (actually really just to pick it up). Left the US on the old one and returned on the new one (which you might think would cause issues, but no...).
It might have been more problematic if UK had immigration desks on departure as they do in many parts of the world.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Out of interest, why do you change your passport every couple of years? Do you have multiple nationalities?
I get maxi passports (in South Africa) which have 36 instead of 24 pages and travel a moderate (by Ft terms) amount (but virtually all international) and have just received my 3rd passport in 7 years.

Problem for me is lots of full page sticker visas taking up half the passport. I got in about 150 stamps in my last one (+8 or 9 full page visas)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
It might have been more problematic if UK had immigration desks on departure as they do in many parts of the world.
You don't need desks to do exit processes. That's why they scan your passport at check-in and they pass the info electronically to the relevant immigration authorities. In the UK the Home Office and the CBP in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.